Nichia 219 edc?

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
If any of you want to use Convoy S2+ flashlight, beware of potential overheating problem. Mine do get hot on turbo mode (I had to hold the head containing light engine until it got very hot then I turn it off to set the stepdown point).

Wendee

Enlightened
If any of you want to use Convoy S2+ flashlight, beware of potential overheating problem. Mine do get hot on turbo mode (I had to hold the head containing light engine until it got very hot then I turn it off to set the stepdown point).

Yes, I had read that they get hot. I really like the look of the Covoy S2+ (a lot) but I ended up ordering the Covoy C8 which is a bit bigger but better for handling heat. The C8 definitely isn't a pretty light compared to the S2+ and it's a bit too big to EDC (for most people). I much prefer the look of the S2+. Oh, I should add that I really like the C8 and it's a well built light, and it's very well priced. Sorry, thought I should add that in case people think I don't like it because it's not pretty. ;)

So you can set the stepdown point on your S2+? That's great! So you won't have to worry about it getting too hot. I assume you can do this because of the bistro component (is that the driver?). I don't think the stock version has the option to set the stepdown?

I'm surprised to hear that the Nichia NVSW219CT-D280 puts out 500 lumens. Wow! I thought Nichia only put out around 300. Maybe that's just the Nichia219B and this newer one (219C) puts out more. Cool! Can you notice any difference in the color rendering and/or tint between the 219B & 219C?

Your S2+ sounds great. Will you be doing a review and/or thread to show how you built it? I'd love to see that (as would others, I'm sure). I hope you do :)

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Convoy C8 is the right choice in my experienced opinion. The Nichia 219C can get quite hot when direct-driven on 3.3 Volts Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) cell (just like I discovered) or on 1.4 - 2.8 Amps 7135 regulator driver if run on 4.2 Volts Li-ion cell.

EDITED: Bistro is a version of modified LED flashlight firmware - as for stepdown, it uses on-die thermistor available inside most smaller 8-pins SOIC-8 microcontrollers to monitor "skin" temperature - at the set point, when it gets HOT, the LED driver bumps down to medium-low brightness. As for UI setup, it's a bit weird.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a pretty awesome light, especially for the price. Good tint, plenty bright, pretty floody, and inexpensive. Somewhere on the other forum, Jaxman mentioned you can order directly from them and request the light to have the 3 modes and no blinky modes. Keep in mind the light uses PWM and sounds like its not a super fast PWM. While I like the beam, I personally get a headache when I use this light..but the tint is just awesome on this one. If I didn't get a headache, I was considering ordering both tints with no blinky modes from Jaxman.

I really like the Jaxman, good no frills light. I am decently sensitive to PWM, or I should say I can notice it pretty easily. But in this case it does not bug me. I have it with the 4000k color temp and I love it. I prefer it to some of the 5000k nichia lights I own, those I find too blue. I would like it better without the blinky modes but for the $17.30 I paid including shipping I am really happy with it.

Wendee

Enlightened
I really like the Jaxman, good no frills light. I am decently sensitive to PWM, or I should say I can notice it pretty easily. But in this case it does not bug me. I have it with the 4000k color temp and I love it. I prefer it to some of the 5000k nichia lights I own, those I find too blue. I would like it better without the blinky modes but for the $17.30 I paid including shipping I am really happy with it.

I read the other thread about this Jaxman and everyone is just raving about how awesome it is. One person said it's even better than the L11C Nichia (which is my favorite light!). Now I really want one and I was going to order one but then saw a post that the PWM made someone feel sick while using the light. So, I didn't go to order it (I hate feeling nauseous).

So you can notice the PWM but it didn't make you feel nauseous or give you a headache? Do any other lights with PWM make you feel ill? I'm actually hoping you'll tell me it's really rare so I can order this light. It sounds awesome.

Update: I missed the part in the quote above your post of the person who got a headache. Sigh. Oh well. I won't be ordering this light after all. Too bad because it sounds great. :(

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the other thread about this Jaxman and everyone is just raving about how awesome it is. One person said it's even better than the L11C Nichia (which is my favorite light!). Now I really want one and I was going to order one but then saw a post that the PWM made someone feel sick while using the light. So, I didn't go to order it (I hate feeling nauseous).

