New Raw Al LTD 100

AvidHiker

Enlightened
Avidhiker,

I just whittled the end of a match to a fine point and used that to drop small amounts of NOA61 until the trit was completely and uniformly covered. I did have to start over a few times though, and using a syringe sounds easier.

I found that hanging my Arc AAA UV a couple of inches over the trit and letting it run the battery dry was enough to cure the NOA61 to a very hard glass-like state. Letting it bake in the sun for a day will probably do the trick as well. Of course, following Norland's advise is probably the best thing to do :thumbsup:

A warning to the anal retentive ones out there (like me :nana: ): Don't touch the NOA61 too early in the curing process. When it's in the early stages of curing, your fingers and nails can make marks and dents that will stay there and annoy you later :sick2:

I highly recommend Norland 61 to all owners of Raw's with trits. It takes a little bit of work to apply the stuff, but it's totally worth it IMO. The Wee doesn't really need it as much as the Raw, as the trits are already properly recessed and well protected. From now on I'm going to ask Rob not to attach the trits on my Raw's; I want to do it myself. I think the result is just so much better using Norland 61 :)

Wow, fine wooden applicator tip - great idea! After experimenting with needle application, I think anything that will let you apply very small drops should do the trick.

Don't think I mentioned that I work in a lab, so have access to a lot of things which make the job easier. Too bad Norland 61 is so pricey, and comes with a 4 month expiration date. I'm keeping mine in the lab fridge (its a bit cooler than Norland's recommended minimum storage temp of 5°C, but still seems ok).

If anyone else is looking to try this stuff out, I might be persuaded to send you some - feel free to PM me.

snailmeat

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

New to these forums. Deciding if I should get NS or AL Raw, does anyone know which material can hold up against wear better? Seriously doubt weight is an issue as they are 10-12 grams different? Thanks!

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

New to these forums. Deciding if I should get NS or AL Raw, does anyone know which material can hold up against wear better? Seriously doubt weight is an issue as they are 10-12 grams different? Thanks!

:welcome:

I have both versions and truthfully they both wear well, the Al probably is more prone to scuffing and nicking, but both are easily polished out to look like new. the NS have a more gold tone to it and I can tell the weight difference in the pocket in dress slacks but no so much in jeans. Either one you choose you won't be going wrong.

andy955i

Newly Enlightened
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update on delivery.

Looking forward to getting the LTD100 :twothumbs

Thanks

Andy

snailmeat

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I have both versions and truthfully they both wear well, the Al probably is more prone to scuffing and nicking, but both are easily polished out to look like new. the NS have a more gold tone to it and I can tell the weight difference in the pocket in dress slacks but no so much in jeans. Either one you choose you won't be going wrong.

Thanks. I just ordered an AL one, figured if I want NS, I can get that for the Wee. I can't really tell from the pics, but the finish of the AL is polished? I'm thinking of getting it finely brushed like in a watch...

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finish is a fine machined look. You could do a brush look with ease. :thumbsup:

andy955i

Newly Enlightened
Rob,

When I ordered a Raw AL on 3rd June it was 7-10 days delivery.

On the 7th of July it was in production this week aim to fill all back orders by the end of July.

Then it was in production and will be shipped during week commencing 21st July.

Its Friday 25th of July and no email confirming shipping...

What is happening?

There comes a point where the excuses start to wear thin and it has arrived.

You have had the money for nearly two months now, just send the goods and stop making excuses.

If you don't have the goods don't advertise them as in stock and don't make promises you can't keep.

I haven't bothered to email your private address because you do not bother to answer.

Andy

:shakehead

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: All
I have been assembling a Raw Al Build this week which is going well.
Really pleased with the quality of the metal work & have been using the Norland 61 UV curing Adhesive for the locators. I set up a mini UV Booth which is an interesting addition to the workshop.
Plan for tomorrow Friday 1st is to package up & dispatch all the back orders.
Good news is all these have the R2 LED which will hopefully make up for the extended wait.
:thanks:
UVBooth.jpg

RawAlBuild2.jpg

RawAlBuild.jpg

aconite

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs Yay! Not long to go now. :grin2: R2 leds and Norland 61 adhesives shows dedication to continual product improvement. Good job! Kaizen!

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rob,

They look fantastic. All I can say is :takeit: and :paypal:.
I also wanted to add a Big Thank You for the quick responses to my E-mails even though I wasn't yet one your customer:bow:.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Nice!

How are you liking the Norland 61 so far? I think the added protection of the locators is a very real improvement.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!

How are you liking the Norland 61 so far? I think the added protection of the locators is a very real improvement.

:thanks: I like the Norland 61 it has a better hold on the Metal - Glass bond. Also nice that it gives you the time required to get the vials centered nicely. I have not covered the vials, Its my preference to keep the slot as close in size to the vial, looks much neater. When I did a trial pool over the vial it did cover but looked messy & I would expect with time end up grubby. The vials on this batch are nicely below the surface.

All Raw Al back orders have been dispatched today. I have sent email notifications to all. It was along time for some in getting these. Another BIG :thanks: for your patience. :twothumbs

There are 15 remaining in stock available through my web site.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arrrgh Rob you are evil :(

I'm going to have to take one of those Al's before they vanish. :)
Edit: Hmm also gives me the chance to grab a 200 lumen one to try out! - and another Wee NS (don't ask...)

:paypal: :crackup:

Last edited:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secured mine, got an email confirmation :) Yay for lummi lights.

How to justify it? It's limited edition, not too expensive (cheaper than NS!) and another flashlight.

ShOgUn_LI

Newly Enlightened
was just wondering... what's the difference between the RAW Al i just ordered and the one with the PRCR2 thing? Sorry for being ignorant, but what is it?

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The normal raws(Raw Al Ltd, Raw NS, and Raw Ti) use a 14250 Li-ion. The Orb Raw uses a slightly bigger battery(I believe the Orb Raw is also slightly bigger because of the larger battery), a RCR2 or CR2(15270).

I received mine yesterday, my first Lummi light(definitely not my last). I have to say it's a stunning light that's very bright on high. It's smaller than I thought it would be. Rob did a excellent job on the 3 green trits(all nicely recessed), it looks great.

Steve

Last edited: