New Mini MagLED multi-mode (pictures)

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one.I also have the three cell AA. It's a bit long to carry, but I like it otherwise. This new one is a pain to cycle from hi beam to low beam when you are working on something. I do like the lowpower option tho. My Fenix L2T is still my edc, while the minimag is ok around the house.

GPB

Enlightened
Any switch will allow you to switch between modes. I put the mini mag module into a 2D mag and the regular switch works fine to switch modes.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I know it would not work with the earlier LED minis. They have a cap that extends deeper into the mini and has the ground way up in there.

Would not know about the newest mini LED but figure it's probably the same.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it will. I'll go grab the one in the car and check it out.

EDIT: Nope, same problem as the original Mini MagLED - spring on the IQ switch is about 1/8" too short.
If you could stretch the spring on the IQ switch, it would probably work.
A small spacer might work (i.e. small metal washers with a solder blob in the centre). Not sure if that would cause a short though :thinking:

EDIT 2: It does work if you put a small rare earth magnet on negative end of the battery (I used a 1/4" x 1/10" from Lee Valley).

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
Doesn't the IQ switch have the circuitry for multi-modes in the switch ?? If it does, then a quick on-off would change the mode in both the LED module ( reduced by 75% ) and the IQ switch ( reduced by 50% ). That would get confusing after a while, and there might not even be enough current getting to the LED to light it up.

After 3 or 4 on-off cycles, you'd have both circuits trying to go into strobe mode and you'd get an erratic pattern of flashes, or no flashes at all.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the IQ switch have the circuitry for multi-modes in the switch ?? If it does, then a quick on-off would change the mode in both the LED module ( reduced by 75% ) and the IQ switch ( reduced by 50% ). That would get confusing after a while, and there might not even be enough current getting to the LED to light it up.

After 3 or 4 on-off cycles, you'd have both circuits trying to go into strobe mode and you'd get an erratic pattern of flashes, or no flashes at all.

That could be kind of interesting...

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm heading out on a 3 day backpacking trip and it's hard to believe but the new MagLED will be what goes with me. Bright enough for when I need some reach, but will use it mostly in low mode. With a translucent 35mm film canister on it in candle mode it's a nice long running lantern.

A MagLED replacing my Fenix and JetBeam AA lights...amazing!

It's not a better light, but the candle/lantern mode makes it more flexible for backpacking. A single item that can be used multiple ways is always desirable on the trail.

Worlds are colliding.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it finally happened...

hellfrozenover.jpg

:D

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it will. I'll go grab the one in the car and check it out.

EDIT: Nope, same problem as the original Mini MagLED - spring on the IQ switch is about 1/8" too short.
If you could stretch the spring on the IQ switch, it would probably work.
A small spacer might work (i.e. small metal washers with a solder blob in the centre). Not sure if that would cause a short though :thinking:

EDIT 2: It does work if you put a small rare earth magnet on negative end of the battery (I used a 1/4" x 1/10" from Lee Valley).

Thanks, I'll go pick up an IQ switch and try it out.

I have 2D module in mine so it's not a problem. :D

Last edited:

bob4apple

Enlightened
The output is disappointing

I attempted to boost the output on mine by using
one dummy AA battery along with one 14500 lion.

I found it to be noticeably brighter- well worth it, in my opinion,
even if it means a shorter runtime (not timed by me).

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally picked one of these up at a Walmart in a nearby town. Is it safe to use Energizer Lithium cells in this light? I'm asking because I plan on leaving this light in my vehicles glove compartment, and the Lithium cells handle heat better than alkalines.

jahxman

Enlightened
I finally picked one of these up at a Walmart in a nearby town. Is it safe to use Energizer Lithium cells in this light? I'm asking because I plan on leaving this light in my vehicles glove compartment, and the Lithium cells handle heat better than alkalines.

I've had one of these for some months now and keep energizer lithiums in it, is works fine, no problems.

cujet

Newly Enlightened
I bought 7 of these (at Homeless Depot) for the contractors at work. They loved them. Come to find out, I actually like it too. It performs well enough to be a primary aircraft inspection flashlight. All the mechanics have "favorites" and they generally are some form of small, high end flashlight. The little mag held it's own against all the others.

Chris

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these yesterday for about $21 at Lowes to replace my 1st gen MiniMag LED (I accidentally dropped it about 4-feet straight onto the tail cap; the resulting force was enough to dent one of the batteries and crush the light's circuitry!). I'm pretty impressed with it. It seems brighter than the older model, and the output is closer to white then my 1st gen which my 5-year old used to call "the blue flashlight". The beam could be smoother, but I don't find it objectionable. Also, mine is slightly shorter than my 1st gen MiniMag LED and it has a tail cap with a lanyard hole.

Long story short, I like it.

Dork413

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Minimag multimode 2AA about a month ago and it had the "new" style tailcap without lanyard attachment. I bought a second multimode minimag 2AA last week and it had the "original" style tailcap with lanyard attachment, identical to my old incan 2AA. The flashlight was also shorter. Still longer than an incan 2AA, but shorter than the first multimode 2AA I bought by about 1/8". I was able to use an unmodified Terralux clicky tailcap in it as well.