*new* Olight S10R, S15R and S20R

kj2

Flashaholic
665b5e15c056edbf171c169cab465d05.jpg

Working on a review on these three :)

swannyj

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the S10R & S20R from going gear and both have issues, certainly would not recommend. Love gg but these lights are a waste of money.

riffraff

Enlightened
Received my Olight S10R from batteryjunction.com on December 4th. To date (three days), no issues at all. Charges fine, got 1:02 hr. runtime on "high," mode-switching is working fine. YMMV. :shrug:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want to like this light; I am considering getting an S20R for my dad.

My main concern, and one which I do not think has been addressed in the last seven pages of this thread,
is the method by which the 18650 battery stops receiving current during the charge process.

1) Does the charge stop when the protection circuit kicks in?

If so, charging unprotected 18650 cells becomes a definite "No-no."

2) Is the charging circuit in the dock "smart" enough to monitor the charge voltage?

3) Does the charging circuit in the dock use a CC/CV algorithm?

4) Does the charging circuit in the dock fully terminate current upon charge completion?

In other words, is the current reduced to zero mA?

While this light appeals, I will not gift a flashlight to a family member that puts them at risk for the sake of convenience.

My philosophy when dealing with lithium cobalt cells is "Guilty until proven innocent."

Last edited:

revelations0350

Newly Enlightened
I got my S20R today, from goinggear.com and have had no issues with it at all, so far. Out of the box all of the modes cycled fine and then I left it on the highest mode for over 20 min to just do a quick test with a little extended use. The charging station has been working fine with zero issues. Will update when I get more use in, but first day impressions are very good, with no immediate issues with light, UI, or charging station, as some have noted already. I am looking forward to EDCing this light as I love the size for 18650 size light and the UI/modes are perfect for everything I need in a light. Having the ability to go to moonlight, saved mode, and turbo from the off position is perfection to me. I had the S10 baton in my EDC rotation a couple years ago, but with this charging station and updated button I could not resist getting this, and as of right now I am very pleased and happy I did.

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
I really want to like this light; I am considering getting an S20R for my dad.

My main concern, and one which I do not think has been addressed in the last seven pages of this thread,
is the method by which the 18650 battery stops receiving current during the charge process.

1) Does the charge stop when the protection circuit kicks in?

If so, charging unprotected 18650 cells becomes a definite "No-no."

2) Is the charging circuit in the dock "smart" enough to monitor the charge voltage?

3) Does the charging circuit in the dock use a CC/CV algorithm?

4) Does the charging circuit in the dock fully terminate current upon charge completion?

In other words, is the current reduced to zero mA?

While this light appeals, I will not gift a flashlight to a family member that puts them at risk for the sake of convenience.

My philosophy when dealing with lithium cobalt cells is "Guilty until proven innocent."

The current does go to zero according to the inline monitor I am using. The current also reduces according to the % of full charge. I am using protected batteries so I have no idea how it will work with unprotected, which I do not use. My 20R came with an Olight protected battery.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for addressing my concern.

Three questions:

1) Are you using an inline USB monitor, or, did you interrupt the circuit "later on" down the line?

2) Is the protection on the battery stopping the charge or is the charger itself stopping the charge?

3) What is the voltage of the cell "hot off the charger," as soon as the charge completes, as measured outside the host?

Last edited:

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for addressing my concern.

Three questions:

1) Are you using an inline USB monitor, or, did you interrupt the circuit "later on" down the line?

2) Is the protection on the battery stopping the charge or is the charger itself stopping the charge?

3) What is the voltage of the cell "hot off the charger," as soon as the charge completes, as measured outside the host?

1. In line USB monitor.

2. Don't have a clue. Not sure how you could easily do this.

3. 4.20 volts confirmed by a Nitecore D4, a Xtar VP2 and voltmeter.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your help.

The only remaining question is whether the charge is stopping because the cell's protection IC is kicking in or because the charger "knew" to stop.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your help.

The only remaining question is whether the charge is stopping because the cell's protection IC is kicking in or because the charger "knew" to stop.
I wonder if you reached out to Olight, they would divulge this information. Might be worth a try.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed.

Email sent to Olight several days ago through their web contact form and as of today, no reply.

I will post when (if?) I hear from them.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you—that helps!

EDIT: Email sent. I'll report back here once I hear from them.

Last edited:

Olightworld

Enlightened
Thank you—that helps!

EDIT: Email sent. I'll report back here once I hear from them.
Hi All,

Sorry for the email issues and delayed response. We checked our email and haven't seen one come through that matches your email address. Due to the high volume of emails and SPAM we receive, we have noticed that some emails are ending up in our junk folders. Customer Service is looking into it now but so far have not found any emails matching yours.

Please email any questions to [email protected]. You can also message us on facebook or through our manufacturer account in the marketplace.

As far as the S rechargeable Series, the lights are programmed to stop charging once the batteries have reached a full charge, so unlike other rechargeables you don't have to worry about removing it from the charge dock after a specified time.

Team Olight

Latest posts