New Mini MagLED multi-mode (pictures)

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep, that's it.

The old, original (classic) Mini-Mag,

which used an incand. bulb, simply wouldn't

function well on the lower voltage of ni-cad or NiMH cells.

That bulb was designed to be used with Alkalines.

Preferably brand-new, right outta' the package.

:whistle:

I can assure you that all Mini-MagLED models

perform just GREAT on NiMH rechargeables.

:thumbsup:

_

GPB

Enlightened
I figured it would be fine, and as soon as the alkalines that came with it are dead, I'll stick some NiMH cells in there. Interestingly enough, I assume Mag doesn't want us to use Lithium cells in there either since they say "alkaline only".

Like the old saying goes....you have to learn to walk before you can run. The fact that Mag is already redesigning their LED lights is an admission that they needed work. That's an encouraging step for them.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Rebel mini MagLED works well with Lithium primaries (L91) as well.
Seems a bit brighter than when I was using Eneloops in it.

Since mine has a tint that I do not like, the Rebel mini MagLED has been banished to the car.
Seriously though, I wanted one for the car anyway since it has strobe and SOS modes (the only time I actually want those modes).

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since mine has a tint that I do not like, the Rebel mini MagLED has been banished to the car.
Seriously though, I wanted one for the car anyway since it has strobe and SOS modes (the only time I actually want those modes).

Funny, they just came to Quebec and I bought one from walmart, and it has crappy blue tint too.

The output is disappointing, on high is about the same as medium of R2'ed L0D. :( However the metal module can DOES contact the aluminum body directly so that provides some heatsinking, although at this output level probably not useful. The module drops out easily if pushed from top, but I haven't tried disassemble any further yet. Beam is also quite tight and not defocusable. But for $25, I guess it's not too bad.

Oh yeah, it's about an inch longer than incan minimag too.

Last edited:

Fooboy

Enlightened
where can I get one in Charlotte, NC?

Which retailers have them? Checked Lowes and Walmart ... ****s Sporting Goods ... nothing.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you please post high and low shots at the same time?

What's the runtime on high vs. low? on NiMH, L91 and Alks.

Power draw on fresh NiMH is 400ma on high and 100ma on low, so that should translate to 5 hours of regulation with 2500mah energizer, or 4 hour with eneloop.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to report the heatsinking on minimag is quite decent. Ran the light at high for half an hour, took out the pill and it's not even warm.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone post a picture of the back of the packaging, with text readable? I went to Fry's and saw one of these a couple days ago and I swear that Mag claimed they "pioneered" multimode flashlights or something to that effect.

nekousagi

Newly Enlightened
I have old and new LED minimag(black and comouflage )and it looks almost same so I remove the unit and change each other and it was posiible Only difference is unit and parts holds the unit.
So now I got comouflage new minimag and black old one and it make me littele happy.:grin2:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Buddy of mine bought one and I got to handle it last night.

It is pretty bright out in the dark. It isn't as cumbersome to use as I might have thought.

It would be better with three light levels and no SOS/Strobe BS.

I did not see how the PMW was in low output as I didn't handle it that long indoors.

The beam is a bit sloppy on a white wall, but no factor outside.

Fooboy

Enlightened
Got one at Bass Pro shops for $22.

Not a bad little light for use in emergencies.

Note - the SureFire F04 first the bezel perfectly.

o0o

Enlightened
I would have preferred the following:

1. Only 2 settings, high and low

Why: Strobe and SOS I've NEVER used, and I don't see the point to over complicating a system by having to scroll thru 4 levels

2. The ability to change settings without turning on and off. Perhaps a small button located strategically that only changes settings

Why: 95% of the time, I want the light to come on in low power. Why use up extra energy if not required? For the 5% of time where you need high power immediately, it would be nice if the light remembered the last setting it was used before it was turned off. Having a button/switch that only affects output setting would accomplish this.

Having said this, this is the most advanced design mag has come out with yet and I will be in for 2!

o0o

Enlightened
Any plans for a multi-mode option in the full size models using rebels (2D, 3D, 4D)?

o0o

Enlightened
One of the upcoming C models will apparently be a 7-mode :poof:

Hmm... really want an LED C-model, but 7 modes is overkill.

3 levels (High, medium, Low) is plenty for a C or D Maglite. We don't need a ton of SOS, flasher, blinker, etc. settings to scroll through...

When will the C-Cell model be available?

o0o

Enlightened
Another thing I hope they build, a Mini-Mag LED with Rebel in 1 AA size.

The 2AA LED has grown a lot bigger than the 2AA Incandescent due to the circuitry and reflector.

A 1AA LED would make the Mini-Mag a lot easier to EDC.

Give it 2 settings: 20 lumens and 5 lumens...

ps56k

Enlightened
wonder if the standard tail push button add-on will toggle the multi-function ?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greater output, more efficient battery use, user selectable output & NO price increase? :eek:

Maglite is on a winner here! and so is the general public! :thumbsup: