Nitecore MH10/MH12: micro usb, XM-L2(U2) led, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
User-friendly lights: that is what these ones are made for. Everywhere to charge, easy to operate, and just enough, well-spaced modes. The output specs are the same, only there are some slight differences in shape. Which one of these will be the favorite? Let's have a look at both lights and compare them also the some competitors.

recent released Multitask Hybrid-series members
1216gm0.jpg

powered by XM-L2 (U2) leds
33oo4er.jpg

in "normal" and tactical version
k1b310.jpg

As usual, the (manufacturer) specs to start with:

Features:

·Utilizes a CREE XM-L2 U2 LED
·Maximum output of up to 1000 lumens
·Integrated "Precision Digital Optics Technology" provides extreme reflector
performance
·Boasts a peak beam intensity of 13,500 cd and a throw distance of up to 232
meters
·Innovative single button offers access to four brightness levels and three special
modes (MH10)
· Mode switch offers access to four brightness levels and three special modes (MH12)
·High efficiency constant current circuit provides max runtime of 520 hours
·Integrated power indicator light displays remaining battery power (patented)
·Power indicator's secondary function displays battery voltage (accurate to 0.1V)
·Charging module with a micro USB port charges Li-ion batteries rapidly
· Features intelligent memory effect (except for SOS and location beacon modes)
· High-efficiency regulation circuit provides unwavering output
· Stainless steel clip included
·Direct access to ultra-low output
·Reverse polarity protection prevents damage from incorrectly inserted batteries
·Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy with HAIII military grade
hard-anodized finish
· Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
·Waterproof in accordance to IPX-8 (two meters submersible)
·Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
·Tail stand capability

And the output and runtime specs:

29yqs8z.jpg

Unboxing:

As usual, the nice, colorful carton boxes here. Mentioned on it the most important specs, the contents and some "task-pictures", situations where to use the lights. As always, you have to open this cartons carefully: because of the long flap the risk of a ruptured carton will be high. Scroll down to see what's in the boxes….

difference in prints: clear to see the MH12 is meant for tactical use
oi61x.jpg

almost the same… but the MH12 comes with tactical ring, spare button and high capacity cell
15wnmdz.jpg

Impressions:

Well-machined lights with excellent anodizing and engraving. The leds are perfect centered and the reflectors are clean. Personally, I wouldn't mention a recycle bin on the light, it's better to write this in the manual and package only. As expected, the shape of the lights are almost equal, except the tails, because of the MH12's clicky. Inside the lights it looks all ok: Nitecore is very good in machining are lubing threads: they run very smooth. I ask me how long the usb-covers will last, it looks that's the only week point. Overall, first impressions are good…take a look at the pictures for more details!

user friendly, high-output EDC's
j80fmd.jpg

the "normal" and the tactical version
2yoe6mt.jpg

easy to carry: MH12 is slightly longer
bgeqes.jpg

powered by the same XM-L2 (U2) led
24nfygg.jpg

the (tactical) MH12 at the right
jhubk8.jpg

easy and almost everywhere to charge
1zy9fy9.jpg

a closer look at the micro-usb port. How long will the cover last….?
332o5j4.jpg

power options: CR123A or 18650 cells. Only 18650 cells can be charged inside
al6m3l.jpg

good job on anodizing and engraving
2i6oz9v.jpg

a look inside the heads. The threads are well greased

122m0q0.jpg

the (different) tailcaps, because of MH12's clicky
w02jvo.jpg

with added tactical ring MH12 doesn't fit in the holster
2rzv4bb.jpg

sturdy clips and added lanyards. Clips can be added reversed too
hsndkx.jpg

a lot of power sources possible…
246ucsn.jpg

simply insert the usb-jack
a2arfq.jpg

and charge the lights for example in your car. The blue indicator informs about the progress
2a79cia.jpg

User interface:

At first, about charging the lights: that's different. With MH10, simply insert the jack in the micro-usb port and the light will start charging until the blue light in the mode button goes off. If you do the same with MH12, the light will not charge: first you have to click the tailbutton before charging. Read your manual J Charging works without problems, but will be faster if you charge the cells in an external charger. When the battery capacity is below 50%, the blue indicator will blink once every 2 seconds. If critical, it will blink rapidly.
Both lights do have different interfaces. Let's start with the simpliest, the MH10: one button for all… A short press for on/off. When on, press and hold for cycling through modes: Lower > Low > Medium > High. When off, press and hold for instant Lower. Handy feature, that I really like! Quick press twice to enter Strobe mode. After that, press and hold to cycle through the special modes: SOS > Location Beacon > (again) Strobe. Only memory for the main-modes, not for the special.
The MH12 has a tailclicky for on/off and momentary. Cycle through the modes by pressing the mode-button. Modes are the same as MH10. Press and hold (while on) the mode button for special mode, starting with strobe. Press and hold to cycle through. MH12 has memory for special modes. Personally, I prefer the MH12 interface.
Both lights do have an integrated power level indication: After installing the batteries, the blue mode button will blink several times to show actual voltage. MH12 can show this without taking out and back in the batteries: press and hold the mode button and after that the tailbutton together.

