NItecore EC1 = Less than quality experience

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
I've just ordered a EC1 and then saw this thread. Its good to see there are people who haven't had any problems, I've had a nitecore D10 for years without issues so I'm not too worried.

Yes, there is lots of manufacturing variance between production samples, so if one can afford it, better order several samples, pick the most flawless unit, and then return all other samples to the dealer.

Disgraceful, I hope people who do this just get sent the opened used / faulty lights that others have sent back. I once spent a few hundred £ on a nice knife, it was to be my pride and joy, part of a collection, a shelf queen. It had been opened and most likely used and returned by someone else before I got it. Needless to say I wasn't very happy and didn't keep it very long.

Sean02149

Newly Enlightened
I had my EC1 for maybe a month - fun, versatile, bright! Love the red light. Anyway, couple of days ago I picked it up and it was dead - figured the battery went dead but no, the battery is fine. (Tired 2 others) The dealer said send it right back and they'll replace it.

I had just decided to make it my EDC, but now I'm having doubts about it.

I'm just wondering how many people have a good one, and how many got a dud?

thanks,
Sean

Just in case anyone is thinking about purchasing from the explorer series. The light is cool, the light is bright enough and overall it was worth the price... for almost an hour.

the first glitch happened after turning on the red LED. After that, nothing worked as it was supposed to: I couldn't turn the light off; I'd initiate lockout, and it would proceed to indicate voltage and complete lockout with the light still on. Sometimes trying to set lockout would send it into strobe. I currently cannot turn the light off without loosening the cap. It flickers kinda weird when it gets itself messed up, the power button will change modes instead of on/off. It's just a mess. Poor product to say the least.

I jumped in with all the excitement and couldn't wait to get my new light, and it's just a steaming pile. I'm not sure if I got jacked by the retailer, since the box didn't seem as awesome and closed as a box on a new product should be, but I will let them respond to the situation before I name names, since they are a recommended retailer here..

But of all the hobbies (not buying a light as a hobby, but I can see how it goes there), this one has been the most disappointing. I touched my toe in the water and got bitten hard right off the bat.

I did get some new batteries, and I used one in my old old fenix p10 that was flaking out, and it's much better. Maybe I don't need a new light after all, although I was anticipating some enjoyment like many seem to have here.

Oh well.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
probably lots of duds! i was considering this light too, but after all the issues, i just got an Olight S10, cheaper, no frills and much better quality.

Oh yeah, dont get the EC1 wet, its NOT waterproof.

Xiotis

Newly Enlightened
Have all the Nitecore Explorer series except the EC2. No problem with any of then despite i use them more often than all the rest due to the fact that they simply too much fun to use!
I understand that they are not the most bright or the most durable lights but i get so my joy out of them all that i simply don't care. They have all features that i can ask from a flashlight.
I love especially the little ones, the EA1 and the EC1.

Certainly bad incidents happen to all lights, to some more than others, but this has never ever stopped me from buying a light that i really like.

Xiotis

Newly Enlightened
probably lots of duds! i was considering this light too, but after all the issues, i just got an Olight S10, cheaper, no frills and much better quality.

Oh yeah, dont get the EC1 wet, its NOT waterproof.

I wonder why the EC1 should be any different than the EA1 as water resistance is concerned.

I say this because i have EDCed several times my EA1 under rain and heavy moisture conditions (camping) and i have never had any single problem with it.
At least as yet :))

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find a light I am happy with, then order/return until I get a good one. Or buy a few, and gift the less than perfect ones. Haven't had much luck with Nitecore. Bought three so far. First EC1 went thru a charge in standby mode about every 10-14 days or so. EC2 had a badly centered LED. Second EC1 had a rippled reflector, but I'm still using it anyway because its near the LED where it doesn't matter much, and it's an awesome light. I had 4 JetBeams. Every one went back. I throw away my 4Sevens when they quit. Been thru 5 or 6. All failed on lithium primaries. Sure, I could buy a custom built (owned a few) or pay a lot more with some brands. But the Chinese manufacturers are simply more cutting-edge and innovative. I'm not willing to wait 2 years plus for Surefire holding out to buy older LED's at closeout pricing. I'll be keeping my Z2's and C2 for a long time. Cost about $45-$50 bucks for the latest LED drop-in. My current drop-in makes 1100+ OTF and 15,850 lux. Not bad for $48 dollars. They are my "needed" lights. They have NEVER failed. The others are toys I play with. But dang....it sure is fun to play with those Sun-Ray Kings. $37 bucks shipped. I can buy 5 for the price of my Sunwayman T60CS. The SRKing I have now has been flawless. 2100 Lumens and 26,800 lux. Nothing comes close for the price. So Buy many, then gift the non-perfect ones. Works for me.

Last edited:

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
Re: NItecore EC1 = Junk

EC1 for my son: great light, easy to learn, very surprisingly bright for its size.

Anything that is manufactured can produce a dud. OP spent more energy venting on line than he did in picking up the phone, calling vendor and swapping it or returning it.

I have found the vendors here to be always willing to help.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NItecore EC1 = Junk

To be fair, the EC1 appears to be very flawed. This is the first time I have posted it, but my switch died after a few days, the next one I received had an extremely uncentered LED. I would not recommend the current EC1 model. However, I really hope Nitecore comes out with an all new redesigned light with the same small size, nice clip, and giant reflector with XPG2 and even driven harder.