Newb question - RCR123 in my G2Z

zx5go

Newly Enlightened
Can I use a pair of RCR123 cells in my Surefire G2Z without damaging the lamp?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I use a pair of RCR123 cells in my Surefire G2Z without damaging the lamp?

You will have to switch out the lamp to a 9 volt lamp like the P90. The 6 volt P60 lamp that it comes with will *poof* right away if you try to run it on RCR's.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nope...:poof::mecry:

I have been using this in my SF-M2. No problems thus far. I am under-driving it a bit with cheap RCR123 cells. IMRs would get more out of it, but its plenty bright for my needs. Theres a lower output 10W variant that would probably suit my needs better.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCR123 in my G2Z work great with a Surefire P90 lamp. I use AW's "red label" IMR cells, which will also happily drive a P91, which I use for quick blasts of sunshine when I really need it.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope...:poof::mecry:

I have been using this in my SF-M2. No problems thus far. I am under-driving it a bit with cheap RCR123 cells. IMRs would get more out of it, but its plenty bright for my needs. Theres a lower output 10W variant that would probably suit my needs better.

I have one of the DX 15W and 10W I got in a deal with a CPF member, they are surpisingly bright and the beam is good quality. I don't know how long they'll last, but they seem okay so far. One oddity is that the 10W model is actually a tiny bit brighter than the 15W model. They both draw the same 1.38-1.42A of current, I suspect the 10W is mislabeled.

RCR123 in my G2Z work great with a Surefire P90 lamp.

Yep, the IMR16340's will give you a little bit more runtime than the RCR123A though with a P90 lamp. RCR123A's really seem to take a nosedive in capacity starting around 800mA and the P90 is closer to 1.2A drain if I remember correctly.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have one of the DX 15W and 10W I got in a deal with a CPF member, they are surpisingly bright and the beam is good quality. I don't know how long they'll last, but they seem okay so far. One oddity is that the 10W model is actually a tiny bit brighter than the 15W model. They both draw the same 1.38-1.42A of current, I suspect the 10W is mislabeled.

They are good, serviceable lamps. my 15W modules have been every bit as reliable as my P60 and P61.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are good, serviceable lamps. my 15W modules have been every bit as reliable as my P60 and P61.

What kind of runtime have you put on them? I have several Surefire P90's with hundreds of hours of runtime on mostly li-ions and no noticeable blackening of the bulb.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

What kind of runtime have you put on them? I have several Surefire P90's with a hundred hours of runtime and no noticeable blackening of the bulb.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have lost count... Its certainly not in the 100s of hours though. Since I only use this light for spot-on use, and I never completely deplete my cells I would guess my lamp is in the 15 hour mark.

No blackening yet.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lost count... Its certainly not in the 100s of hours though. Since I only use this light for spot-on use, and I never completely deplete my cells I would guess my lamp is in the 15 hour mark.

No blackening yet.

That's pretty good, especially for spot useage.

My high useage P90's, (two or three) have a mix of both. One, a Laser Products P90 I have retired on a shelf at work for backup as the newer P90 I replaced it with is a bit brighter.

I have a low use Laser Products P91 which is a bit brighter than most P91's I've seen though.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Same here on the 2/RCR123'S and a SF90. I use one in a G2L.

I used it the other night on a security detail and liked it more than my G2L with M60....

I really like using incans...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here on the 2/RCR123'S and a SF90. I use one in a G2L.

I used it the other night on a security detail and liked it more than my G2L with M60....

I really like using incans...

Yes, I prefer the ability to actually see colors and recognize three dimensional objects as opposed to vague 2-D shapes, blue glare and thrown shadows that typical LED emitters provide.

I do have a nice and real warm drop-in LED emitter from DX, but it's not really reliable at making contact in different lights so is kind of a pain in the ***. I only keep it because of the super nice warm tint and I wish I could transplant the emitter into a decent Surefire P60L type reflector/base arrangement with a spring to make contact. Still not an incan, but pretty decent for an LED.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

But I suspect 15W is intentionally mislabeled.

Latest posts