So you can notice the PWM but it didn't make you feel nauseous or give you a headache? Do any other lights with PWM make you feel ill? I'm actually hoping you'll tell me it's really rare so I can order this light. It sounds awesome.

I actually really don't notice it. I have another light which does have easily detectable PWM but it does not make me sick either. That other light is annoying, but not nauseating, this jaxman is perfectly fine for me. If you read muakka's review you can see that the PWM never really turns the light off, just dims it. That really mitigates the effects and one would have to be really sensitive to PWM to even be bothered by it. It is cheap enough that worst comes to worse and you only use it in high(doesn't use PWM in high) then it would still be a nice light. I recommend the 4000k over the 5700k.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what noticeable PWM looks like
21F3K4H.jpg

This is the Jaxman
vwMc3fB.jpg

Wendee

Enlightened
I actually really don't notice it. I have another light which does have easily detectable PWM but it does not make me sick either. That other light is annoying, but not nauseating, this jaxman is perfectly fine for me. If you read muakka's review you can see that the PWM never really turns the light off, just dims it. That really mitigates the effects and one would have to be really sensitive to PWM to even be bothered by it. It is cheap enough that worst comes to worse and you only use it in high(doesn't use PWM in high) then it would still be a nice light. I recommend the 4000k over the 5700k.

LOL, I had just updated my post as you were writing yours. I keep going back & forth. OK, since the tint and color rendering are apparently out of this world (as stated by many on the other thread), maybe I'll chance it and just use it on high (if the PWM bothers me). I just saw it on hkequipment and it costs ~$33.00 CAD. Yikes! Maybe I can find it cheaper somewhere else.

tops2

Enlightened
You can search the other forum for Jaxman E2 and browse the threads. I don't remember exactly which thread but one will have a link to their store on Aliexpress I believe. The cost when I checked a long while ago is about $20 USD. I got the 5700k (?) tint but did think about the warmer tint as well.

FWIW, I tried the light again and on high, I don't get headache as bad. I think it was mentioned there's PWM on low and medium but not high. The high is plenty bright and awesome. I don't use this light as much still though as I tend to like the BLF 348 (also perfect tint and size) or my Zebralight SC5w instead.

But if you're interested in high CRI, I really recommend picking up one as it's pretty inexpensive.

As an aside...the wait for the Zebralight SC600 MKIII Plus version is just so agonizing. I'm waiting for this light and really trying hard not to buy anything else!

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was intrigued about the L11c but I just read 14500 not supported? Anybody try one?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Eagletac D25A with Nichia 219b and love it using a high amp (unprotected) 14500 battery. My only comment would be that low isn't moonlight with that fuel cell.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Heck, real moonlight mode isn't even bright enough for me to use as a nightlight. I'm amazed at people who find 0.1 lumen or less usable even with dark adapted eyes. Obviously they have better eyesight than I do. I need 5 lumens minimum and I am happier with 10.

Wendee

Enlightened
Heck, real moonlight mode isn't even bright enough for me to use as a nightlight. I'm amazed at people who find 0.1 lumen or less usable even with dark adapted eyes. Obviously they have better eyesight than I do. I need 5 lumens minimum and I am happier with 10.

That's what I thought until about 2 nights ago. I could NOT understand how people could find their way around in the dark using sub-lumen moonlight. I had my L11C on my nightstand and when I turned it on to make a trip in the dark, it seemed too bright, so I went to cycle through to turn it "down" and it turns out it was the 0.09 lumen setting! I could NOT believe it. I thought 0.09 lumens was too bright! Unreal. So I guess, for me, "dark adapted" means waking up from being sound asleep. If I use the moonlight about 15 minutes after turning off the light, it's not bright enough to navigate. If I've been in the "dark" for hours, it's definitely bright enough. I find that strange.

Have you tried it from when waking up in the middle of the night in the pitch black (meaning no television on, or streetlight glow from outside)?

