Nitecore HC90 sliding switch and waterproofing

Telkwa

Newly Enlightened
Good morning!
I've gotta ask about that sliding switch on the HC90. Nitecore claims IPX-8 but I'm very skeptical.

A shaft can be sealed reasonably well, but a sliding mechanism? Someone please explain that one to me.

swan

Banned
I believe it has a external magnet in the yellow switch and internal hall sensors to adjust brightness so there is no issue with water ingress.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
It's a "Nitecore IPX-8" rating which has nothing to do with water. Your instincts are correct; don't get it wet!

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
It's a "Nitecore IPX-8" rating which has nothing to do with water. Your instincts are correct; don't get it wet!

What makes you say that. The switch is magnetically operated as Swan suggested.

I am not a caver and I wouldn't go submerging it for no reason but I am not concerned about using it in the rain.

Bob

These are the IPX ratings from the Nitecore website.

1-1_IPX_img.jpg

http://www.nitecorelights.com/pages/ipx-standard

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
It means I've had several nitecore lights including the HC90 and they are not waterproof. There is no accountability.

To go from a IPX5 to a IPX8 in nitecore terms means to diligently go thru the literature on the box and change the numeral "5" to a numeral "8."

A quality job of increasing the IPX rating means that you consistently have the numbers matching on your website.
A cheap job means you only changed some of the numerals in your literature.

Think of it like the Sony Xperia "Z" line of "waterproof" phones with a waterproof rating of "IPX68." They now finally no longer have that rating despite the fact that the "waterproofness" has actually increased a bit in their last model jump from the z3 to the z5.
The crazy part, some reputable reviewers who must know that (because they tell us that in their reviews) express disappointment in the phone because it is no longer rated IPX68 (it still has that rating here in Malaysia; but once again that has nothing to do with water ingress - that's about bribes) despite the fact in outside testing it has improved a bit. It's just it was never close to IPX68.

The important point to the original poster (or anyone else considering this light) is YES! Trust your instincts... do not go snorkeling with this headlamp!! With a true IPX68 rating yes the headlamp should be able to handle being worn while your face was in the water for 15 minutes or so but it is not a true IPX6 rating.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree. These Chinese companies constantly lie and/or exaggerate their specs. Just like how half of the companies(including Nitecore) say they use Type III "Military grade" anodizing but, it clearly isnt and chips easily unlike the real deal. Its unfortunate but, you cant really trust what Chinese companies say in their specs(there are exceptions). You have to buy a North American or European product to get true specs it seams for the most part.

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
It means I've had several nitecore lights including the HC90 and they are not waterproof. There is no accountability.

To go from a IPX5 to a IPX8 in nitecore terms means to diligently go thru the literature on the box and change the numeral "5" to a numeral "8."

A quality job of increasing the IPX rating means that you consistently have the numbers matching on your website.
A cheap job means you only changed some of the numerals in your literature.

Think of it like the Sony Xperia "Z" line of "waterproof" phones with a waterproof rating of "IPX68." They now finally no longer have that rating despite the fact that the "waterproofness" has actually increased a bit in their last model jump from the z3 to the z5.
The crazy part, some reputable reviewers who must know that (because they tell us that in their reviews) express disappointment in the phone because it is no longer rated IPX68 (it still has that rating here in Malaysia; but once again that has nothing to do with water ingress - that's about bribes) despite the fact in outside testing it has improved a bit. It's just it was never close to IPX68.

The important point to the original poster (or anyone else considering this light) is YES! Trust your instincts... do not go snorkeling with this headlamp!! With a true IPX68 rating yes the headlamp should be able to handle being worn while your face was in the water for 15 minutes or so but it is not a true IPX6 rating.

Thank you for replying. I new there was a reason.

it seems like many manufacturers stretch the numbers. It is great that CPF exists to help separate the truth and fiction.

Bob