NEW Malkoff Minimag drop in!!!!!!!!(PICS)

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have waited several months for Gene to make me a drop in for my minimag. It has finally arrived today and the wait was well worth it.

This is a prototype and I am sure Gene will post more info of when it is a production Item.

This thing is bright and like all his creations, very well made.

The beamshot below is a comparison of the terralux tle-5ex vs the malkoff minimag drop in. The picture does no justice, the malkoff kills it!!! I will post some outdoor beamshots later so you guys have a better Idea.

According to Gene the light puts out over 120 lumens

2377747698_6577f25fdd.jpg

2378086840_dcecbeb803.jpg

2377744878_0dba3a00c0.jpg

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff minimag drop in..... (PICS)

any pics of the drop in, and whats the current draw on this puppy

better not be an aprils fools joke your an hour early :D

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could we get a picture with the head removed ?

Cydonia

Enlightened

Does it use an aluminum reflector as heat sink slug? How does it wick the heat away? Another interesting development... prototype... wow.

mossdabomb

Newly Enlightened

If that estimated output is correct, this will be entriguing.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

:popcorn:

third parties are doing for mag what they should be doing themselves...

Crenshaw

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Guys,

I will post more pics as soon as I get to work this morning.

After playing with it last night for over an hour this thing is still brighter than my Fenix P1D on high

GPB

Enlightened
any idea when he will be offering this product and how much it'll cost ?

I wonder if anyone at Maglite is aware of how big the demand is for upgrades to their lights, and why they haven't tried to offer some sort of higher powered options ??

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if anyone at Maglite is aware of how big the demand is for upgrades to their lights
The demand that you see here is only a drop in the bucket. Even if there were 1,000 people here that would only be less than 1% of the MAG sales. MAG has no reason to upgrade to a costlier light when what they have is selling fine. Most don't know, and don't care, about having a better light. The MAG works for them.

Wattnot

Enlightened
MAG has no reason to upgrade to a costlier light when what they have is selling fine. Most don't know, and don't care, about having a better light. The MAG works for them.

+1 . . . besides, it's fun pulling out my LOD and outshining most Mags. If they "fix" them to our standards, then our secrets will be out and next thing you know even the ushers in theaters will have Crees!! Don't you always want to have the light that always wins? :crackup:

GPB

Enlightened
I suppose you are right, and the regular MagLED isn't all that bad for a mainstream, $35.00 light........its just that if all these other companies ( Malkoff, Terralux, etc ) can make drop ins and a profit, you would think Mag could do it even cheaper and sell more of them, since they already have all the manufacturing equipment, distribution system, and recognizeable brand name.

lmychajluk

Newly Enlightened
Exactly. An incandescent C/D MagLight can be had for $10. A decent LED drop-in for $20 in bulk. I can't think of any reason that Mag shouldn't be selling an LED version that blows it's current offering away for less than $30.

GPB

Enlightened
I wonder if Mag purposely limited the output of its LED so that it could have longer burn time ? The 3D LED goes for 20+ hours or something. Maybe they think the general public wouldn't tolerate a light with only 3 or 4 hours of burn time.....or maybe the cost went above what they thought the public would pay. I expect they just went into their LED project trying to just get a little more light than their incan bulb, which is too bad.....they could have done a lot more.

kavvika

Enlightened
Mag-Lite purposely limited the current in it's MagLED products so the poor, unheatsinked LED wouldn't burn itself out. I think the much longer runtime is just thanks to the inherent efficiencies of the LED. After all, the 2AA MiniMagLED "only" gets 3:45 of declining runtime before it shuts off, leaving the user in the dark. The average user who had been used to their MiniMaglite would be a little concerned about suddenly having their light go out, so I don't believe runtime was Maglite's intent.