Nicad discharge rate

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
I was going to start carying in my work van a cordless 18 volt drill. I don't use it very often and was wondering how often I should charge it? I would only be using it for about ten minutes at a time when needed. The drill uses Dewalt XRP Nicad batts and they are in pretty good shape. Would I need to charge it once a week, month etc. Thanks for any help.

Russel

Enlightened
My Dewalt 18v cordless gets occasional use, usually very quick jobs. What I do is charge the batteries once a month then discharge them to about 1v per cell with a CBA II. Then charge the batteries for 10 minutes in the 1 hour charger and I'm good for another month.

So far I have never needed to charge the batteries to complete any of my small jobs. If I am planning a project where I will be using the cordless off and on all day, I drop one of the batteries in the charger the night before so it has a full charge. When I'm done with the project I discharge to 1v per cell (15v), charge for 10 minutes in the 1 hour charger, and I'm good for another month.

If you plan to carry your cordless around with you in your work van, you need to figure out how much you may need to use it at a moments notice. I store my batteries in a more less discharged state because they don't get a lot of use. If you are using them every day I wouldn't be concerned with keeping them in a discharged 'storage' state. Nicad batteries seem to perform well if they are used a lot. In my experience, lack of use along with poor storage methods are a common cause of degraded nicad batteries.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
I was going to start carying in my work van a cordless 18 volt drill. I don't use it very often and was wondering how often I should charge it? I would only be using it for about ten minutes at a time when needed. The drill uses Dewalt XRP Nicad batts and they are in pretty good shape...

My Dewalt 18v cordless gets occasional use, usually very quick jobs. What I do is charge the batteries once a month then discharge them to about 1v per cell with a CBA II. Then charge the batteries for 10 minutes in the 1 hour charger and I'm good for another month...

...If I am planning a project where I will be using the cordless off and on all day, I drop one of the batteries in the charger the night before so it has a full charge...

...Nicad batteries seem to perform well if they are used a lot. In my experience, lack of use along with poor storage methods are a common cause of degraded nicad batteries.
Before I became a 'DAILY Reader' of the CPF 'Batteries Included' Forum (~Thanksgiving week 2008; I was an 'occasional' reader for a few years before that...), although I viewed myself as *VERY* 'Technically Capable', I was, in fact, *COMPLETELY* 'Rechargeable NiCD/NiMH Cell' ILLITERATE! :eek:

I was regularly abusing / DESTROYING cells and/or packs! :eek: (even though I UPGRADED myself from the Rayovac PS1 & PS3 to a La Crosse BC-900 SMART Charger/Analyzer in 2006 :huh:)

NOTE: *BUYING* a SMART Charger doesn't make the user SMART! :ironic: :crackup:

What Russel posted above, as we BOTH have learned ;), is one of the BETTER ways to maintain a pack:
  • Storing an INFREQUENTLY used pack FULLY CHARGED is NG.
  • Storing an INFREQUENTLY used pack FULLY DISCHARGED is NG.
  • Storing an INFREQUENTLY used pack PARTIALLY CHARGED is GOOD, *BUT*, IMO, from reading the CPF 'Batteries Included' Archives, you need to CYCLE (FULLY CHARGE and DEEP DISCHARGE) it 'periodically' to 'exercise' all of the chemicals.
    (Man, do I *HATE* packs!)
While I've been *VERY* (or at least MOSTLY :rolleyes: ) diligent over the past year(s) in maintaining my inventory of NiCD/NiMH AA/AAA/C/D cells, I have, for the most part, ignored / neglected my packs:
  • 9V NiCD/NiMH Batteries (~8-10)
  • 9.6V NiCD Makita Pack (1)
  • 14.4V NiMH Roomba Packs (3)
I posted a query for other Roomba owners (Are There Other 'Concerned / Curious / KNOWLEDGEABLE' Roomba Owners Here?) back on 03/26/09 but received no replies.

Recently I began keeping a log of my 9V Batteries (which I eventually plan to post, based on the 'ON-Again / OFF-Again' interest in 9V Rechargeable Batteries). I also (*FINALLY*) CYCLEd my (2nd) Makita 9.6V NiCD Pack 3 times on my RadioShack 23-250 Universal Battery Pack Conditioner/Charger (Maha MH-C777 clone). SEALED packs (without balancing taps for EACH cell) are, IMHO, one ROYAL PITA to keep healthy. :sweat:

sweetlight,

For more, IMHO, useful information on Rechargeable NiCD/NiMH cells, please CLICK on my Green Sig LINK.