Status
Not open for further replies.

RailLight

Newly Enlightened
confused.gif

Carl Theile

Newly Enlightened
Don (McGizmo)
Excellent point. I think you are telling me that the Surefire puts out 60 Lumens and the LS puts out 5. Is that correct? Unfortunately, initial quantity will be too low to fund (or underwrite) development. That may change, but not in 2003. There will be extensive (field) testing and time required to compile results (and get a reaction).

Peter-
I am beginning to think two lights and a bunch of spare batteries is where I am headed....

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Originally posted by Carl Theile:
OK, so CNC Dan got me thinking. Just how many of you "flashaholics" admit to being accomplished in wilderness survival skills? By accomplished, I mean have both "classroom" and practical application experience.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It would be nice to have these skills.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
I am accomplished in wilderness survival skills; having grown up a farming/country boy, been formally taught, and practiced some of these skills for more than the past 20 years.

Have I had to apply these skills in a survival situation? No. Proper planning has prevented this thus far. But these skills have helped me through numerous hurricanes (Fran and Bertha namely, I grew up in coastal NC), a surprise snow storm at 11,000 feet in CO, and a few other outings that Mr. Murphy decided to join us on.

And let's not confuse "survivalist" with people that are prepared for not-so-pleasant circumstances. I don't have cases of MRE's in the basement, nor an AR-15 loaded, waiting for black helicopters to land on my property. It boils down to being mentally prepared in the event something goes wrong, and being able to work in less than ideal conditions with what you have, until those conditions become more favorable for you.

-Chris

Carl Theile

Newly Enlightened
Tomas-
Elegance is for the movies ...that you were effective is all that counts.

Afterimage-
Your "generalization" makes sense to me.

David (W4DIZ)-
There are good schools available to civilians that include practical application. I'll post a site or two in a bit.

Chris (saunterer)
"having grown up a farming/country boy, been formally taught, and practiced some of these skills for more than the past 20 years"...We may have much in common.

And I agree with your definition of survivalist. Rations and arms alone do not suffice in a quest to prevail. The biggest single component of any PSK is what is in your head (and what is not).

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Vote to move this to the Cafe or other, since topic has varied a little.

Carl - What we might have in common, is common sense. You know how those country folks are.

I've reviewed your PSK list and would like to know if you would like some input on it. Add some things, remove some things, change some items. I'll e-mail you (your profile's address) if you'd be interested. Not saying that what you have complied is inadequate, but maybe a fresh set of eyes to look over it.

- Chris

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I have to say this is one of the best I have read on the subject.

Darell

Flashaholic
I know the thread started with a request for no fancy jargon - just the perfect light for your needs. But it has quickly become obvious that there is no such "perfect light." What you're after, I believe, is a light that as yet doesn't actually exist. To meet your initial, simple requirements of bright, long-running, and durable - what you need is a dimmable 2x123 1W LS. Oops, there I went with the jargon - but nothing too arcane, I hope.

With the battery capacity of 2x123 cells, the brightness of a spec-driven 1W Luxeon and the long-running ability of dimming the Luxeon to the level of an Arc AAA - all in the form factor of Minimag - I think you'd have a perfect survival light. Of course, the A2 is going to come pretty close to this ideal. But for my survival money, I want 100% solid-state (no bulb to break).

We are getting to the point now with these insanely bright lights, that they can only be useful for short bursts (due to heat and/or battery consumption considerations). Which is great for many applications like military and law enforecement. But for survival, we need a way to dim these monsters. My typical use for a survival light would be almost all low-level lighting, with the rare full-power blast for picking out the meanies in the jungle.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Originally posted by Carl Theile:
OK, so CNC Dan got me thinking. Just how many of you "flashaholics" admit to being accomplished in wilderness survival skills? By accomplished, I mean have both "classroom" and practical application experience.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi, I am David, I attended SERE and I am a Flashaholic. I attended SERE in early Feb. in northern Maine. Cold Weather Survival School in early Feb., again in Maine. I put the month down because I did not know what cold was until going through that. The high temp the week I was there was 12F and well below 0F at night and there were no tents or other niceties. It was the hardest and worst abuse of anything I have ever done as well as the best school I ever attended. I attended Navy Survival School in Pensacola Florida as well as various Marine Corps Schools for tactics and survival. I am by no means an expert and I have no desire to test my skills and have not done so in several years. I like warm beds and hot showers, My current idea of roughing it is having to use a climbing stand instead of a heated blind when deer hunting and staying in a Motel instead of Hotel. I am old fat and lazy. (Got out in 1996)