Modes:

Both lights have four main-modes: Lower > Low > Medium > High. Because the lights have a real moonlight mode (good job), there a rather big "jumps" to higher modes. (1-70-240-1000 lumens). But still usable. As usual, Nitecore comes with more special modes too: Strobe > SOS > Location Beacon. Enough for most users, I think. So, good job on modes here.

Size comparison:

The Nitecores side by side here, and also compared to some other usb-rechargeables in the same lumen-class: the Lumintop EDC21 and the Klarus RS11

Nitecore MH10, Nitecore MH12, Lumintop EDC21 and Klarus RS11
29x7vk6.jpg

15yhthl.jpg

qp0arq.jpg

4 x XM-L2 (U2) led
ve9gs7.jpg

the tails
5akqcw.jpg

Tint:

Using the same leds, but difference in tint: my MH12 has a warmer, little greenish tint. Clearly to see at the wallshot I made. Also against the Lumintop EDC21, that has a little bluish tint.

nfl1yu.jpg

Beamprofile:

Nice beams here, well-suited for the tasks this lights are made for. A rather big hotspot and also usable spill. Because of the smooth reflectors the lights have decent throw.

Beamshots:

At first, the lights projected on a white wall to show their beamprofiles.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
s63i2v.jpg

2ih9q4w.jpg

344a935.jpg

103vbxt.jpg

animation picture
2an3nq.jpg

Going outside now…..At first, the four output modes of both lights. After that, an animated comparison each other, after that a shootout to the Lumintop EDC21 and the Klarus RS11.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
2efrsiu.jpg

11txtv5.jpg

jhgh34.jpg

20qe3r4.jpg

bjcxvb.jpg

2gu9xz6.jpg

2ahy73l.jpg

5yeuef.jpg

animation picture
voykr7.jpg

the MH10 against the Lumintop EDC21
1zml5pc.jpg

the MH12 against the Klarus RS11
15g3yix.jpg

Conclusion:

The MH10 and MH12 are good, user-friendly multitask-lights. Easy to carry and charge and (because of the included 18650 cell) ready to use. Good choice for people who need only one all-round light, as spare light in your car, barn or something like that. Because of the steady tailstanding a handy light for reading or marking too. They are well machined, finished and lubed and can last for many years. Nitecore produces complete, thought-out lights. Personally, I'd go for the MH12: although is little bigger, I prefer the interface by a clicky and mode selection via side-button. It has momentary too over the MH10. My MH10 has a better tint, but that may be different on other batches / lights. I hope the usb-cover will last for longer time. Overall, I can recommend this lights, but in future I would have it with magnetic tailcaps!

Nitecore MH10 and MH12 provided for review

Last edited:

desmobob

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review. I received a new MH10 in the mail today. It's a gift for non-flashaholic friend. I got her sister the Fenix UC30 a week ago... I'm anxious to see how the MH10 compares.

Take it easy,
Bob

Nighted

Newly Enlightened
Incredible review! I wish more reviews had outdoor shots like this one. Really nice photos that show what the light is capable of.

ikaramazov

Newly Enlightened
great light but it becomes a little warm if you run it on its highest setting for any length of time. Practically speaking the middle 2 settings are the ones we find ourselves using most.

kj75

Enlightened
great light but it becomes a little warm if you run it on its highest setting for any length of time. Practically speaking the middle 2 settings are the ones we find ourselves using most.

Yes, and IMO are lights like these not designed to run a long time a highest mode. I always use turbo for short time.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review:thumbsup:

You should try the MH20/MH20-NW as well. Similar output and throw(wider spill, tighter hotspot) as well as quite a few extra features(thermal regulation, button beacon, RCR123 support, one extra output mode, and added functionality with the 2-stage switch) all in a much smaller, more pocketable, package(albeit larger diameter bezel). I have the NW and it is a nice light.

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
Nice review:thumbsup:

You should try the MH20/MH20-NW as well. I have the NW and it is a nice light.

Thanks, an yes, I did already :) only the CW-version.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...b-1x18650-max-1000-lumens-(beam)shots-compare

Still one of my favorite little 18650-lights.

and added functionality with the 2-stage switch)

The switch is 3-stage! Example: half press for instant-low, medium press for on in last memorized, and deep press for instant turbo.

I still can't believe why this nice UI can be found at later Nitecores....

indigon

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review, nice pics! :thumbsup:

The MH12 is a great light.. -A couple simple tips for the MH12..

1) If you line up the clip with the mode button, it's easier to find button by feel.
2) You can *carefully* bevel trim the rubber USB cover opening nipple
with a razor blade or small scissor, prevents cover from accidentally opening.

Last edited: