Nichia CS in Solitaire Mod

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I checked the thread I bought it from, and they're C0's...

Man, I tried all 8 I had left, and they all turned bright angry blue after about 20 seconds =) bummer.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... I wonder if your charger is slightly over charging them or something. Mine come off the charger at 4.16V to 4.18V according to my POS DMM.

In addition to the tint, do they strobe after a few seconds? It might be worth just trying one for a few hours to see what happens. Both of mine that started doing the strobe thing, started within 1 minute of use. Those same LEDs are still just as bright as when new, as long as they are in something that doesn't push them quite so hard as the LiON does.

If this mod is really what you are looking for, you might try conditioning the LiON by running it on something for a few minutes first to take the edge off a bit.

thinking.gif

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Mod Cratz2!

I think the LED lottery also has an effect on the voltage and current a particular emitter can handle.

My SMJLED Li-ion Solitaire started strong running direct without a resistor (around 150 mA), but after a couple months it has lost some punch.

I also did a DD Li-ion Lux (SX1K) mod in an Arc AAA, which also ran very strong for a couple months, then just started dying.

I've learned that the SMJLEDs are happier with at least a 5 ohm resistor (limiting current to around 100 mA), and the Luxes should be M bin Vf when running off the Li-ion cells.

I haven't tried the CS LEDs yet but it sounds like I should.

Let us know how your LED holds up being driven that hard.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrm, k - what's one dollar in the name of science =) i'll leave a CO Nichia in there for a few hours then, when I'm back in town.

I was able to get in touch w/ PhotonFanatic, and he said that a J bin (txoj) would be safest if i wanted to do a Lux III in the solitaire...

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag SOLITAIRE

Hey Guys,

I just got a Mag Solitaire and I would like to mod it with
an LED.

I read someone's MOD using a NICHIA CS LED.

Where do you guys get these LED's. Can anyone recommend
a reputable site or store ?? I'm aslo in the market for a
K2 emitter(Future project). I'm not sure if the K2 is for sale as of yet.

If anyone else modded a Solitaire, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Ray
PS- HENRYE, if your reading this....see what you started ??:lolsign:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: Mag SOLITAIRE

I'd berate you for not using the search engine, but you're a New Yorker too, so I'll cut you some slack. ;) (Just kidding.)

(Mod edit: took 1st link out as I merged the thread into this one!)

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102083

SMJLEDs are available directly from Lambda, and I don't know who here is currently selling Nichias. It looks like the $3 clearanced white LED keychain squeeze lights at Radioshack (similar in appearance to a rubbery, translucent Photonlight) use Nichia CS, and if you want just one, it'd be the easiest way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag SOLITAIRE

Thanks Carrot!!

I have a squeezelight and didn't even think of it!

Thanks for the BRIGHT idea...no pun intended:rock:

What part of NYC Carrot??

Ray

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in Forest Hills Carrot. I grew up in the Lower East side...lol

12st Ave C

Small world buddy

Ray

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, 9 or 10 months later and the solitaire is still going strong on the same LED. I did two two other similar mods using the little $.99 Walmart aluminum 1xAAA light. I did one with a C0 and one with a B0. Tried the B0 first and it started flickering with about 10 seconds use. Turn it off, then back on... Seems as bright as it was initially, but starts flickering again. I just let it run and it completely died after maybe 2 minutes.

Swapped out the B0 for a C0 and the C0 is still going strong. I don't have much use on it as I greatly prefer the form factor of the Solitaire, but I have at least two charge cycles on the $.99 light.

The Solitaire... man. I'm really surprised it's still working, to be honest. I've probably got close to 20 charge cycles on it. Usually I only use it for 2 or 3 minutes at a time but a week or so back, we had a series of power interruptions and I just killed the main breaked just so the lights wouldn't keep coming on and going off. I got out my 3xRxxH light for living room light and the Solitaire to play with. I had it on for at least a half hour continuously.

I did pick up a lime green Solitaire to do something with... I might try building a duplicate to the original C0 build just to see if it's lost any of it's brightness. I'm sure it has, but it still works very impressively. It's a great 'in the mouth' light. We have two mini barns on our property that don't have power. Everytime I go out there to look for something specific, the modded Solitaire is my go to light. It's VERY useful as it gives plenty of brightness without being blinding... and the part I really love is the huge hotspot. Can't really even call it a hot spot... Just a uber wide beam. Sort of like an L4 on super low.