No krypton bulbs anymore, just xenon?

Aalsen

Newly Enlightened
So, my car is at the autoshop for repairs. It was going cost me $2200. Then they sendt me a new estimate for $5100. There was something more that needed to be fixed. I don't have that kind of money just to grab out of my pocket.

After swearing a lot after i hung up i turned to ebay and spent $800 on maglite stuff (5D, AA spectrum warm white, pink AA breastcancer version and a bunch/big pile of spare parts to my D and AA mags. I also bougt two used maglites from Norways version of reddit (4D and my third 3D).

My question/observation is that the old krypton bulbs are obsolete? There is just xenon now? My 3D and in near future 4D are using the old and round krypton bulbs, while my 5D and 6D are using xenon. Both enay and amazon are out of the old krypton bulbs, and newer mags are sold with xenon.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
plenty of kpr (krypton) bulbs still out there.
some have k prefixes instead.
like k2 k3 ect.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag started phasing out krypton PR bulbs in favor of xenon bi-pins almost a decade ago. You can still find new old stock kryptons, but the ones to get are the xenon PR base bulbs which Mag offered as an upgrade to the krypton PR bulbs. The new xenon bi-pins are not as good as the old PR xenons as they are very hard to get them centered to throw a good beam and may be too long to work properly in the old no letter prefix serial Mags..

bykfixer

Flashaholic
type KPR 103 for your 3D and KPR 113 for your 4D light in your favorite search engine.
The 103 is a 3.6 volt krypton and the 113 is a 4.8 volt krypton that are shaped like the Maglite bulb globe was and are readily available.

Aalsen

Newly Enlightened
type KPR 103 for your 3D and KPR 113 for your 4D light in your favorite search engine.
The 103 is a 3.6 volt krypton and the 113 is a 4.8 volt krypton that are shaped like the Maglite bulb globe was and are readily available.
Nice, thanks! I've ordered a bunch of those maglite retrofit packs because i wanted to have spare bulbs. Nice to see that i can buy just the bulbs. Now i have a lifetime of supplies with retrofit parts for bulbs, i don't really need more of those.

What about spare bulbs for the 5D and 6D? Those are xenon, the one with two pins on it. I tried sesrching for kpr123, but no..

Aalsen

Newly Enlightened
Ok, but what kind of xenon bulb does 5 and 6 cell mags use? 6 volts and 7.2 volts xenon bulbs? I get a lot of different stuff when i search. How do i find the right ones?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Think 1.2 volts per battery.
It has been written here they have around 1.5 volts while sitting idle and when you hit the on switch around 1.2 volts per battery flows to the light bulbs.
Alkaline batteries sag under load.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline batteries sag under load.
That's true.
In fact every single battery voltage drops under load.
Amount of voltage drop depends on battery chemistry, current capability, battery capacity, state of charge, battery life, current of load, ambient temperature and ....

Aalsen

Newly Enlightened
Regarding xenon bulbs, those with pins, do i have to buy the package with retro fit parts just to get one bulb? It's $7… For one little bulb… I can't find anybody that sells just the bulbs.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you can't buy just the bulb. And $7 for a good bulb is cheap. If you check on eBay for Tads customs he sells bulbs that will fit in that adapter meant for two li ion batteries or six rechargeables. 7.2v 1.2A so a bit brighter than the mag bulb. 5 for $20 USD. Plus I think $5 shipping. They're supposed to be good. I just ordered 5

junkman

Newly Enlightened
What about spare bulbs for the 5D and 6D? Those are xenon, the one with two pins on it. I tried sesrching for kpr123, but no..
The normal old style flashlight PR bulb Krypton bulb numbers are these
2 Cell - KPR102 - 2.4V - 1.7 Watts - 17 Lumen
3 Cell - KPR103 - 3.6V - 2.7 Watts - 34 Lumen
4 Cell - KPR113 - 4.8V - 3.6 Watts - 51 Lumen
5 Cell - KPR112 - 6.0V - 4.5 Watts - 75 Lumen
6 Cell - KPR118 - 7.2V - 5.4 Watts - 100 Lumen
7 Cell - KPR120 - 12.0V - 8.4 Watts - 151 Lumen (calculated)
You can find these ebay and I am 99% sure you can remove the adapter thing in the new bi-pin mag D maglights and use the old style bulb.
I got this info from this CF post
The generic bulbs are not quite as bright as real Mag bulbs but the are readily available for cheap online.

Last edited: