Nikon SLR/D-SLR fans

CarvingEnsos

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first dslr, a nikon d3100. Came with the 18-55 kit, also have the 55-300 dx, and just ordered the 35mm 1.8 prime. Pretty happy with the kit lense but it'll be nice to shoot wide open and experiment with bokeh and low light shoots. The telephoto seems slow and dull. Ordered filters, another sd card and a shoulder sling strap also. Oh well, won't be buying that zl 18650, not that I could find it instock anywhere anyways...

Looking forward to some walking around Barcelona with the prime.

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
I'm a D300 user, along with a Contax 35mm camera and having previously owned a Bronica ETRSi medium format set-up.

I shoot lots of different subjects, including commercial shoots for promotions, school proms, motor sport, pet portraits, etc...

Studio wise, I have a large collection of Elinchrom kit, monoblocs and power pack, various backgrounds, stands, still life equipment, etc...

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a WU-1B for the D610. I bought it mainly for posting images on forums as using my iPhone leaves a lot to be desired, but, using the DSLR can be such a pain to transfer the data since I primarily use an iPad. My PC stays shut down for the most part during the week and it takes a lot of time to boot it up then sign on so getting the data off the D610 is difficult at best. Doing so using the WU-1B and a free iPad app it's Apple simple.

vicali

Newly Enlightened
I started with a film Nikon back when I got my first real job :D. It was a F65 (N65US) and it came with a kit lens and a 70-300 zoom. That lasted while I figured out what the buttons did and how to use it.

Upgraded to a D70s when I could and have gathered a few more lenses; 12-24, nifty 50, got some pelican cases and tripods and had a good time taking photos.

We've just had our second little one and needed a better family camera- of course it's going to be a Nikon so we bought a D3100.

I've been impressed with every Nikon I've had.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the mistake of walking into a large camera store near my work today. They had a few Nikon F2A's there for $100 as-is. Tested two of them for function and they appear sound. Damn, now it want one! I've always had a soft spot for the F2 since I was 12 or so.

MUST. NOT. THINK. ABOUT. NIKON. F2!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the mistake of walking into a large camera store near my work today. They had a few Nikon F2A's there for $100 as-is. Tested two of them for function and they appear sound. Damn, now it want one! I've always had a soft spot for the F2 since I was 12 or so.

MUST. NOT. THINK. ABOUT. NIKON. F2!

If it makes you feel any better, I went through the same thing with bicycles that I wanted when I was young. When one popped up for sale in excellent condition, I bought it... and have been happy with the purchase since then. It's sooo shiny and cool! :)

I'd say buy the F2A and give it a good home. You'll save it from a potentially horrible fate, and you'll have scratched that itch. The worse case scenario is that you sell it to some other Nikon fan at a loss.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but, that'll make two film cameras that I won't use much, if at all. With bicycles, you have the option of riding a classic steel frame bike with old school shifters and brakes, a manly man's ride, or a modern carbon fiber wonder bike with brifters and dual pivot brakes that'll stop you on a dime with one finger, and you'll be happy either way. With cameras, especially when choosing between film or digital, it's completely one-sided: the digital wins for speed, simplicity, ease of use, frame count (36 exposure roll vs 64GB for 1000+ pictures shooting RAW), and a few other things my sleep deprived brain cannot muster at the moment.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me, the cure is to look around at all of the parts and things that are already cluttering up my space. The urge to buy something else is quickly squashed. :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Envision me standing in my garage looking at 9 bicycles, assorted car parts, assorted R/C cars, fishing rods, flashlights in various states of disrepair, a miniature mill, tabletop lathe, with a D610 over one shoulder and an F4s in my left hand taking a deep breath and letting out a sigh...

KNaB

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my first, a Nikon d5200. I'm still tinkering and learning when I get the time. Also picked up the Nikkor 105 mm micro lens and a 12-24 1.4

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought my first, a Nikon d5200. I'm still tinkering and learning when I get the time. Also picked up the Nikkor 105 mm micro lens and a 12-24 1.4

mmmmm.... a 12-24 f1.4 would be nice too!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Envision me standing in my garage looking at 9 bicycles, assorted car parts, assorted R/C cars, fishing rods, flashlights in various states of disrepair, a miniature mill, tabletop lathe, with a D610 over one shoulder and an F4s in my left hand taking a deep breath and letting out a sigh...

okay, I appreciate that... and I feel better.. I have 8 bicycles. :)

Can I sell you any vintage bike bits? SunTour derailleurs? Brooks Swift saddle with titanium rails? NOS Detto shoes with oak soles?
But I really do love the shiny old bikes; polished aluminum and leather, waxed paint and chrome. Does it get any better?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need to start a classic bicycles thread! LOL! I need to take more photos of my '86 Colnago International with full first generation Campy Chorus components. It's a neo-retro so it's not true to the era (modern saddle, modern seatpost, modern wheels, compact cranks, 20 speeds) but it rides like a dream.

