New P3D and want to use w/ RCR123a's. Any issues

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
They don't fit. They are just too fat. 17670's do fit though (tape wrapped), with or without magnets.
Just tried the 3.0V's again. They now just fit. Only difference is that I kept them in the fridge. They're still tight though, so I'm wondering what will happen when they warm up. I'll get back on that.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am able to use a single 17670

I can run my P3D with one 17670 cell (an Ultrafire unprotected). All modes work and in regulation. I got over 3 hours runtime on high mode before stopping the test. During the test, I would occasionally check to see that Turbo mode still worked. It was after running about 2.5 hours on high that Turbo mode would not work without the flicker. High mode still was in regualtion when I stopped at 3 hours. I was very supreised at this and happy.

The cell was a tight fit so I removed the thick wrapper and put some packaging tape (wide and thin) on the cell and it slides right in.

Last edited:

barkingmad

Enlightened
They don't fit. They are just too fat. 17670's do fit though (tape wrapped), with or without magnets.

(R)CR123's are (I believe) supposed to be about 16mm in diameter - i.e. 16340 - so the cells you have are probably fatter than they should be?

Just measured an AW IC123A and it was 16.6mm and Ultrafire was 16.5mm and a Duracell primary CR123A was 16.4mm but a 17670 should be thicker than any of those?

Last edited:

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
(R)CR123's are (I believe) supposed to be about 16mm in diameter - i.e. 16340 - so the cells you have are probably fatter than they should be?

Just measured an AW IC123A and it was 16.6mm and Ultrafire was 16.5mm and a Duracell primary CR123A was 16.4mm but a 17670 should be thicker than any of those?
Sorry guys, I am having a few senior moments here. It's the 14670's that fit tape wrapped. For my penance I will do runtimes.
Update on the 3.0V RCR123's - they come out all right if you take the head and tail off and give them a shove. Not sure I like that snugness though.

JKL

Enlightened
that is what I was planning on using.. Just wanted to make sure all modes work and there is no problems using for longer run times..

In my experience,all modes work correctly with two protected 3.7v RCR123's.
No problem.:twothumbs

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I can confirm that. I just got off the phone with David and he said it is best to use the 3.7v RCR123a's.

Ok I am a little confused with what will work.. Like I said this is going to be used as a helmet light for riding at night.. I will need to be able to pop batteries in and out on the road when going for longer 3-4 hour rides.. What is the best source for 3.7v batteries.. Is the Ultrafire charger a good one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220115940124

More input appreciated..

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Socialrunner,

I have read many threads on the P3D and the RCR123 3.6 volt cells work in all modes without problem. You need to have the PROTECTED version for safety if you are running two cells in series. It sounds like there are no problems with fitting - but I would buy a brand someone else has used to be sure. I plan on buying some to try.

I wanted to use one 17670 battery for convenience and the available power they have. Also, I feel better not having cells in series in the light. But the only 17670 cells that seem to fit after replacing the wrapper are the unprotected ones. Since it is unprotected, care must be taken not to overdischarge the cell and damage it. I have had very good results using one (for the short time I have had my P3D). Although it appears the two protected RCR123's provide similar results. So, I'm not sure what is a better soution, using protected cells in series or a single unprotected cell. I do know that if a cell is overdischarged you must be vary cautious when charging it back up. Its nice to have options though.

The Ultrafire charger is pretty good from what I have read. It has independant channels which allows one to charge single batteries and also allows each battery in a pair to be fully charged. I have not read any complaints about it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Learjet

Enlightened
... I will need to be able to pop batteries in and out on the road when going for longer 3-4 hour rides..

If you drop the level back a bit to high or medium rather than turbo you may be able to go for that long without a battery change. I think turbo only gives around an hour or less on RCR123's.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you drop the level back a bit to high or medium rather than turbo you may be able to go for that long without a battery change. I think turbo only gives around an hour or less on RCR123's.

Actually the Turbo(160 lumens) on the P3D gives you 1.8hrs. High(90 lumens) in general mode gives you 4.8hrs, and medium(40 lumens) gives you 13 hours.

hookoo

Newly Enlightened
I have used the protected cells in my Q3 while mountain biking. And the thing you need to be concerned with when it is very dark. Is the light just shuts off with no warning because of the protected cells. I guess if you are riding on the street or don't expect to be riding long, it's okay. Or use two as a backup light.

Learjet

Enlightened
Actually the Turbo(160 lumens) on the P3D gives you 1.8hrs. High(90 lumens) in general mode gives you 4.8hrs, and medium(40 lumens) gives you 13 hours.

That's on primaries, not rechargeable RCR123's which only have about half the capacity therefore half the runtime.

Fenix-Finatik

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a bunch of the 3.7v RCR-123's from DX and they work great with my P3D-CE.....cheap lumens to boot....:twothumbs