**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I could not tell any difference in brightness in a quick indoor test, although with the difference in tint I find it had to tell without getting outside. The difference in colour was significant enough that I would not bother about it even if I could tell slight difference. I've already sold and packed up the EA4!

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
So, as much as I love my light, I will cave and admit that the lockout is useless. Twice in as many days of EDC I have found it on and warming my hip.. thankfully I haven't had to use it otherwise. I would love for nitecore to make the light do as the manual says it does, as 3 button presses are much more unlikely to happen, as opposed to one long press.

I still love it, but do have to watch out now..

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
So, as much as I love my light, I will cave and admit that the lockout is useless. Twice in as many days of EDC I have found it on and warming my hip..

This is exactly what I was afraid of. With such a great light, its functionality is severely limited by the potential for accidental activation. I'm going to wait until version 2! :)

Verndog

Enlightened
If you want to EDC this light you'll need to make damn sure the switch is 90 degs. to your belt so as not to activate it. I personally do not consider it an EDC light. It fits well loose jacket or vest pocket and the few times I've carried that way it's never come on. It's convenient and friendly for actual use, but this is the one drawback. For any carry forward elect. switch light I much prefer the 1/4 turn head 100% lockout myself. The EC25 has that.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
If you want to EDC this light you'll need to make damn sure the switch is 90 degs. to your belt so as not to activate it. I personally do not consider it an EDC light. It fits well loose jacket or vest pocket and the few times I've carried that way it's never come on. It's convenient and friendly for actual use, but this is the one drawback. For any carry forward elect. switch light I much prefer the 1/4 turn head 100% lockout myself. The EC25 has that.

I was planning on carrying it in the pocket of a scottevest, but I still think I would get accidental activations.

was_jlh

Enlightened
i loathe the holster that it ships with, too big and bulky. i tried several other holsters but the light would get accidentally turned on in each. i finally butchered an olight m20 holster, add two large rubber bands, and i've been using that. it doesnt look great, but i can carry it on my belt without it being turned on accidentally. when i place it in the holster, the button is positioned where it cannot contact anything, then the rubber bands keep it in that position.

i would love to find a holster which works with it.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I was planning on carrying it in the pocket of a scottevest, but I still think I would get accidental activations.

If it is switched off just normally it can come on accidentally, but in proper lock out [mine anyway] does not come on accidentally.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
If it is switched off just normally it can come on accidentally, but in proper lock out [mine anyway] does not come on accidentally.

Thats been my experience as well so far, carried in back pants pocket, front pants pocket, and coat pockets. Have even tried to make it happen from lockout and cant seem to. Not to say it cant and hasn't happened to others.

Cheers

Brian

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if sensitivity of the buttons on these varies, but mine only takes a gentle press to turn on. I think it could easily switch on, even from so-called lock-out, if kept anywhere the button could be touched.

I've tried unscrewing the tailcap but it almost has to be falling of before the power is cut, then the cells rattle.

When I get around to it I'm going to cut an aluminium guard, like a thick washer filed on one side to fit the body profile, and glue it to the body. I've just not got into the attic yet to get a suitable piece of aluminium.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
When I get around to it I'm going to cut an aluminium guard, like a thick washer filed on one side to fit the body profile, and glue it to the body. I've just not got into the attic yet to get a suitable piece of aluminium.

That sounds like a good idea - as my only (little) gripe with this "Light Of The Year" is locating the switch right out the pocket, I sometime find myself fumbling to find it. The washer idea would solve that one. Let me know how it goes, pref with pics (please)

magpullin

Newly Enlightened
A latecomer to this party, but I could not hold out any longer and got me one :grin2:.
I have been following this thread and looking for a new light, but had a few others in mind too.
With the big Illumination Supply discount I had to pull the trigger on this little powerhouse.
Can't wait.....

Verndog

Enlightened
That sounds like a good idea - as my only (little) gripe with this "Light Of The Year" is locating the switch right out the pocket, I sometime find myself fumbling to find it. The washer idea would solve that one. Let me know how it goes, pref with pics (please)

No doubt this is one drawback from me carrying this away from the home / property more.

This safety washer idea is a good one IMO, and I could easily CNC machine a few hundred of these for prob. about $3.00 each if people are interested. I'd prob. put 4 small little bosses that stick into the slots to prevent movement and coming off. Here is a quick cad cam solid model of what I'm thinking.
EA4-SAFETY-1.jpg

EA4-SAFETY-2.jpg

ArmoredFiend

Newly Enlightened
Still contemplating whether i should get this EA4 since i already own a TK40. Though no doubt the size of EA4 is truly..convinient compared to TK40's.

Anyone here who owns a TK40/41/45 and yet still proceed to get this EA4? Mind sharing your thoughts? Thx1

Verndog

Enlightened
I'd buy a couple Verndog.

Ya, something tells me that a cheap solution would sell itself. As I look closed and measure that small button size, I have a bit of a concern that the thumb tip may have an issue making what is now an easy activation. One thing someone might try as an easy test. Find a thick rubber band to fit over and cut a hole into it around button and see if that works or is difficult to activate. May look around at the hardware store this weekend and see if I can find something like that to try before I go a full day shop time on this.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got mine, would four of these fry the light? It only says "Y" in the manual, and the recommended are primaries and rechargeables (which are 1.5v and 1.2v respectively) so will the Energizer Lithium work? Anybody notice any output differences with the higher voltage lithium cells?

img2013020500133.jpg

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
No doubt this is one drawback from me carrying this away from the home / property more.

This safety washer idea is a good one IMO, and I could easily CNC machine a few hundred of these for prob. about $3.00 each if people are interested. I'd prob. put 4 small little bosses that stick into the slots to prevent movement and coming off. Here is a quick cad cam solid model of what I'm thinking.

That's pretty much exactly what I was envisaging, except a lot smoother and better!

I would be very interested on buying one - it will no doubt be better than what I would make with tin-snips and a file.

Last edited:

JimiJam

Newly Enlightened
Edit: Looks like link has had the same issue as me !!!
=======

Hi everyone, I recently purchased this EA4 and was initially very happy with it. But..
I left it in my car in the glovebox for a couple of days, then went to grab it tonight to go out for a walk...

(Gallery):
IMG_2039-M.jpg
IMG_2043-M.jpg

The button appears to have warped in the heat(!), expanded outwards, then cooled down into its current state :( There's some piece of plastic (button?) underneath that rubber button that has come loose and is rattling around in there also, preventing proper operation of the light.

I live in Australia and it's common to get 45degree celcius days during summer (probably 60deg in a car). Is this thing not built to survive such temperatures?? Or did I just get unlucky? Just going to contact the store I bought it from and/or nitecore to ask for warranty, but thought I should bring it up here as a warning/query.

Sad :/

Last edited: