Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes! Does it look like you have some kind of arcing going on? Why aren't you using the little magnet AW normally includes with those batteries? Without it, I can't imagine it making very good connection. He includes those magnets for a reason as they act as the nipple. :)

I'm using a AW 14500 with the magnet and haven't had any issues.

I have had a bad experience with a magnet on a 18650 in MR Bulks Chameleon. The light was setting on my desk. I accidently bumped the light and it fell on it's side. When the light fell over my board got fried. The light wasn't even on. After that I told myself that I would never use those magnets again. I only use the magnets to see if a rechargeable lithium will work if the light will not first light up with a lithium.

Rzr800

Enlightened
I want to thank all of you (especially ernsanada) for your comments. Just received my AW14500's today; charged them and am now taking them out of the light permanently. Bar none and regardless of price...who makes the best protected cell out there?

Thanks again for possibly preventing a very bad situation. :crazy:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is +ve side on an Ultrafire Unprotected 14500. I'm not sure if the the Ultrafire Protected 14500 +ve side looks like this but this maybe a better alternative to the AW's Protected 14500.

HTFD13030Small.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have a couple of AW protected 14500s I was going to use, but now I may go the Ultrafire route. Are the Ultrafires as good as or better than AWs?
AW's protecteds are generally regarded by most members here as among the best li-ion batteries you can find. Ultrafires are probably better than completely unbranded, but typically storage capacity is exaggerated and quality of protection circuits is unknown on cheaper batteries.

It's unfortunate that AW's 14500 don't come with a +'ve nipple, but I've never experienced any problems with any of the ones I own, in any light. The weld tab on Ernie's looks a little rough - mine are all much flatter and smoother. I've been running my NiteCore on these since it arrived (3 different AW 14500s in fact) - and the head still looks pristine.

I also do not recommend use of those magnets - too dangerous. Even with the light off, a strong jarring motion could short the +'ve terminal to the -'ve body, causing a potentially dangerous situation for Li-ion. Like Ernie, I only use them for testing situations under controlled conditions - never in actual usage.

Just my opinion, but I would tend to trust AW protecteds over no-name or ultrafire-branded batteries.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

robo21

Enlightened
I PM'd AW on this issue. He replied that he will go to work on a new batch of button top 14500 batteries that will eliminate this problem.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally picked up my Nitecore Defender Infinity today and opened the package tonight. It was actually delivered Tuesday, but I didn't have time to pick up until today and couldn't open till about an hour ago. My first impressions are WOW! I took it apart and it's very well made, chemkoted throughout, smooth threads, good anodizing. The head is a bit lighter than the tail, which is a bit lighter than the body (the tail and body are closer together in color tho). The head is dark grey while the tail and body are really dark grey. The difference isn't huge and it still looks really nice! The clicky is a bit soft, but easy to press. I do wish it could tailstand, but that's a minor issue. Output is great and my stepping up and down of output works perfectly. Right now, I have it set to the lowest low, which is very low, especially with an alkaline. It's comfortable in the hand and all the knurling makes gripping and twisting the head pretty easy. As mentioned previously, the 3-point head does reduce stability when standing on the head, but it's not too bad. The size is pretty small too. Without the strike portion of the bezel and the protruding tailcap, it's similar size to my Jet1 MK1, which is amongst the smallest 1xAA lights. My L1D always felt so much larger than my Jet1 (which is was relatively). I really like the size and feel of the Nitecore DI. It's so much easier to grip than my L1D was also. Output on a 14500 is really bright! Overall, damn I love this light. It will definitely be in my EDC rotation.

EDIT: Played with it a bit more last night and noticed a notable characteristic: When in low and twisting the head to high (tighten head), output stays low for about 0.5s and then turns to high. Also, when in high mode and turning the DI on with the switch, it always starts in low mode for a split second (<<0.5s) and then turns to high. Mine does that reliably, so I'm assuming it's part of its design (how the driver works). I have no problem with it since it reliably gets into the mode I want.

P.S. Regarding 14500s, I have 14500 cells I purchased a while back from e-lectronics.net and they have a nipple, albeit one that protrudes less than the Ultrafire, and they work fine. The nipple definitely seems to aid in preventing gouging into the driver board. Has anyone tried the Trustfires from DX?...I read on DX (from users) that the Trustfires tend to be slightly shorter than the Ultrafires, which may help for the DI.

Last edited:

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone already tried to remove those inscriptions on the light?

I hope it's not difficult... :)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone already tried to remove those inscriptions on the light?

I hope it's not difficult... :)
It's laser engraved, so you can't just remove it. It's going to be difficult. Maybe black paint? Or just a permanent marker?

Rzr800

Enlightened
I PM'd AW on this issue. He replied that he will go to work on a new batch of button top 14500 batteries that will eliminate this problem.

Thanks for doing so and getting back with us. It is also comforting to know that nobody on here feels that anybody in the entire world makes a better quality protected battery than AW, per my request above (I will wait for what he comes up with also).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a bad experience with a magnet on a 18650 in MR Bulks Chameleon. The light was setting on my desk. I accidently bumped the light and it fell on it's side. When the light fell over my board got fried. The light wasn't even on. After that I told myself that I would never use those magnets again. I only use the magnets to see if a rechargeable lithium will work if the light will not first light up with a lithium.

I've often wondered about that. Looking at my 14500 it would seem the plastic sleeve around the battery would prevent the magnet from slipping off the + terminal. Did the 18650's you were using have as much of a "lip" from the plastic wrap as the 14500's do? I guess it's still possible for the magnet to get around it, and you've had it happen with 18650's.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
My prtected cell looks the same.Ultrafire.
If Aw does come out with a good button top Ill get some for sure!

This is +ve side on an Ultrafire Unprotected 14500. I'm not sure if the the Ultrafire Protected 14500 +ve side looks like this but this maybe a better alternative to the AW's Protected 14500.

HTFD13030Small.jpg

Last edited:

grinsekatz

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've tried to use UltraFire protected but they are too long.
So there is no contact between the end of the battery tube and the switch.

1st picture: AW LiIon protected.

2nd picture: Eneloop.

3rd picture: UltraFire protected.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi, I've tried to use UltraFire protected but they are too long.
So there is no contact between the end of the battery tube and the switch.
Thanks for posting the pics. I was afraid that would be the an issue (and likely why there is no nipple to start with on AW protected 14500s, I suspect). Given the extra length of protected cells, the added height of the nipple could be a problem on many lights. As it is, I know there are some light that can't even handle the height of regular protected cell without the nipple.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
awe man... to think I ordered some AWs for use with this light. thanks for the heads up. i guess i need to find another 14500 light for my AWs :(

Latest posts