Back on topic. I have one less lens as of today. Gave the 28-80 mm to my daughter's school to use with their D70s. They only had a 50mm f/1.8D to use with it and the 28-80 was a freebie (okay, okay, I spent $3 buying a reproduction Nikon lens cap off the 'Bay for it). Guess I'll start using the 35-70 and hunt for a 20mm f/2.8 AI. Don't really need AF at that focal length.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need to start a classic bicycles thread! LOL! I need to take more photos of my '86 Colnago International with full first generation Campy Chorus components. It's a neo-retro so it's not true to the era (modern saddle, modern seatpost, modern wheels, compact cranks, 20 speeds) but it rides like a dream.

There is a web site with a Google group that started as an e-mail list that deals with "vintage lightweights", although anything newer than '82 or '83 is considered too new and fancy to be discussed.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/
I've kept my classics equipped with 5 or 6 speed freewheels and 42/52 cranks for those equipped with all Campy gear. Other bikes are more practical, with old SunTour and Sugino stuff that provides low gears.
Fun to ride and to play with. :)

My cameras have always been in support of other interests, so I've never gotten emotionally involved in the same way. Yeah.. it was a bit traumatic to get rid of the film cameras that I'd had for 20 years or more, but I've been happy with the change to digital.

MBentz

Enlightened
I'm just now getting back into photography after a break that lasted a few years. I slowly worked my way up from a D40 to the wonderful D200, which I had for some time before stepping up to the D600. I had to sell it and all my other gear to pay some bills a while back. I'm at a point now where I can afford to jump back into the game, but with a limited budget. I recently acquired a mint D2X with lots of life left on the shutter. I'm primarily a low ISO shooter, or else I would have given the D7K a more serious look. I've got a 12-24 f4 lens on the way, and now I'm trying to decide on an older 80-200 f2.8, or the wonderful 180mm prime. Leaning towards the prime at the moment, and filling in the mid-range with an older 35-70 2.8D.

Hopefully in another two to three years, the D3s will be below the $1k mark! I have to admit, the Fuji X system looks very nice, though.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going on a somewhat related rant about Nikon's mirrorless cameras, the Nikon 1 series: I believe that they've made a large mistake going with the 1" sensor that they've done. Why in the world would they go with such a small sensor? They've alienated folks looking for a large sensor camera like some of the newer offerings from manufacturers like Fujifilm. Nikon Rumors has a comment about a rumored D2300 camera, a mirrorless (presumably) DX factor camera that uses Nikon F-mount lenses. What Nikon should have done was to make the Nikon 1 use a DX sensor to begin with and retain the shorter lens to film distance like they had done with the 1. Sell a separate adapter to allow AF (and even MF) lenses to be used and they'd have a winner on their hands. Yes, I know, they went with the smaller sensor to allow for a smaller camera system. Maybe a Nikon 2 series with DX sensor? Even better, make the Nikon 2 series lenses with an image circle large enough to allow a larger FX sensor and a Nikon 3 series camera with full frame sensor.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently decided to try out using the intervalometer feature on the D610. Punch in the interval then the duration and the camera does the rest. Took a photo every ten seconds for fifteen minutes. At 30 FPS, you get three seconds of video doing this (5 minutes gives you 30 frames which gives you one second of video). Turned out pretty good taking time lapse photos of clouds drifting over San Francisco.

On a related note, bigC gave me an old tripod last year and it turned out to be a Bogen 3046 made by Manfrotto. It also has a 3063 fluid head with a broken lever. Works just fine after figuring out what all the knobs and switches do. Hoping to use it to shoot some video with the D610 this year.

SemiMan

Banned
Keep in mind that's a mechanical shutter. Nice to play with but not intended for lots of slow month work.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. except for the D5200 part. I am looking to buy a new Nikon Next month. Baby on the way. The D40x has served me well. I need one that does video & pics. I am a huge Nikon fan. I find them easier for me (tech challenged) to use. I also would like it to connect to my PC via wifi and upload the pics. Any of the pros have a suggestion as to what kinda Nikon I can get?

I've got a D40x, purchased 5 or 6 years ago, and a new D5200. Switching from film to digital was worthwhile, and digital tech has certainly advanced enough that I don't feel like I've given up anything.

I had been using Canon film cameras, so there were no qualms about getting rid of my old lenses. I haven't bought many lenses, and probably won't need to. My main lens is a 18-135/f3.5-5.6. I've got a 70-300mm for aircraft and birds. The third and last lens is an older 50mm f1.8 lens for portraits, which is nice, but requires manual focusing. It does make me miss the focusing aids that were common in my old film cameras.

I do miss the large apertures of my old lenses. Are the new lenses slower just to save money on glass? Practically speaking, the new cameras are pretty sensitive and I can bump up the ISO setting enough to compensate for the slower lenses, so it's not a real problem.