**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
If they produce a version with a low mode, I'll buy it. I can't see spending so much money on a hobbled light.

I do agree a lower low would have been nice, but you are really missing out on a great light. This has quickly became my go to light for around the house, walk the dog light. It's not perfect, but no light is.

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
I don't need to read you post again, I get it...BUT I totally disagree. I have a similar light LD41 U2 that has just what your looking for. 5 lumen low. I have never used it in low, and just gets in my way as I have to cycle past it. If I need a little bit of light, I don't grab for a 4 cell...period. It's like driving a semi to the corner grocery for a soda...wrong tool for the job. Food for thought....I have NEVER blinded myself even on turbo. I point the light to the ground when I turn it on....works awesome!
That would destroy night vision. 'Nuff said on that score, I think. Yes, you're right that what I would like is something like an LD41/PA40 in an EA4 package, and if those were to have the same beam characteristics and power of the EA4, no one would call them "not a searchlight" in comparison merely because they offer low modes. I simply want a compact, powerful all-rouner, and the EA4 would be nearly perfect for me except for the missing low mode. So I grouse, not to p*** off early adopters of the EA4, but because I want rational discussion of the light to include these ideas, in case someone is listening, and because I am sad at a missed opportunity that doesn't make much sense.

Using a low mode when useful, on a light that includes one, is more like driving one's car to one's destination in the proper gear, instead of burning a bunch of gas by being in the wrong gear.

Last edited:

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
Good points, I agree with you here as well. I'm sure most owners would want a lower mode. But can we agree that if the light did have a moonlight mode, lets say 1 lumen, people would be complaining about the gap between 1lm and 65lm? So we add something like a 20 lumen mode - now we're up to six modes to cycle through which would probably also get many complaints. We could cut out one of the higher modes, but then that would make others upset.

I guess we'll never be 100% satisifed, but agree it was an oversight to make 65lm the lowest mode. Although not "moonlight", an extra 15lm mode would be perfect in my opinion.
I agree. The higher the max power, the more mode placement and number can become an issue, perhaps increasing the desirability of programmability/configurability or other features like infinitely variable adjustment. I also realize that you can't please everyone. 15lm would make a lot of sense to me-- plenty for lighting one's way in the dark, reading, etc. while greatly multiplying the runtime of the light.

I also admit the EA4 is a pretty nice package even without a proper low mode. I just hope they add one, to make it nearly perfect for me. I'm done buying flashlights for a couple of months anyway, so I plan to wait and see what the future brings.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I agree. The higher the max power, the more mode placement and number can become an issue, perhaps increasing the desirability of programmability/configurability or other features like infinitely variable adjustment. I also realize that you can't please everyone. 15lm would make a lot of sense to me-- plenty for lighting one's way in the dark, reading, etc. while greatly multiplying the runtime of the light.

I also admit the EA4 is a pretty nice package even without a proper low mode. I just hope they add one, to make it nearly perfect for me. I'm done buying flashlights for a couple of months anyway, so I plan to wait and see what the future brings.

I would love to see a lower mode with longer runtime as well, say, a 3 lumen for 300 hours...however, this would either compromise the runtimes or output in either the lower or higher modes...this is marketed as an outdoor "explorer" searchlight. While a lower mode would be great for extended runtimes and preservation of night vision, 65 lumens IMO would be the bare minimum for Searching/sweeping an area for something/ someone outdoors. It's not marketed as an edc for the average person, and there are other lights to supplement this one. But imagine if only they DID include a firefly mode that could run for months...maybe the next model will have a dual driver with amp monitoring to switch between the modes and sub modes? Just an idea lol, I'm too tired to try...it might be a lucrative idea

jomox

Newly Enlightened
I would love to see a lower mode with longer runtime as well, say, a 3 lumen for 300 hours...however, this would either compromise the runtimes or output in either the lower or higher modes...this is marketed as an outdoor "explorer" searchlight. While a lower mode would be great for extended runtimes and preservation of night vision, 65 lumens IMO would be the bare minimum for Searching/sweeping an area for something/ someone outdoors. It's not marketed as an edc for the average person, and there are other lights to supplement this one. But imagine if only they DID include a firefly mode that could run for months...maybe the next model will have a dual driver with amp monitoring to switch between the modes and sub modes? Just an idea lol, I'm too tired to try...it might be a lucrative idea

Well said that man.

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
Talking about the "uneven" bezel my fresh EA4 (received yesterday from UK) had the same defect, but i solved unscrewing (with the aid of a rubber foil) and screwing it with some care.

It took a couple of minutes.

The cause of misplacement is the "play" between threads, no signs of cross-threading or CNC machining errors.

The rattle is detectable only under heavy shaking action.

Apart the fixed bezel problem, i love the UI and the flashlight is performing in amazing way, considering size and battery type.