With all that being said...
It sounds like this light could very well be used in a tactical environment. The last thing I would want in an evasion or stealth environment is a 15+ lumen light, it would NEVER be turned on. Detection by the bad guys and loss of night vision is of far greater concern than seeing where I am going. Marines and others regularly train in cross-country land navigation using no light and just a tritium compass. They do this in no moon as well as full moon environments. My classmates I and I did this prior to flight school in thick forest and no eye protection was allowed, that's another story. The ARC AAA is as much light as I would dare employ and I would want a lens cover for an even lower output. If needed to help locate your buddies I would include a set of "Ranger Eyes" in the pack. I suspect the AAA would reflect off those at 50+ yards. In the low threat scenario it provides sufficient light to safely hump out of where ever. You could pack the ARC AAA in a small cordura knife pouch with 2 extra batteries, a set of ranger eyes and 10 feet of paracord. With just those basic items a young fire breathing Marine Lance Corporal could set up an ambush and take out a platoon of badguys. If he had his K-Bar with him, he could eliminate a whole company. I have enjoyed reading the entire thread and hope we have more like it.

Semper-Fi
David

Harrkev

Enlightened
Originally posted by Afterimage:
I could get seriously flamed for this but I suspect that flashaholism is often just one symptom of a wider syndrome. At the risk of over-generalization, I think flashaholics have a greater than average tendancy to think about disaster preparedness, more likely to be campers, and more likely to be fascinated by other "survival gear" such as knives, compasses, etc. Perhaps even weapons.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I resemble that remark!
grin.gif

I have to formal training (military or otherwise), but I would like to try to be prepared in the event of a hurricane (alway a threat where I live). I also love GPS receivers, compasses (and orienteering), and like to camp.

Carl Theile

Newly Enlightened
Chris (saunterer)-
Input is always welcome. Move this to whatever thread is most appropriate. As to "country folk", I've been living off of the land since I was six (1949). I thought survival training a joke on the first pass through because it was all just "common sense" to me. I've since learned that I had much to learn and "common sense" wasn't quite as common as I thought. Still, being a country boy gave me significant advantages I still enjoy.

Inverse Square-
I'm glad to have been a part of that. I really love talking to folks that are a whole lot smarter than I and can talk down to my level without rubbing my nose in it.

darell-
You are right on the money.

Carl Theile

Newly Enlightened
David (DieselDave)
Straight talk, good walk. Ranger eyes are already in the pack (omitted because I was unsure others would know what the hell they were). I got half out long ago, but never got the other half out. I guess its just the "been there done that" feel in my crowd that keeps me close.

Right on about the bright (15 Lumen) light, but all situations are not tactical- some are medical and some are high-angle rescue. We need to cover a lot of bases. I like your tag line: "Never confuse effort with results."

logicnerd411-
(Chuckle) not hardly. We've gone to a tactical vest.

Carl Theile

Newly Enlightened
They are small pieces of reflective material usually sewn on back of the helmet cover about 1 inch apart. Otherwise known as cat eyes. They are also seen on other gear- usually head gear. Their simplest purpose is location of the guy ahead of you.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by saunterer:
BTW, Darell always seems to be on the money. I wish I had money to be on....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you pay REAL close attention, you'll probably notice that I'm usually perched on somebody ELSE'S money.
grin.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
no formal training.
I do spend a bit of time in the woods localy and wouldn't hesatate to go for a long walk at night.
I have good improvising skills, and I noticed the spectra in your list. Nature sucks at providing cord/string like stuff. Vines just don't cut it.

And the diareha med. is good too, I hadn't thought of that. Don't want to waste your good water with the hershey squrts.

Status
Not open for further replies.