Update: It just occurred to me that I've started taking a vitamin supplement and maybe it helped to improved my night vision? I can't think of any other reason for the change. Hmmmm....

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
That's what I thought until about 2 nights ago. I could NOT understand how people could find their way around in the dark using sub-lumen moonlight. I had my L11C on my nightstand and when I turned it on to make a trip in the dark, it seemed too bright, so I went to cycle through to turn it "down" and it turns out it was the 0.9 lumen setting! I could NOT believe it. I thought 0.9 lumens was too bright! Unreal. So I guess, for me, "dark adapted" means waking up from being sound asleep. If I use the moonlight about 15 minutes after turning off the light, it's not bright enough to navigate. If I've been in the "dark" for hours, it's definitely bright enough. I find that strange.

Have you tried it from when waking up in the middle of the night in the pitch black (meaning no television on, or streetlight glow from outside)?

Update: It just occurred to me that I've started taking a vitamin supplement and maybe it helped to improved my night vision? I can't think of any other reason for the change. Hmmmm....
Yes although many would say 0.9 lumen is too high to be called moonlight. I often wake up in the middle of the night and to navigate a strange hotel suite I need 5 lumens right away. With less I trip on things. I may see the door with 1 lumen but not the obstacles in peripheral vision.

Unless you simply never eat vegetables vitamins will not improve night vision.

Wendee

Enlightened
Yes although many would say 0.9 lumen is too high to be called moonlight. I often wake up in the middle of the night and to navigate a strange hotel suite I need 5 lumens right away. With less I trip on things. I may see the door with 1 lumen but not the obstacles in peripheral vision.

Unless you simply never eat vegetables vitamins will not improve night vision.

Oh, I couldn't see any obstacles in my peripheral vision at all (on 0.09 lumens). I could only see things directly in the hotspot, but I was in my bedroom so I know what obstacles are where. You know, now I'm thinking maybe I made a mistake. After all, I was half asleep. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it wasn't at the 0.09 setting (although I was sure it was at the time). I don't know how it could seem too dim to navigate one week then too bright the next. I think I'll do a test tonight. :)

Correction: The moonlight level is 0.09 (not 0.9). I've changed this post to reflect the correct lumen output.

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
Hmmmm. Have we stumbled upon a new discovery? Eat more carrots = save batteries. You heard it first, here on CPF folks! LOL ;)
Sweet potatoes are good for night vision too! Maybe if we all ate nothing but orange vegetables, we wouldn't need flashlights at all. That wouldn't be any fun though ;)

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Moon mode is definitely a bit over 1 Lumen for me. Maybe I got weird driver or a bug in Moonlight mode in Bistro firmware. Nichia 219C is definitely bright on 3.3 Volts Lithium Iron Phosphate cell - low Vf of the LED is what got my attention.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been called worse than a dummy :p

Only a rough idea and glad it helps, I too looked for a bit of a guide and struggled to find one. It does seem a little :thinking:, but once in hand it falls into place(literally). Slight issues from the p60 seating(using the springs or not depending), to the bezel not fully screwing down or leaving a small gap like........

At the bezel /body end, easily throw an O ring there to take gap up, does not effect water proofing !

Then your freshly wrapped drop in out of the ****** host goes into the ****** host and wont fit as too tight!. So from one light to another there can be slight discrepancies of which none are deal breakers. Just require a little tweak here and there...........

These 2 hosts i really like, the cryos m2 bezel has a p60vn quad in, the m2 the xhp70

The xhp70 is fed on

The magnet between is just to add a few mm of length to help the triad tail make contact. At some point i will swap into the bored c2 and run on 2x 18350's for a change........

Cheers, yours faithfully dummy :nana:

Lol! I missed this post :D

It's definitely not "by dummies" but for people like me!! Appreciate your knowledge sharing ven.

I, too, have been called worse but probably earned the titles! :D

I've just picked up a seraph from eBay ( what can possibly go wrong right??!) so now I'm going to deck it out with something triple. If it arrives as described.....[emoji15][emoji6]