New Nitecore strobing/flickering

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Nitecore HC90, and found that there's some heavy strobing/flickering unless the sliding switch is perfectly happy. I have two other Nitecores with a similar interface (SRT6 and SRT3), and neither one does anything remotely like this. Sometimes it's fine, other times I slide it over and the strobing starts. Sometimes it keeps going by itself, other times only while my finger is touching the switch. All three color LEDs as well as the primary white LED just go nuts.

Does this particular model have issues, have I gotten a faulty unit, or does it just need some time to break in? After being unable to install the pocket clip on the SRT3 due to one of the screw holes being too large, I'm inclined to believe that Nitecore just doesn't have good QC.

6MB GIF: http://tigerhawkt3.com/videos/HC90 flicker.gif
2MB AVI: http://tigerhawkt3.com/videos/HC90 flicker.avi

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testing the other end of the sliding switch, it seems that, if I don't switch it to Turbo in just the exactly the right way, it doesn't produce a steady Turbo and instead bounces back and forth between Turbo and High at around 1-2Hz.

Ordinarily I would think it's a dirty switch... but it's a sealed magnetic switch unit. There aren't any contacts to clean. :shrug:

y260

Enlightened
Maybe try using a different battery. I've had SRT7 issues with discharged/ low-quality batteries.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using a brand-new, freshly-charged Olight 3400mAh that I ordered with the HC90. I just tried an Ultrafire BRC 3000mAh that I use with my SRT6 with no issues (also freshly charged), and the HC90 behaved just as poorly as it did with the Olight cell.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess it's going back to Battery Junction. Was this one just a lemon, or is it not even worth having them send me another unit?

roberta

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess it's going back to Battery Junction. Was this one just a lemon, or is it not even worth having them send me another unit?

I have a Nitecore HC90, and have not had any problem(s) to date.
And I love it. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Roberta

homer_s

Newly Enlightened
I've had my nitecore hc90 about a month now and im just starting to have problems with the slider. Just been on a camping trip and its been a right pain, if i have it bright enough to see where im walking it flashes off and on about every second. The rgb's go red, red, blue some times missing out green, if its it set to green rgb and its still showing red if i turn it up side down it turns green. Sometimes if im on blue rgb and go strail to off through green and red i get a flash of turbo blinding everyone like a camera flash.

LEDPunisher

Newly Enlightened
The replacement arrived today. No flashing or strobing, everything seems good. :)

Betting on the construction of the battery holder if it's not soldered in versus the possible onboard driver. Loose parts equals loose current control. I have this problem in my current MK-R mod for my old Coleman CFL light. This is a symptom of a bad contact.