New Philips HIR2 scrutinized

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Philips bulb is better -- the Toshiba quality started getting problematic when they stopped being labelled "MADE IN JAPAN" and started being labelled "MADE IN PRC" (= People's Republic of China). It's not that they all went to crap, it's that quality control got a good deal less consistent. If you got good ones, great. If you didn't...well...not so great.

The Philips bulbs are made in Germany.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but are the HIR1 bulbs (from Candlepower) also made in PRC? I looked but could only find DOT markings. I did a search and I couldn't find the answer. Thanks.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scheinwerfermann, I don't think you are an @ss, I said you are being an @ss.
Huge difference. I know that you are highly competent in your area of expertise, but you just jump down people's throats at the drop of a hat.

I think that sometimes you can not see the forest from the trees...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The fella behind this site might also have any new info if someone ask

You can't assume that a website is "great" just because you think the technical information looks science-y. Nor can you assume that something you see here is "mis-info" because you read something contrary on another site. Dan Stern told me a very interesting story about "the fella behind that site" you like, one Mr. Fox. Seems Mr. Fox, in the process of setting up his website, sent Mr. Stern half a dozen e-mails asking questions about the HIR bulbs...then pasted together all of Stern's answers, minus the important but inconvenient parts that might tend to alert would-be buyers that HIR bulbs are not necessarily an appropriate retrofit for any/every lamp originally using 9005/9006, and used the resultant hacked text as the technical "info" on his site. Kinda slimy if it's true. I think it probably is, because:

1. Stern's answers to my questions about HIR bulbs look a lot like the "info" on that site you like, except Stern is careful to go into detail about which kinds of lamps should not be retrofitted with HIR bulbs

2. Stern has a solid track record of telling the truth and doesn't sell the HIR bulbs himself so has no reason to make up such a story.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
you just jump down people's throats at the drop of a hat

Actually, I answer a question in accordance with what's asked and how. It has nothing to do with how knowledgeable or uninformed the asker might be. A deliberately lazy, half-baked question gets a not-very-helpful answer which may contain a good dollop of sarcasm. A thoughtful question gets a helpful, thoughtful reply. What goes around, comes around. Someone who can't manage to hit the shift key for a fraction of a second at the start of a sentence should not be on the internet, he should be in bed conserving his feeble strength for really important tasks like breathing and eating.

I think that sometimes you can not see the forest from the trees...

I'm not sure how you imagine that metaphor applies to this situation. I am sure, though, that replying to "mr.lumen" with a history of HIR bulbs would not only have been encouraging his laziness and failure to think, but it would also have been unresponsive to his question. I suppose I could've answered (again) his question of why HIR H4 bulbs aren't made, but since he didn't put much of any effort into his question, I didn't feel like putting much of any effort into my answer. Is that being an @ss? Maybe so. If you don't like my answer to his question, and you're less allergic to laziness than I am, please chip in with a responsive answer of your own.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but are the HIR1 bulbs (from Candlepower) also made in PRC? I looked but could only find DOT markings. I did a search and I couldn't find the answer.

Toshiba moved production of all their HIR1 and HIR2 bulbs to China ("PRC", a clever labelling ploy to avoid the reflexive "NO WAY!" many picky buyers have when they see the C-word) in 2008 or '09, then stopped making them altogether in late '09 or early '10. The earlier Japanese-made Toshiba HIR1 and HIR2 bulbs had "Japan" on them. So yes, if you buy Toshiba HIR1 or HIR2 bulbs from Candlepower or any other source, and they are not marked "Japan", they are from China.

terpsmandan

Newly Enlightened
I just got a set of 9011 Toshiba HIR and trimmed them to fit into my Sienna. I also pulled the shorting pin that turns on the DRL's. Will the voltage drop of the DRL circuit harm the bulbs? I pulled the Silverstars out that I put in last January (yes, I got sucked into the hype as well) and the base of the bulb was discolored slightly. A light tannish color. I would like to run DRL's, but not if it is going to reduce the lifespan of the bulbs. Thanks for all the info. I have a friend who is thinking of putting HID in his Matrix and I am trying to educate him.

