New owner of a Mag85

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That MC stick is made up of 5 cells isn't it?

I can do 4 in my C Crane... always the odd man out!

I'd be willing to try it if y'all don't mind...

Only almost all my lights except for the 'good' ones are out of reach in storage for the forseeable future.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Joe,

PM me your address, I have a package or two going out tommorrow if you get it to me. You'll have to tear the pack down to charge it in an individual cell charger.

The stock pack is NiCad and if I remember right the C Crane chargers can do those.

Bill

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Mag 3D and had been debating on what to do with it. After reading about the Mag85 I know what I must now do. All of this info on the Mag85 is amazing, but I find it a bit overwhelming and I have several questions that I hope some of you folks can help me with.

I understand to be able to use the bi-pin bulbs I need a bi-pin slug from an MC switch assembly. Is the bi-pin bulb the best option since the bulbs are cheaper and there are no hassles in getting them potted? Are there any advantages in using the potted bulbs other than not having to buy the MC switch assembly? Exactly what is a potted bulb?

I went ahead and reserved three 01185 bulbs from the S4MadMan GB.

I plan to buy the aluminum reflectors from Fivemega as soon as they become available.

I plan to order in the next day or so:
- Borofloat lens
- MC switch assembly

Looks like the batteries are the biggest obstacles since the 3 AA to D adapters are currently not available at EL. I went ahead and ordered fivemega's 8AA to 2D adapter. Is there a good way to get this to work in a 3D mag like with a dummy D battery or something? I think I read somewhere that a regular D battery in addition to this adapter works. I don't currently own any NiMH D batteries, but I will get some if this is the best way. I do have the Vanson charger that will charge D NiMH batteries.

It sure would be nice if fivemaga or someone would develop a 9AA to 3D adapter similar to his 8AA to 2D adapter but with 3 AA's stacked 3 high. I don't know if that would be possible, but it seems like that would be easier to use and more durable than the EL adapters.

I think I read somewhere that batterystation can make custom sticks made from AA's that would work. If this is an option how could these sticks be charged? Could it somehow be charged with one of my RC quickcharger systems with some type of adapter that could plug into the RC type plug on the charger?

Are there any other battery options for this mod project?

Any advice to help me with this project would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest plus side is it will be like getting a new super bright light that I can honestly tell my wife that it is not another new flashlight when she starts rolling her eyes. I've been getting way to many of these looks from her since discovering CPF. She just doesn't understand.

mokona2

Enlightened
Brooks, I'm in the same situation as you: How to assemble the batteries. I tried e-mailing Batterystation, but got no response so far. I'm guessing the battery pack should look like the Magcharger's in that there should be a contact plate on both ends. A flexible charger (similar to what you'd find for r/c or airsoft) should work.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Seems to me that a made up pack of batteries that needs a connection on both ends is going to need a made up cradle wired up to charge the pack...

If it uses some sort of connector, where would you hook up in the light? Not a lot of extra room with 9AA batteries...

bwaites, did that stock MC Battery stick make it out?