New Ozark Trail lights

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Saw a few. Also saw some new Bushnell lights.

But added to the MagLite collection.

For the money, Ozark Trail lights are ok.
Right up there with Colemans, Rayovacs, Defiants and Energizer lights.

In terms of "wow" factor nothing to write home about. But in terms of realiability for round the house, use in a camper or stored in a glove box they're fine n dandy.

Poppy schooled me on the Home Depot no hassle return thing. And since the return line at HD is like 10% or less of a drag as the Wal Mart return line I tend to buy my inexpensive lights at the big orange box in case my dandy new inexpensive light fails.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Saw a few. Also saw some new Bushnell lights.

But added to the MagLite collection.

For the money, Ozark Trail lights are ok.
Right up there with Colemans, Rayovacs, Defiants and Energizer lights.

In terms of "wow" factor nothing to write home about. But in terms of realiability for round the house, use in a camper or stored in a glove box they're fine n dandy.

Poppy schooled me on the Home Depot no hassle return thing. And since the return line at HD is like 10% or less of a drag as the Wal Mart return line I tend to buy my inexpensive lights at the big orange box in case my dandy new inexpensive light fails.

I pretty much agree with our friend bykfixer, except, that I think the Rayovac Indestructible series of lights are better made.
I can't comment on the other Rayovacs though. Well, yeah... their 2AA $1.50 light is cheap, but it works.

I have last year's 500L 6AA Ozark Trail flashlight it sports a Cree XML emitter (XM-L2 emitters were available, but they didn't use them). The head is much larger than necessary for the size of the reflector, maybe that is part of the heat sink. It does have a high and low, no blinkies, and when I first turned it on I was surprised. LOL... If I didn't have better lights, and was a typical home-owner, i'd have been stunned!

I also have the Ozark Trail 300 lumen lantern it is a 3D unit that also has a cree XB-D emitter.
I reviewed it here.

Neither are enthusiast level lights, but for the average home user, where the light sits in the drawer and hardly ever comes out. They are fine. Probably as good, or better than anything they currently own.

My impression is that they were designed by people with the thought of making it, as easy to manufacture and assemble as possible, so that they can be sold at a low price and still have a decent margin of profit. For example, some pieces are not screwed together, but rather, plastic posts might be inserted through holes in a metal plate, and then melted in place. It might be tight, or it might be loose, but it was a lot faster to put together than to screw it in three places, and or have to wait for glue to dry.

Therefore to remove that section, you might have to break it out and then figure out a way to put it back together again. BUT... as long as you don't have a desire to take it apart, you'll never know the difference.

Last edited:

mpett1

Newly Enlightened
I believe they are made by coleman but that is just a guess cause I have a coleman ultra and my kids have he Ozark 200 lm AAA and both tail caps work in each other..

Poppy

Flashaholic
I was in walmart yesterday, so I slipped on over to the flashlight section.

They had two Ozark Trail lights that I hadn't seen before, so I guess they are the ones that you are speaking of. I should have taken a picture.

Both are slide zoomies with Cree emitters.
One is a 3 C cell 700 lumens,
and the other a multi- AA cell, 4 or 6 cells (I don't recall which) about 300 lumens.

They were inexpensive, only $15 and $20.

The zoom lens was not the typical bulbous lens, I'd be interested in seeing a beam shot.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I have their 6 AA cell 500L light and the first or second time I took the head off, the O ring broke. I wouldn't have high hopes that the zoomies above would be water-proof for long.

Last edited:

Capitalistpig

Newly Enlightened
Just bought the 700L C cell----holy smokes this thing is bright

The head slides back and forth from room filling light to a focused beam-------first click is high--second is low---third is a high output strobe---my cat hates it. All aluminum body and Cree emitter.

If it holds up--probably one of the better $20 purchases I've made.

Poppy

Flashaholic
One of the things that I like about 3C cell lights is that if you want to run alkalines, the c cells have more capacity than AA cells.
But, they CAN be run on AA cells, (or for that matter eneloops) Just make a paper, or cardboard tube that the AA cells can fit into, so that they don't rattle and you can run it on 3 AA cells. Less run-time, yes, but if you run NiMH batteries, then you can just top them off.

Also, they'll run on an 18650 if you wrap it in plastic or cardboard, and make a 3 1/2 inch (85mm) spacer. I used a bolt with a cap nut inserted into a 1 inch diameter dowel that I drilled out.

VenomousSVT

Newly Enlightened
I was in walmart the other day and noticed they have a new line of Ozark Trail lights out. Anyone see these?

I bought their 615 lumen rechargeable light 2 years ago and it's been such a good light. I haven't had one issue. It works every time I hit the button, runs on high until it dies without overheating.. You should definitely not sell them short.