Sure it's worth also at EU price (75-80E).

Right now my only concern is about the switch assembly working life ....time will tell !

I'm glad you were able to fix yours. Illumination Supply sent me a replacement which I received yesterday Still has a slight rattle ,but the bezel is perfect. I'm now extremely happy with this light.

Verndog

Enlightened
...I simply want a compact, powerful all-rouner, and the EA4 would be nearly perfect for me except for the missing low mode.

And all I'm saying is for me and my use as a compact "outdoor distance" light it's perfect for me as is. If I was concerned about "night vision", I would not carry only a 860 lumen search light...but that's me. If they're going after a certain market niche then the first and foremost objective is to be very good there, then attempt to add usefulness to others that may overlap. They've done that IMO, and anything under 25 lumens is useless for me for an on the go outdoor light.

Tybo22

Newly Enlightened

+1 this it what I said in my earlier post. Not an EDC light.....its a searchlight. If you are looking for an EDC with moonlight and firefly modes look elsewhere.

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
+1 this it what I said in my earlier post. Not an EDC light.....its a searchlight. If you are looking for an EDC with moonlight and firefly modes look elsewhere.
The problem with that is that it's just a rationalization. If the PA40 were missing a low mode as well, fans of the light could similarly rationalize it away by saying it's "just a searchlight". In reality the light is the same as it would be, except the low mode is missing, and it's a functional lack. I'm looking for a light like the EA4 with a proper low mode; and hopefully, due to so many people wanting a low mode, they will fix that problem in a future version.

grepeyre

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully, due to so many people wanting a low mode, they will fix that problem in a future version.

It'll be called the EA4-A (the last A for awesome ;) )

By the way, has anyone done the 'Dropping in a glass of water' test on it yet? Cyclone/Rainy season is upon me, it'd be nice to know that it'll hold up.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with that is that it's just a rationalization. If the PA40 were missing a low mode as well, fans of the light could similarly rationalize it away by saying it's "just a searchlight". In reality the light is the same as it would be, except the low mode is missing, and it's a functional lack. I'm looking for a light like the EA4 with a proper low mode; and hopefully, due to so many people wanting a low mode, they will fix that problem in a future version.

Alright, you've posted this 9 times in just the last page.
Time for you to move on I think.

Tybo22

Newly Enlightened

The pa40 is only is only 468 lumens with a throw of 170m......not a good searchlight imo. I agree a low mode would be cool but not useful in a SAR flashlight. Excluding a lower mode is not a flaw or a problem for the lights intended use. If they make a new version with a moonlight mode great. For my personal edc light i carry a SWM v11r which has a low low mode which is great for a general edc light.

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
It'll be called the EA4-A (the last A for awesome ;) )

By the way, has anyone done the 'Dropping in a glass of water' test on it yet? Cyclone/Rainy season is upon me, it'd be nice to know that it'll hold up.

I filled my bathroom sink with water, and chucked it in.. no problem at all after 10 min (i had it running on high during said test). It showed no sign of not being able to go longer, so i figured it passed ok. I will also say i applied my own silicone grease to the threads, but that was just a personal preference..

And ironically, this (along with my backup LD01) IS now my EDC light (yeah, i am somewhat a nerd). I have it on my belt, where it sits unobtrusively, and it works fine (by trade, I am a computer programmer, but having grown up a boy scout and done SAR, i feel better having it regardless).

Verndog

Enlightened
...And ironically, this (along with my backup LD01) IS now my EDC light (yeah, i am somewhat a nerd). I have it on my belt, where it sits unobtrusively, and it works fine (by trade, I am a computer programmer, but having grown up a boy scout and done SAR, i feel better having it regardless).

That's great that you find it compact enough for EDC. I read back a ways of 1 return because of accidental on and drained light while in the holster even...that concerned me a bit to be honest. Have you had no issues with it getting turned on, and do you orient the switch a certain way in holster to avoid that?

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
No issues so far, but i will be keeping an eye on it, and will update if anything happens. I admit, i do try to make a mental note to lock it out (as best as possible), and to put the power button to a corner; but i can forget, and have had no issues yet.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pa40 is only is only 468 lumens with a throw of 170m......not a good searchlight imo. I agree a low mode would be cool but not useful in a SAR flashlight. Excluding a lower mode is not a flaw or a problem for the lights intended use. If they make a new version with a moonlight mode great. For my personal edc light i carry a SWM v11r which has a low low mode which is great for a general edc light.

I have to say I agree with you about 50% and disagree about 50%. I understand the lack of practicality of putting extremely low modes on a larger light that is designed as a searchlight, not a pocket carry light. But I am not 100% sure the EA4 is, or needs to be a 100% searchlight.(lots of percentages here huh?). For its fairly small size, it could just as well serve as an everyday "around the house" light or a home emergency light. Its really not "SAR sized" compared with most SAR lights which are larger. So it could be better with 1-2 low modes.

