Nitelab Launches ther new emitter: UHi LED (Ultra High Intensity)

Budda

Enlightened
New LED manufacturer Nitelab is set to release their first LED, featuring a new technology, the UHi LED (UHi Stands for Ultra High Intensity).
From what I've been told, their UHi LED has an ultra mini design (hence the name) measuring only 2.26 mm2, 41% less than other LEDs with similar power on average; and for its light density.
Comparing to classical LEDs of simliar power, the UHi20 is able to produce 876 lumen/mm2, 43% higher led density against other LEDs, that on average perform around 611 lumen/mm2.

According to the manufacturer, not only the LES (light emitting surface) of the UHi is smaller and more efficient than traditional LEDs, but is also round. The round shape allows for a more precise and efficient focalisation of the beam with a reflector.
In practical terms, with the UHi LED the max peak intensity of the beam of a flashlight is 42% higher than the one of a conventional LED; being able to perform around 50% of a LEP flashlight.

I have always been passionate in thrower flashlights since the beginning of my flashaholic journey, so I can say that I'm very happy that after years of the LED segment being dominated (LEP and Hi version emitters aside) by lights that are more or less of the flood type, we finally could have a revamp in the thrower (especially the pocket throwers) department.
I can't wait to put my hands on one of the light featuring this LED, and see how it performs in one of my reviews.

Attachments

• UHI_Intro_EN_1.jpg
    UHI_Intro_EN_1.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 96
  • UHI_Intro_EN_3(1).jpg
    UHI_Intro_EN_3(1).jpg
    247 KB · Views: 103
  • UHI_Intro_EN_4.jpg
    UHI_Intro_EN_4.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 108
  • UHI_Intro_EN_5.jpg
    UHI_Intro_EN_5.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 112

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stated performance is very similar to the Osram and Luminous LEDs that have been on the market for years. There are many flashlights available on the market using these LEDs and they are also used frequently in modded flashlights.

These round LEDs look very similar to the round Chinese LEDs that have become available in the last few years. Their performance has been tested and they are certainly no revolution.

What manufacturers fail to see is that the main benefit of round die LEDs can only really be seen in projection applications i.e. flashlights with aspheric lenses. When using a reflector only the corona outside the hotspot is changed in any meaningful way by a round die LED. The actual usefulness of the flashlight is not influenced by this.

To summarize: I'm not seeing anything new here.

Last edited: