*new* Olight S10R, S15R and S20R

thelinuxcat

Newly Enlightened
It has been 12 days since I heard from Olight. No shipping info and no reply to my latest email 5 days ago. Anyone else able to get this issue resolved?

PsychodelEKS

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have a strange problem with my S20R.

I've bought it in november 2014, and did not actually charge it since till now (but was using it in moonlight almost every night, quite impressive lifetime actually and worked perfectly), so I saw the red led on the switch and decided to charge the acc, put it on the stand and saw charging led flashing instead of continuous glow (flashing after a few second of continuous), I've read the manual, it made it clear, that smth is wrong, so I started googling and found this thread, where everything is explained, so I also wrote a letter to the manufacturer (but also no answer as to the previous poster) for replacement of my faulty charger.

But actually that was just the beginning of the fun, I took the acc (Olight original) out, charged it in my standalone 18650 charger and put it back into the flashlight, *BA DUM TSS* it now lights up (at max output I think) as soon as I put on and tighten the back cover. No reaction to the switch button, acc position ok, voltage ok, another acc tested (samsung 18650 3000mah), turns off when putting on the default charger (the circuit opens).

So, what can be the problem? Can this be fixed? Anyone faced this?

Also did anyone disassemble S20/15/10R to have a look at the guts? May be it some wire/debris short or smth I can fix myself (because Olight seems to be gone, as they do not answer mail and homepage does not work at all, also dunno if warranty applies).

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were closed for a new year celebration and also relocated. Try emailing them at:
[email protected].

I own a number of lights and have very rarely needed warranty work, but they have come through every time(just a little on the slow side). Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Jas29

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully with OLight switching to GoingGear for their warranty returns the process will be quickened. I've been waiting since feb 5th for my repaired or replaced flashlight... OLight should switch to replacing these flashlights without us having to send in the defected charger or flashlight.

I won't be buying another OLight product

PsychodelEKS

Newly Enlightened
Anyone had any responses? Have not got any replies yet myself =(
Olightworld is still down for me, but they do post to their FB page, so if they are dead, than not completely.

PsychodelEKS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I wrote to both at the same time (cs and techsupport). Hopefully they will answer soon and will help, I really miss my s20r.

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
I bought an S10R and an S20R at the same time from Battery Junction. I've had them for a few days now, and I've been running into problems charging the S20R on either dock. So far when I try charging it, it stays solid red on the charger indefinitely, and it doesn't ever go to green. I can tell that it is charging, and it seems to cut off at 4.15 volts.

I don't know if it's trickle charging beyond that or what, but as long as the S20R sits on either dock, I never get the green light. For comparison, my S10R charges to 4.20 volts every time on either dock. Has anybody else had this issue?

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a problem that Olight has identified and the "fix" is a replacement tail cap. They hope to be ready to ship the new tailcaps by the first week of April. Try contacting Olight directly( [email protected]). if you have to go through Battery Junction they may insist you ship the light back & then send it to China(after years of great experience with BJ, I had a really negative experience that took months to fix a switch).

PsychodelEKS

Newly Enlightened
Luckily their site is back online, I've contacted them from support form and they answered me back, so now I'm waiting how the situation resolves.

thelinuxcat

Newly Enlightened
After getting an email a month ago stating they were waiting on containers, I have not heard anything else from Olight. Very disappointed.

PsychodelEKS

Newly Enlightened
Tailcaps? I was told it was the charging bases. I hope they figure it out...
I received the new tailcap for my S20R - it did not help to solve my issue (always on after cap tightening), but I did not believe into that from the beginning (it's a simple breaker anyway). There may be an issue with the cap, if the flashlight does not work or charge at all (if moving parts misplaced/missing), but charging issue is not connected to the caps.
I was offered to send the flashlight for maintenance lately, so will give it a try when find out all the details. Will ask for a new dock also.

thelinuxcat

Newly Enlightened
Nothing new from Olight. Very disappointing that after contacting them multiple times I am no closer to resolution of this issue.

I received the new tailcap for my S20R - it did not help to solve my issue (always on after cap tightening), but I did not believe into that from the beginning (it's a simple breaker anyway). There may be an issue with the cap, if the flashlight does not work or charge at all (if moving parts misplaced/missing), but charging issue is not connected to the caps.
I was offered to send the flashlight for maintenance lately, so will give it a try when find out all the details. Will ask for a new dock also.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to chime in. I own both the S10R and S30R.
My S30R did have a faulty tailcap preventing proper charging and the use of turbo/high modes sometimes, which Olight replaced for me without hassle - but that is not why I am posting here.

I think the reason so many people might be having trouble here is the USB power supply they are using. The charging docks are more sensitive to the USB power supply voltage than most USB devices. I found that with one of my USB power supplies the charging docks (both the 500mA and 750mA variants) will behave erratically - such as flashing red while charging, or not charging at all. I used a USB power meter and found that power supply was only outputting 4.7V under load at the supply side (probably nearer 4.5V at the dock side).

The output voltage is more important than the current here. Even if the power supply can deliver 2A, it will not work properly if the voltage under load drops below about 4.8V at the dock end of the cable under my tests.

Use a high quality USB power supply and a high quality micro USB cable (use the cable that is supplied, or a better one - not a cheap 2 meter thin one) and the problems should go away. Give the dock contacts a wipe with a dry cloth too.

To give something to compare with that many people here will have, I confirmed that the apple iPad power supply (the larger ones that do 10W or 12W) works fine with both docks and both lights.

Also, plugging a device that consumes a high current into the chain port while the light is charging can pull the voltage down enough to interrupt the charger or confuse it. I feel Olight intend the chain port to be used while not charging the light. That seems silly until you think about the use case of leaving the charger permanently plugged in, and not needing to unplug it to charge your phone as you can plug your phone into the charge dock instead.

Last edited:

thelinuxcat

Newly Enlightened
Update: I received one replacement charging base and it resolved the issue I was having. I have asked for the remaining 4 charging bases to be sent out and will update when I receive those. Glad I am finally getting resolution. I will post pictures of the bases when I get some time. The new one is different than the one that came with the lights.

Nothing new from Olight. Very disappointing that after contacting them multiple times I am no closer to resolution of this issue.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight promised to send me new caps to resolve charging issues. First in May, then the first week in June, it is now June 10 and I have heard nothing...I am so disappointed in Olight-I have a very large collection of their lights, and their customer service has always been excellent...until now[emoji23]

thelinuxcat

Newly Enlightened
Olight promised to send me new caps to resolve charging issues. First in May, then the first week in June, it is now June 10 and I have heard nothing...I am so disappointed in Olight-I have a very large collection of their lights, and their customer service has always been excellent...until now[emoji23]

I have been waiting since February.