New Rebel Maglite Switch

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey did anyone else get serial numbers on theirs, I didn't:shrug:

Hold on to that one! They now have the serial number and Patented in U.S.A laser engraved on the same side left of the switch opposed to being stamped in on opposite sides. Both of mine start with DLXXXXXXXXX, are all the LED Rebel start with DLXXXXXXXXX? Incan was just D.

I'm sad I only picked up 2 X 2D rebel, and 4 mode Mini rebel, I should have grabbed a bunch to share!!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unscrew the tailcap and dump the batteries out. Unscrew the head and look at the top of the flashlight body. You should see a shiny metal can with an LED in the middle surrounded by a black plastic ring. The plastic ring is a retaining ring that holds the pill in place. Use a screwdriver and carefully press straight down on the metal part, avoiding the emitter in the middle. With enough pressure the pill will pop and fall out of the bottom. Be careful not to lose the black plastic ring that will fall out if you flip the flashlight body upside down.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, interesting. Good to know!

And to replace it you just push the batteries into the pill and screw on the tailcap?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flip the body tube upside-down, drop the pill in, LED down, carefully slide two AA batteries into the tube then put the tail cap back on then press the plastic ring on as far as it will go against the spring in the tail cap. Screw the head in all the way and the plastic ring will click into place.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks for the info. Sounds like this could be of help if an alkaline leaked or something like that. Energizer E2 Lithiums are on the way, as well as Duracell Pre-Charged NiMHs, so I won't be using alkaline in my Mags for long. :)

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone dissected the switch tower yet?
The lower height may be useful in a normal Mag body, in a large bulb hotwire mod.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't the OP dissect it? I also took mine out and unscrewed the pointed screw too much, and it wouldn't go back in, so I had to remove the switch and put the screw back in from the outside. :crazy:

elumen8

Enlightened
I'm doing the 2D to 2AA pill swap just for fun...but I'm not having any fun removing the 2D pill from its silver housing. Any easy method for popping it out, or do I just need to push down harder?

Thanks,
JB

edit: I pushed out the 2D pill...I guess I was too paranoid to break it at first. Its actually a pretty robust little pill.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2D is pretty easy...remove the switch and use the 5/64 wrench to remove the screw, and the pill pops right out. No need to push anything...?

elumen8

Enlightened
The 2D is pretty easy...remove the switch and use the 5/64 wrench to remove the screw, and the pill pops right out. No need to push anything...?

There is a little lip on the inner edge of the silver assembly that was slightly catching the thin black pastic liner piece. Mine didn't pop right out, took a little pressure to remove. I didn't want to force anything to break just in case. Its all good.

JB

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh. My 3D's jumped out and rolled onto the floor as soon when I removed the screw because of the spring underneath...

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
switch tower is the same (i have several years old 2D, new 2D incan, new 3D rebel). Difference is the bottom contact plate as shown in picks above. And protrusion at the bottom of the cylindrical switching unit - it just makes the pieces incompatible until you trim the protrusion off.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
switch tower is the same (i have several years old 2D, new 2D incan, new 3D rebel). Difference is the bottom contact plate as shown in picks above. And protrusion at the bottom of the cylindrical switching unit - it just makes the pieces incompatible until you trim the protrusion off.

:thinking: What, my rebel Mag is totally different height and diameter just like the OP's picture. I've even cut it off for my SST-50 mod.

4142957866_d4be9978cb_o.jpg

4142957932_94239e88bf_o.jpg

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks...I actually tried using a 5/64 & it worked perfectly even though it is definitely a torx screw in there. Bought from a brand new lowes during black friday.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
5/64 hex is the old screw and T8 Torx is the new screw. Even though you bought your light today it could be either old or new depending on how well your store's stock moves. The 3D MagLED that I bought at Costco (with the 2AA Rebel MagLED) to mod for bigchelis came with the Torx screw.