2000mc

Newly Enlightened
i'd imagine it would have to reduce the life, atleast slightly. i've had mine in (also being used as DRLs) for a couple years/ 50k mi. no problem so far.

i think the life of the toshiba hirs are supposed to be similar to a std bulb. from working at a gm shop, of vehicles with oe bulbs that use high beams for DRLs, the low beams bulbs will generally be replaced long before the high beams.

long story longer... i wouldnt worry about it

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a set of 9011 Toshiba HIR and trimmed them to fit into my Sienna. I also pulled the shorting pin that turns on the DRL's. Will the voltage drop of the DRL circuit harm the bulbs?

If you installed 9011 (or HIR1), then that means they're in the high beam socket. High beam DRLs run at a greatly reduced voltage compared to low beam DRLs, so that means the halogen cycle may not be working effectively (since the envelope won't get hot enough), and you could be looking at burning them out sooner than expected-- and they'll be steadily blackening while they are burning.

You should disable the DRLs, or, if in a jurisdiction that requires them, switch to turn signal DRLs.

2000mc

Newly Enlightened
isnt the halogen cycle completed, or affect reversed, when someone uses their high beams?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
isnt the halogen cycle completed, or affect reversed, when someone uses their high beams?

They'd have to be on for quite a long time to reverse it-- several hours. Unless you're driving across Wyoming on some blue highway, your high beams probably aren't on that long.

Last edited:

mikered30

Newly Enlightened
I have not been on here for a while. Are these Philips HIR bulbs still the real deal? Still better than the Philips 9006 X-treme Power?

eydaimon

Newly Enlightened
Just replaced a Philips 9006 with a HIR2 9012. I must say I found the difference to be very disappointing. With supposed output of 1875 lumens it was nowhere near twice as bright as the 9006 bulb. The difference was pretty negligible.

update: I'm not convinced now that i've got a proper HIR2. I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480N18G/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the packaging of their HIR2?

the UPC does match this one: http://www.blazenauto.com/store/2-1...2_9012_Standard_Headlight_Bulb_Pack_of_1.html

So I notice this packaging: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PHIL...Accessories&hash=item2567a842f6#ht_4789wt_941

says 9012LL C1, whereas the previous link, and my bulb says 9012LL B1. Is this the difference?

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just replaced a Philips 9006 with a HIR2 9012. I must say I found the difference to be very disappointing. With supposed output of 1875 lumens it was nowhere near twice as bright as the 9006 bulb. The difference was pretty negligible.

Somewhere I read that a light should be about 4x as bright to *look* twice as bright, but that could be wrong. The difference should certainly be noticeable. Additionally, you'll get better beam focus out of the HIR2 than with most 9006s, and you'll definitely get more throw with them as well.

Scheinwerfermann can probably give you the skinny on all the part numbers.

eydaimon

Newly Enlightened
While noticeable, it just wasn't as much as I expected.

I just took a picture. See if you can determine which one it is.

i3WgIf1xOfkva.JPG

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
"Supposed" output of 1875 lumens? No, that's its actual output. And subjective guesses at the output ratio vs. the original 9006 are never going to be anywhere near accurate. Get out there with a properly-calibrated, properly-used example of the proper kind of light meter and take some careful readings and then you won't be disappointed. And yes, it's a real bulb; the B1/C1 has nothing to do with anything but the production date.

Qship1996

Enlightened
While noticeable, it just wasn't as much as I expected.

I just took a picture. See if you can determine which one it is.

i3WgIf1xOfkva.JPG

Looks like you need to make an appointment with a professional to have your headlamps aimed with an optical aiming machine.....may be the best "upgrade" possible for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.