Nitecore P12 Quality

MedicWayne

Newly Enlightened
I have a SureFire E2D LED Defender and a Fenix PD35. I love both and use them regularly both on and off shift.

My questing is this: Is the quality and reliability of the Nitecore P12 worth it? Is it indeed reliable? My SureFire stays in my car ready to go. My Fenix is my duty light on night shifts and I'm looking for a light to stay in my EDC bag. I would probably rotate it with the Fenix every rotation.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
I would say stay where you're at and just get another SF or Fenix. Also, have a look at Malkoff if quality and reliability is what you're after.

:welcome:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a P12 but my MH25 is 3+ years old and quite a few drops which shows and still works fine

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Its always a tough one to call, some will have no issues, others fail within a few days or a week and that can go for pretty much any light. Some lights/manufacturers stand out from the crowd when life/death situations are wanted to be covered by confidence. As mentioned malkoff is one of them, would check out there for maybe MDC lights for the smaller options. As you have the CW fenix, i would maybe look at the neutral flavours from malkoff........................easier on the eye and for EDC type uses a great option.

If you like surefire, maybe a 6p for a host(just 1 example of many options) and a nice drop in to feed it. 16650 size cells work well to save on the cr123 potential costs( depending on use, maybe a better option if its going to be stored for long periods with not that much use!) . If regular use, the 16650 will be the cheaper option.

:welcome:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
From experience, you cannot beat the Thorfire VG15 for quality,prefer it over my PD35 and it was a 1/5th of the price.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I would also look at the Thrunite TN12 2016 or TC12 as you can get them both in neutral white. The tint is definitely better than the PD35 and can help with your line of work as well.

mjpgolf1

Newly Enlightened
I'm no expert but I do own a Nitecore P12 2015 edition and it's been a great light. Good mix of flood and throw and always works when I need it. Of course the Fenix is also a great option, as is the Surefire, however they are more money, especially the Surefire. If you just want something to throw in your edc bag then the Nitecore should be a great option for you. I use mine at night when I'm taking my dog out mostly as I have about 25 smaller edc sized lights that get daily pocket use. But it puts out lots of light on turbo. The only complaint I've heard is that the mode spacing isn't ideal for most serious light guys, but that isn't something that has, or will, ever bothered me. For the money it's a great light.

On on a side note the Thrunite TN12 gets some great reviews as well. I don't own one but it was between the Thrunite, the Nitecore, and the Fenix when I bought my Nitecore.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
P12GT is the best of the P12 line. It is the only thermally regulated P12 and the build quality is a nudge better than the others. It is not going to put out the awesome close range beam the PD35 does but its still very nice. The P12's voltage readout feature is great to have. TN12 is an awesome budget light that technically I believe puts out more max output than any other light in the class...I think. There is the Thrunite TC12 which is an XP-L micro USB rechargeable TN12. Tons to choose from in this category. But having all of them I actually tend to prefer my NW MH20. The tint is very well done and the beam is out standing.