NEW STUFF FROM OPTICS HQ - **LOTS OF PICS** EDIT - ADDED BEAM SHOT PICS

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the glass window made of? Toughened Pyrex, UCL, something else? Is there a single-mode version available? What is the user interface for the two-mode head -- press cycle through the modes? Which mode is the default? How quickly do you have to press the tailcap button again to get to the next mode? I assume that after that time period, the light will turn on in the default mode? Can I manually strobe the light rapidly in High mode always, or am I going to get High, Low, High, Low, ,...?

What happens if I combine this head with the TLS multifunction tailcap?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was planning to build or buy a tower module for my M6 in the
New Year, looks like I wont have to now :thumbsup:

mhubble

Enlightened
What is the glass window made of? Toughened Pyrex, UCL, something else? Is there a single-mode version available? What is the user interface for the two-mode head -- press cycle through the modes? Which mode is the default? How quickly do you have to press the tailcap button again to get to the next mode? I assume that after that time period, the light will turn on in the default mode? Can I manually strobe the light rapidly in High mode always, or am I going to get High, Low, High, Low, ,...?

What happens if I combine this head with the TLS multifunction tailcap?

Contact Mike at OPTICS HQ for that info. I do know there is no single mode head. The default is high then low. And the lens is 1/8th in thick glass. Doesnt look like the coated stuff.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these on the site yet & is it possible to get the smooth reflector and the OP together?

mhubble

Enlightened
Are these on the site yet & is it possible to get the smooth reflector and the OP together?

They are not on the site yet but if you contact Mike at OPTICS HQ by phone he can probably take your order and answer the reat of your question.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Wow, it's a real shame about that clip.

Judging by the pics it'll be sprung in no time if you wear Levis.
They compromised both the bezel up and down carry option by making the bends so tight.
I might have to start a business just for friggin' clips!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very interesting. I'd like to know if a Dereelight pill will fit... that way I know I have options (5A tint, 3 mode or single mode, etc).

The drawback on the bodies is that they don't take 18650. But the 1-cell is quite tempting. :)

Thanks for sharing.

squareone

Newly Enlightened
does anybody have first hand experience with the 2-mode led head for the e2 series? im really interested in making this light more useful to me again

mhubble

Enlightened
does anybody have first hand experience with the 2-mode led head for the e2 series? im really interested in making this light more useful to me again

If you are refering to the turbohead.....No.
If you are refering to the TLS TX-2 theres a couple of reviews on here for it. Ive got the single mode TX-2 on my e2 body and love it. Extremely bright and great run times.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact Mike at OPTICS HQ for that info. I do know there is no single mode head. The default is high then low. And the lens is 1/8th in thick glass. Doesnt look like the coated stuff.

I guess I'm a little disappointed that there is no single-mode head yet, especially since this product is advertised to attach to various SF Classic series lights. If I wanted multi-modes, it would seem to me that using the OpticsHQ multifunction tailcap would be the way to go.

Can you test more completely how the user interface functions (although my assumption is that these TH upgrades have the same UI as the 2-stage E-series upgrade heads -- a tailcap press within a second or so of the previous one switches modes, a longer delay resets the mode the the default)?

Initial press -- High mode (which is the default). Count one-thousand-one. Press the tailcap again. What mode do you get?

Reset the light (e.g., unscrew the tailcap and re-screw it). Initial press -- High mode. Count one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two. Press the tailcap. What mode do you get?

Continue in this fashion, incrementing the count, presumably until the light doesn't enter Low mode. That gives you the time delay needed to get back to the default mode when pressing the tailcap, or conversely the time window for which the next tailcap press switches modes.

The other thing I've seen in some multi-mode engines is that the time window varies with the voltage input. Drive the drop-in with a single 3.7V cell and you get one time window (I got about 10 sec for one 6P drop-in product). Deliver power from two cells and you get a shorter time window (for the same product, I got about 2 sec).

If you can drive the OpticsHQ TH with say two 123A primaries (presumably delivering between 5-6V, then two 3.7V Li-ions, and then three 3.7V Li-ions, that would probably cover the likely range of voltages where there would be any variation in the time window.

mhubble

Enlightened
although my assumption is that these TH upgrades have the same UI as the 2-stage E-series upgrade heads

Timing wise they seem to be exactly the same. But I can only test using CR123. I dont have any rechargeable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Woah! :eek:oo:

I've been looking for a good KL9 substitute. (Mainly because Surefire still hasn't released it).

Thanks for making this topic. :)

elumen8

Enlightened
Mhubble, could you tell if there was substantial loss in throw with the OP version versus the smooth reflector? How would you describe the difference between the two?

Thanks for the review.

-JB

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you buys these heads yet? How much and how about a link?
Thanks
Jake
I'm pretty sure you can buy them from OpticsHQ's website, though they are not listed there. The prices are listed in the first post of this thread. Email Mike at Optics HQ for details. I had emailed them a few weeks ago about this since I'm local to them and they said that I can make an appointment to stop by their office to pick one up whenever I'm ready so I'm pretty sure they're available.

O

OpticsHQ

They are available, but we still have not had a chance to put them on our site yet.

roadie

Enlightened
how could i had missed such a thread on such a topic before ... dub ..

excellent and very timely as some of u thought so too ....

need a 'head' for my headless M4 ...... wow!

Last edited: