Nitecore: From out of nowhere

smg

Newly Enlightened
Its not really a surprise, many light company's turn out fantastic products. Just because it didn't have a place on the forum doesn't mean its origins are spontaneous
Exactly. What is truly surprising is that the people involved in the development of the light were able to keep their mouth's shut about it. I think that's rare these days :)

Illum

Flashaholic
Exactly. What is truly surprising is that the people involved in the development of the light were able to keep their mouth's shut about it. I think that's rare these days :)

you could say the same for maglite...
Fenix is basically the same...but theres so many rumors about this and that its becoming rather gray colored instead of black and white [as in what exists and what doesn't]

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
One great thing is that this speaks to the health of the flashlight industry. Smaller, younger companies taking risks and shaking things up--this pushes everyone to be better. And, of course, in the end we win! What a great time to be a flashaholic!:twothumbs

zband

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, could someone explain what makes this light special?

I checked out the site but could someone explain what is this piston drive mech? why is it better?

Illum

Flashaholic
Piston Drive [or PD] in a nutshell is a proof of concept made by user Mcgizmo many moons ago. It was this design that propelled his reputation and lasted for many moons a custom light before it was "bought" by a company and made into a retail light.

the PD is basically a tube within a tube. The inner tube carries the battery while other outer tube acts as the body. rather than adding a push switch for levels, Mcgizmo allowed the battery tube room to slide up and down inside the body while still preserving the twist on/twist off function.

between the body and the battery tube theres two o rings, one near the bezel the other towards the end. Together they form a water-tight chamber keeping the battery and the electronics dry if the light is dunked in water.

I don't own a nitecore, but that being said, I love my McLuxIII-PD, sure its a U bin LuxeonIII, but who cares, theres no flashlight like it:thumbsup:

this thread: FAQ: McLuxIII-PD, McLuxIII-T and McLuxIII-Ti-PD should tell you everything you need to know about the concept

Mcgizmo's product overview shows many examples of the PD in design
McGizmo's PD design is pure genius provides a little more on topic

The new nitecore design followed McGizmo's concept [with permission] and basically uses the same method in their lights.

Hopefully this should answer some [if not all] of your questions, let me know if it helps
cheers :grin2:

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, who are the others?

I recall Barbolite, some custom lights. Indeed very very few. It's a tougher alloy about 2x better in some cases up to 4x in some cases, some people say it's 2x more expensive. It's got a few draw backs but on paper the advantages seem to outweigh the draw back.

To me it's just a nice touch it's like gold plating an audio connector.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm just happy that NiteCore finally has

a reliable, trustworthy U.S. dealer.

4Sevens truly will add a LOT to the NiteCore equation.

:twothumbs
_

Mostly

Newly Enlightened
I think Nitecore should just add this to their advertistments...
"Nitecore - Light, Out of Nowhere" Hahaha much better than "Strong Light".

Even better in Latin: Lux ex nusquam!
icon10.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts