New SF U2: Donut beam and broken clickie

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
To me the tailcap clicky on the Surefire U2 seems cheaply made. If i shake my U2 i can hear the clicky rattle. The switch works perfectly but when clicking the tailcap off/on it just doesn't feel smooth.

Of all my flashlights i think the smoothest operating tailcap is on my Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon. I wish the U2 tailcap operated as smoothly.

greenLED

Flashaholic
well... I called SF today, and a very polite gentleman said they'd send me a new tailcap. :twothumbs I told him I was concerned that repeated bending and rebending of the raised tabs... he said they'd send me replacement tailcaps if they (or the tailcap) ever broke. We also talked a little bit about the piece of lint, and he said they'd be happy to fix it for me if I felt uncomfortable with it. :thinking:

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
greenLED said:
We also talked a little bit about the piece of lint, and he said they'd be happy to fix it for me if I felt uncomfortable with it. :thinking:

:crackup: Please tell me you're not serious?

greenLED

Flashaholic
:huh2: serious? Me? Always. :nana: yes and no. :nana:

The non-functioning tailcap right off the box, that was serious grounds for complaining, the lint, that was me being picky because of my overexpectations. I'm back on solid ground now. I already put some GID paint on the clip's logo, so the light is officially a keeper. Period.

Truth is, I had bought into the SF perfection hyper-:toilet: and everyone's SF-raving sprees, and was disappointed with all the "little" things not perfect on my light. Reality hit, I guess. They're good lights, sure, but as with any other tool, they're not perfect. Another good learning experience.

haley1

Enlightened
I was contemplating buying one, now I'm not so sure. I've never been crazy about the clickie tail cap anyway. Does anyone know if a twisty will work, even with minor modification?

Luna

Enlightened
You guys need to stop worrying about the tailswitchs. Apparently there was a bad run of them early off but the replacements work perfectly. At least for me.

Even the one that I originally had but fixed is still working great on another light.

What are the serial number ranges of the lights with bad switchs? Maybe we can establish a pattern.

Mine is #727.

lightmaster

Newly Enlightened
Looks like SF has some serious QC issues, [even the Q3 looks better off] this is plain unacceptable for a $200 light. I still cant figure why they did not just use a twisty, a clickie is just yet another part to fail at the worst possible moment.... oh well

cary

Newly Enlightened
I'm begining to think the U2 I bought two weeks ago must be defective. It seems as bright as my L2, has almost no doughnut, is white with just a hedge of green on low, and the clickie works perfectly (unlike the one I bought for my 6p).

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened
LUNA Re: New SF U2: Donut beam and broken clickie

Luna,

I don't except that this was an early run only of tailcaps.

My light was backordered from Optics HQ for three weeks, I just got it last week. It is new stock, or as new as SF makes.

Blue

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting note by iNDiGLo on the U2 rattle:

My U2 also rattles in the tailcal, especially in the on position. It leaves you with that feeling that something's about to go bad. I hope not. SF needs to get these clickies back under control. Is there currently a twisty for use with the U2?

greenLED

Flashaholic
cary said:
I'm begining to think the U2 I bought two weeks ago must be defective. It seems as bright as my L2, has almost no doughnut, is white with just a hedge of green on low, and the clickie works perfectly (unlike the one I bought for my 6p).

IIRC, Lux change tint when underdriven. At least that's how the LuxIII behaves. :shrug:

Luna

Enlightened
Re: LUNA Re: New SF U2: Donut beam and broken clickie

Bluehinder said:
Luna,

I don't except that this was an early run only of tailcaps.

My light was backordered from Optics HQ for three weeks, I just got it last week. It is new stock, or as new as SF makes.

Blue

What is your lights serial#?

Deanster

Enlightened
New U2 arrived yesterday - bad clicky on arrival, fairly severe donut. S/N A09046

certainly not a low S/N only issue...

ABCA41p22

Newly Enlightened
u2clickie.jpg

My U2 (A06845) lasted 1.5 weeks before the clickie went. Just momentary on mode. So I grabbed a jar opener rubber sheet to crack open the tailcap. Added a little Nygel 759G to the ratchet parts and - decent clickie.
I'm still going to try to get a new tailcap as I can't trust that this one will always work.
Note that this U2 sample has a very white beam with little to no donut. Whiter than an L4 or any other LED light I have. It is a version with the three sided tube without the plastic battery insert.

/s

Safety1st

Enlightened
my clickie is faulty too..

Surefire have said they'll send me another replacement, but haven't yet..

The guy I bought it from, kindly sent me a replacement clickie also...and would you believe it.....it's WORSE than the first one...

The flashlight all in all is superb.....and you'd think the variable beams would be what went wrong first...not the clickie tail cap...

but no...the clickie tail cap is the weak spot...:awman:

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I hate to ask this but....is the U2 worth getting at this point? I'd like to know from people who have it and let me know since I am/was going to get it as a gift for myself. I believe I heard somewhere that they are coming out with a new version of the U2 soon. Should I just wait for it??

cbxer55

Enlightened
I have had mine about 3 weeks now, and so far it is working flawlwssly. I ordered mine direct from Surefire, and would recommend doing that over some other dealer. There were no discounts when I bought mine, and Surefire paid the shipping so it costed exactly $270.00 The clickie works, the beam is tightly focused and WHITE! No donut. It is the most bitchin light I have. No, do not wait for another without talking to Surefire first to see if the rumors are true. Get their 1-800 number off their website.:wow:

Last edited:

Latest posts