New LEMAX LX70. Killer Polarion PH50.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Xeray XV-LX70. Killer Polarion PH50.

Unfortunately, interest here has been delayed or lost...Karl

Patriot and BVH are both doing reviews, Patriot should be able to get started next week. BVH a couple of weeks later.

It should all be completed in the next 4 weeks or so.
Christmas and New Years holidays could delay the reports a little, not sure at this time.

Then we will likely try another group buy.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well now, this IS good news! Very much excited about the reviews and another possible future group buy!

Karl

Patriot

Flashaholic

I received the XeRay last night, late via FedEx, before heading off to Christmas parties. I just finished another tonight and have only spent about an hour inspecting and using the light, despite my excitement to have it in hand.

I won't have pictures of the light posted until tomorrow but plan to do that along with beamshots, beam videos, a full review video and possibly a comparison video. That would entail the XeRay and another light, if it's up to the challenge, for an overnight backpacking trip in the AZ mountains. It will be an equipment logistics nightmare. Having just added up the 5.1lbs of weight the XeRay has my pack up to 67lbs with the other lights, tripods, cameras, food, water and cold weather gear. :eek:

First impressions of the light:

1)Smaller than I thought it would be based on existing pictures.
2)The switch is ingenious! Smooth, consistent, and very SAFE!
3)The polycarbonate handle is fantastic, well balanced and seems to be very tough!
4)Without having compared it to anything else, the output looks spectacular on it's own. I'm excited to do beamshots!
:thumbsup:

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened

Hi Patriot
67lbs of gear? Thanks a lot for your hard work & highly expecting for yours & BVH's great reviews!

Patriot

Flashaholic

Wow, going to take this light backpacking???!!!! Maybe just a tad over gunned in the lighting department? I've always gone LIGHTER (weight that is!) when backpacking....carrying a spare battery as well? Not sure this was intended to be a backpacking light... Hey Patriot, what say you?

I was reading through the thread again and caught this Karl. Sorry for the initial miss, but this is a favorite subject of mine!

From a practical standpoint no, it's not even remotely a backpacking light, which is pretty self evident as you stated. The LX70 is 5.1lbs and an extra battery is 1.85lbs. That's more than the equivalent of 3L of water weight.

Military and search & rescue would fall into a different needs parameters and enthusiast usage might override any concerns of practicality. In any of these exceptions it really depends on what's trying to be accomplished. Using a light out to extended range, foliage permitting, is the quickest way to navigate "close in" especially when you already have familiarity with an area. I've taken a few night hikes in the Superstition Mtns, where there's usually several landmarks visible with a good light like the Abyss for example. I don't need to look at a map if I can just aim a light and see a familiar rock face, or canyon from a few hundred yards away. If I can get away with a smaller LED light like the TK75, even better. It just depends on how spread out things are. No matter how you look at it though, it should be considered a luxury item for this purpose and depending on the light it might not feel like much of a "luxury" when you're hiking and extra 4lbs up a 1500 ft climb.

These days, topo mapped gps units combined with aerial images can tell us what the topography is around us, so using a powerful light for navigation is a weighty proposal. If you're trying to visually locate a point or object for reasons besides navigation, like finding a downed aircraft in a gorge or spotting wildlife, now we're stuck with the dilemma of which tool to use. All other things being relatively equal, level of performance/capability is directly correlated to weight.

For my uses, I have never taken a large HID or LED on a multi-day trip because my uses would never justify the agony of the load. An overnighter with the support of other hikers might allow for a light up to 1.5lbs if we planned on hiking at night or were going to explore lava tubes or something. The problem becomes having to lug around the weight 8-10 hours a day in exchange for a couple of hours worth of night time capability.

My typical 3 day load consists of an 18650 headlamp and 18650 flashlight totaling about 240 grams.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe Patriot will keep it through Christmas weekend and then BVH can have it for the New years holiday period. Hint Hint. If you so choose.:thumbsup:

Maybe you want to pass it forward to BVH because you don't want to play with it during the holidays, that decision is yours Patriot.

I am not trying to rush you, please understand that, if you want or need it for 3 weeks, that's fine too.
BVH can be patient, I think.:whistle:

Dan

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pictures partriot! :)
The more the better :D
For the sake of documentation you could add the light to your HID warm-up series on youtube...of course I mean after you do an extended Desktop Review :D :D

Patriot

Flashaholic

Maybe Patriot will keep it through Christmas weekend and then BVH can have it for the New years holiday period. Hint Hint. If you so choose.:thumbsup:Dan

Cool, Dan...thanks :) I see that Bob already responded too.

Thanks for the pictures partriot! :)
The more the better :D
For the sake of documentation you could add the light to your HID warm-up series on youtube...of course I mean after you do an extended Desktop Review :D :D

I'll still have to decide what I'm going to do on that one. Either I wait to put it in the review only, or create a new youtube channel for short video's and "extra's" and load it there, or just post it on my main channel and see if viewers complain about it...haha! :whistle:

I have plenty of projects to keep me busy so take all the time you want Paul.

Ok that's good to hear because I might need 3 weeks with this one. :D

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok that's good to hear because I might need 3 weeks with this one. :D

More than 3 weeks, if needed for your convenience, schedule and some fun (play) time as well.
I was not trying to create a schedule of any sort.
I Just wanted to remove any pressure you might feel (assume) from XeVision to get this done "quickly".

Dan

Patriot

Flashaholic

More than 3 weeks, if needed for your convenience, schedule and some fun (play) time as well.
I was not trying to create a schedule of any sort.
I Just wanted to remove any pressure you might feel (assume) from XeVision to get this done "quickly".Dan

Ok Dan, that sounds great! I'm eager to get rolling on this one and thanks again for sending it my way!:thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ok guys, here are some beamshots at 237 yards. I threw in a couple of 3500L LED lights in with the HID's as well. As was expected, some mighty good performance out of the LX70!

237 Yards to concrete drainage. 4" @ F4.0, ISO/100, AWB, slightly zoomed.

Control

Nitecore TM26

Fenix RC40

Polarion Abyss @ 30W

Polarion Abyss @ 45W

Polarion PH50

XeVision LX70 @ 50W

XeVision LX70 @ 70W

Dmitriyrus

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, here are some beamshots

Polarion PH50 should be directed above.
Hotspot PH50 does not fall on concrete drainage.
This is clearly evident while browsing the a single window
For a correct comparison of PH50 and LX70, necessary re-shoot photos

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your efforts Patriot!

The light is more compact than I though it would be :thumbsup:

@Dmitriyrus: I agree with you that the pH50 is pointed lower than the others, but it doesn't make much of a difference. It is only a little bit stronger than the Abyss. The Lemax LX-70 is obviously a much better thrower and has more "beam-lumens".

Last edited:

Dmitriyrus

Newly Enlightened
It would be very interesting to compare Xeray Barnburner 75W and Xeray LX70.
For those who not matter waterproof and aluminum housing... But bright light is only important