From the perspective of any company, you want as many sales as possible, so if you produce a light that is relatively small but powerful, why not make it useful for a wider range of people using it for a wider range of uses? My Friggin' Thrunite TN30, with its 2700+ lumens and significantly larger size, still has 2 low modes which are both lower than the EA4's low mode! They are: Low 1: 1 lumen, Low 2: 38 lumens. Is it really practical to include a 1 lumen firefly mode on a fat searchlight like the TN30? Probably not, but hey, electronics are cheap, and it doesnt cost much more to give it a 1L and 38L modes.... So whats the downside of doing so, as long as you include proper medium and high modes?

So when talking about the smaller EA4, it certainly makes much more sense to add at least 1 or 2 proper low modes. Again, its not that much more costly to do so because the slight difference in electronics needed to add those modes would only result in an insignificant increase in cost, which would certainly pay for itself by making the light more flexible and therefore more desirable to a wider group of customers.....

Verndog

Enlightened
... it doesnt cost much more to give it a 1L and 38L modes.... So whats the downside of doing so, as long as you include proper medium and high modes?

One I can think of. You add more modes and you force every user to cycle though those modes to get to where he / she wants. More then 4 is overkill IMO and can lead to user frustration and additional switch wear. If they hid the low modes that many wont use then I'd still buy it.

markr6

Flashaholic
I have to say I agree with you about 50% and disagree about 50%. I understand the lack of practicality of putting extremely low modes on a larger light that is designed as a searchlight, not a pocket carry light. But I am not 100% sure the EA4 is, or needs to be a 100% searchlight.(lots of percentages here huh?). For its fairly small size, it could just as well serve as an everyday "around the house" light or a home emergency light. Its really not "SAR sized" compared with most SAR lights which are larger. So it could be better with 1-2 low modes.From the perspective of any company, you want as many sales as possible, so if you produce a light that is relatively small but powerful, why not make it useful for a wider range of people using it for a wider range of uses? My Friggin' Thrunite TN30, with its 2700+ lumens and significantly larger size, still has 2 low modes which are both lower than the EA4's low mode! They are: Low 1: 1 lumen, Low 2: 38 lumens. Is it really practical to include a 1 lumen firefly mode on a fat searchlight like the TN30? Probably not, but hey, electronics are cheap, and it doesnt cost much more to give it a 1L and 38L modes.... So whats the downside of doing so, as long as you include proper medium and high modes?So when talking about the smaller EA4, it certainly makes much more sense to add at least 1 or 2 proper low modes. Again, its not that much more costly to do so because the slight difference in electronics needed to add those modes would only result in an insignificant increase in cost, which would certainly pay for itself by making the light more flexible and therefore more desirable to a wider group of customers.....
BOOM! Discussion over IMO :) Very well put. I still love my EA4 more than any light, but not having a lower mode is like an itch I can't scratch. They came soooo close to perfect on this one for me.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say I agree with you about 50% and disagree about 50%. I understand the lack of practicality of putting extremely low modes on a larger light that is designed as a searchlight, not a pocket carry light. But I am not 100% sure the EA4 is, or needs to be a 100% searchlight.(lots of percentages here huh?). For its fairly small size, it could just as well serve as an everyday "around the house" light or a home emergency light. Its really not "SAR sized" compared with most SAR lights which are larger. So it could be better with 1-2 low modes.

From the perspective of any company, you want as many sales as possible, so if you produce a light that is relatively small but powerful, why not make it useful for a wider range of people using it for a wider range of uses? My Friggin' Thrunite TN30, with its 2700+ lumens and significantly larger size, still has 2 low modes which are both lower than the EA4's low mode! They are: Low 1: 1 lumen, Low 2: 38 lumens. Is it really practical to include a 1 lumen firefly mode on a fat searchlight like the TN30? Probably not, but hey, electronics are cheap, and it doesnt cost much more to give it a 1L and 38L modes.... So whats the downside of doing so, as long as you include proper medium and high modes?

So when talking about the smaller EA4, it certainly makes much more sense to add at least 1 or 2 proper low modes. Again, its not that much more costly to do so because the slight difference in electronics needed to add those modes would only result in an insignificant increase in cost, which would certainly pay for itself by making the light more flexible and therefore more desirable to a wider group of customers.....

Well put! I am looking at this light myself, and the lack of a real low mode does not bother me so much, but I am kind of scratching my head why one is not there nevertheless. I just got a TK70 and it is HUGE, and has a 20 lumen mode! However, because of the size of this beast, I am not sure it would be the first light I would reach for if I just needed that much light! :nana: It seems to me that it would be more logical to put a real low mode on a light the size of the EA4, than one on a very large light like the TK70.