Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. Build quality is excellent, the switch is very good and the UI is easy to use after using it a few times.

Brightness is very good both on NiMH and Li-ions. Going to try EDCing this instead of my HDS for a few days:eek: :D

Sverre

Gatsby

Enlightened
The NightCore is a simple two-stage light out of the box too. Head tight = really bright, head loose = not.

It's really quite easy and quick to get used to.

mchl (and robo) - many consider the UI on the Liteflux to be tricky but once used I don't find it cumbersome for how I actually use the light - sounds like this is the case here as well. I'll have to reread the instruction set...

How is the step up/down compared to the Liteflux (since the linear setup on the LF series is that lights only real flaw that I can complain about)?

whc

Enlightened
Am beginning to have some problems with my DI:

1. The head/bezel is getting VERY hard to loosen/tighten, making it almost impossible to ramping up/down in user-defined mode, since it is hard to do it within 0.5sec when it is so tight. Tried to clean the threads completely several times, and then putting some new lube on the threads on o-ring, also tried to "break-in" the threads, but nothing helps, also sounds really "rough".
2. The switch is sometimes flicker when using it at tactical flashlight (half press), not a big problem, but kind of annoying. Also a couple of times had the switch failed on me :(.
3. This is purely cosmetic, but the battery tube seems almost completely black, while the rest (head and tail) is natural-grey. Normally I don't mine some variations in the color of the HA, but this is just too much, making is seems very cheap an almost like it is put together of two different flashlights, not happy with it at all.

Have tried to contact Edgetac about this, no reply yet (guess they are on weekend), but any other with similar problems?

Else it is a really nice flashlight, best 1xAA out there at the moment IMO.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
mchl (and robo) - many consider the UI on the Liteflux to be tricky but once used I don't find it cumbersome for how I actually use the light - sounds like this is the case here as well. I'll have to reread the instruction set...

How is the step up/down compared to the Liteflux (since the linear setup on the LF series is that lights only real flaw that I can complain about)?
I see swxb12 has already directed you to my thread. :) The ramping is much better on the NiteCore, as you'll see there.

The UI on the NiteCore is simplicity itself compared to the Liteflux. I find it very intuitive and elegant, and nowhere near as finicky as my LF-5.

In my extensive testing of the NiteCore over the last month, it has continued to work flawlessly (been my EDC since it arrived). In contrast, my LF-5 needed re-adjustment within mintues of arrival, and continues to be finicky to this day.

There's really no comparison - the NiteCore is a fantastic light. :twothumbs

mchlwise

Enlightened
The UI on the NiteCore is simplicity itself compared to the Liteflux. I find it very intuitive and elegant, and nowhere near as finicky as my LF-5.

Agreed.

BUT... you have to take into account the vast number of "features" the LF5 has over the NiteCore. The NiteCore essentially has only 3 modes, and only 1 of them is programmable. The LF5 does a lot more, but it does take some patience to get it do to what you want it to.

One problem I've had with the NiteCore's UI is unintentionally activiting strobe. I think this is most easily avoided by loosening the head aggressively so it doesn't "accidentally" make contact again and start strobing.

I've also had it start slow strobing on occasion, and haven't figured out quite how or why it does that yet. :thinking:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look out! It's a ................

NDI044Small.jpg

:crackup:
Or? rong, s ..light mistake? lol! :naughty:

Edit; btw, I am giving up hope on receiving this light. :caution: strong light? lol.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using AW's Protected 14500.

Top view of the +ve end.

ND002Small.jpg

The rear of my module is starting to look like this.

ND001Small.jpg

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some ultrafire 14500 from DX,it had a normal top nipple like any other AA battery.I dont think it will gouge like that. Ill let you know how it works when my nitecore arrives!!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have AW's cells just waiting for the light when it arrives - can't wait.

Paul - I wonder if the 14500 cells that you have from UF are protected? The extra tab that is shown on the AW cell is the protection circuit. I do know that UF has both a protected and non-protected 14500 cell that is offered.

I decided that I wanted to have the extra protection with the protected cells. I know that the DI is supposed to have the built in low voltage feature though.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left, Olight T15 Q5. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5

T15015Small.jpg

Left, Olight T15 Q5. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5

T15014Small.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also took lux readings of the lights above. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using a Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 in the Olight T15 Q5. I used AW's Protected 14500 in the Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 to take lux readings.

T15022Small.jpg

DBS028Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 - 1960 lux @ 1 meter

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 - 2510 lux@ 1 meter

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90"

T15027Small.jpg

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 @ 90"

T15025Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

T15028Small.jpg

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

T15026Small.jpg

Left, Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90"

T15029Small.jpg

Left, Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

T15030Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 32'

T15032Small.jpg

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 @ 32'

T15031Small.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
BUT... you have to take into account the vast number of "features" the LF5 has over the NiteCore. The NiteCore essentially has only 3 modes, and only 1 of them is programmable. The LF5 does a lot more, but it does take some patience to get it do to what you want it to.
Quite true - I was only speaking of the interface. The LF5 is certainly more versatile (and correspondingly more complex).

I've also had it start slow strobing on occasion, and haven't figured out quite how or why it does that yet. :thinking:
x2x3x2 reported that as well (scroll back up to the previous page), but I've been unable to elicit it on mine.

And thanks for the extra comparison Ernie ... my O-light Q15 is on order.:thumbsup:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. The head/bezel is getting VERY hard to loosen/tighten, making it almost impossible to ramping up/down in user-defined mode, since it is hard to do it within 0.5sec when it is so tight. Tried to clean the threads completely several times, and then putting some new lube on the threads on o-ring, also tried to "break-in" the threads, but nothing helps, also sounds really "rough".

The different colored body sounds suspicious. Almost like you got something from another batch, and it doesn't quite fit the rest of the parts. What lube are you using?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Top view of the +ve end.

ND002Small.jpg

The rear of my module is starting to look like this.

ND001Small.jpg

Whoa, nasty! I had no idea those protected cells had a weld tab on the positive end. It looks like a little gentle tapping with a punch could flatten it better, it appears to have a corner sticking up that is digging into the board when twisting. The board is still easily remedied by adding a small pool of solder over the positive trace in the middle. It won't need to be too thick to do the trick, and probably can't be without starting to crowd the battery against the tailcap spring.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have tried to contact Edgetac about this, no reply yet (guess they are on weekend), but any other with similar problems?

Else it is a really nice flashlight, best 1xAA out there at the moment IMO.

My light is also hard to turn but your light sounds lot harder than mine.

Not buttery smooth twisting action like some other lights I have.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Top view of the +ve end.

Yikes! Does it look like you have some kind of arcing going on? Why aren't you using the little magnet AW normally includes with those batteries? Without it, I can't imagine it making very good connection. He includes those magnets for a reason as they act as the nipple. :)

I'm using a AW 14500 with the magnet and haven't had any issues.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW vs ultrafire 14500 Hope this helps.I know what Ill use. 900 mah, PROTECTED.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes! Does it look like you have some kind of arcing going on? Why aren't you using the little magnet AW normally includes with those batteries? Without it, I can't imagine it making very good connection. He includes those magnets for a reason as they act as the nipple. :)

I'm using a AW 14500 with the magnet and haven't had any issues.

Magnet and lion ,are not a good combo,i never rememeber Aw including magnetes with mine.I think I order from lighthound.Magnets can slip and shot out/thermal runaway and a meltdown.Burnining with toxic vaors. So Do NOT use manets and lion(my Opinion)battery.This is why I stick to single cell lights using lion.Multi cell I stay with NIMH.