Novatac 120P Pulsing Problem

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
for those of you expiriancing the flickering problems. Are any of you getting the problem between the levels of 16 (15 lumens) and the highest one (85 or 120 lumens) i only ask because if i get one i would not even program it to go lower than 15 lumens, as i have no use for any thing below that. If there is no pulsing below that, ill feel much better about possibly buying one.
Mine only flickered on one level (10 lumens), but one of reasons I wanted this light, was exactly for it's ability to be programmed for super low light levels, so for me it was important to have those levels operate flicker free.

I just got the word from Jim at NovaTac that my replacement light shipped yesterday (yea!), and that he was able to match the tint very closely with my original light (which was about as perfect a tint as I've seen), so I can't wait to get my new light, hopefully by tomorrow, or Monday at the latest.

travlingtexanman

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks for the info i feel much better about getting it. I probably wont use the last 3 levels, so Even if mine flickers, ill wont feel too bad about getting it. We will see how i feel after I play with it for a bit. This is my first non maglight light, so i may decide i like the lower levels.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
travlingtexanman,Also bear in mind the lifetime warranty! and it does not happen on all Novatacs.you have nothing to loose. If your not happy with something Novatac will put it right.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've found the lower levels great for getting around the house late at night, checking the menu at restaurants with low lighting, during camping trips, at the movies..

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
travlingtexanman,
Well..... I've got a feeling you're going seriously like this light as an EDC. Be sure and download the manual from the NovaTac website while you are waiting for it to arrive. That way you can spend a little time becoming familiar with all of the neat features the light has.

However, don't expect to necessarily understand all of what the manual is talking about with the sequences of clicks and presses etc, just try to get a feel for the general concepts being used, because once you actually have the light in hand, it will all make sense, as the UI is quite intuitive, and easy to use after only a few minutes.

And, I'd be willing to bet that once you have the opportunity to use the low light levels while doing something up close in an already darkened environment that you will be wondering how you ever lived with out it, ha.

travlingtexanman

Newly Enlightened
travlingtexanman,
Be sure and download the manual from the NovaTac website while you are waiting for it to arrive. That way you can spend a little time becoming familiar with all of the neat features the light has.

:eek: I kinda already read the manual 5 times. I think ive almost got the menus memorized. :eek: I guess I am kinda excited about getting it.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: I kinda already read the manual 5 times. I think ive almost got the menus memorized. :eek: I guess I am kinda excited about getting it.
Lol, well....... you should be! It's very cool. I just saw in another thread where you will be picking this up a Lighthound tomorrow. Have fun. It will be interesting to see if you can get out of there with only 2-3 lights, ha. We expect a full report :)

travlingtexanman

Newly Enlightened
HAHAHAHAHA i have to have some money for school. Ill have to remember to bring cash, not plastic. ill let you know how it is.

faco

Enlightened
I have a 120P 10440 and when going from secondary to Max I had problems with the light ramping up a few times and them it settled to 85 Iumens instead of staying at 120 lumen's.
I actually thought I had pulsing/flickering problems and tried to fix it by soft/factory reseting and the battery-detect reset with no luck.
When I got the 120P I took the Duracell out and put a battery station cell in the light, THIS CELL is the cause of the above problem (cell shows 2.82v). When I put the original Duracell in (this cell also shows 2.8v) it worked fine. I also tried a new Surefire cell and an AW protected rechargeable and the light is working like it should.
Hope it stays that way..............

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have developed some intermittent flickering problems. This coupled with the poor anodizing on the body is compelling me to return it. I am not going to get a new one because I would rather wait for an updated version or wait for the new HDS. I found that using the Novatac and my HDS side by side there was not a whole lot of difference between them so I don't feel like I will be missing out on anything.

JimmyB

Enlightened
Just thought I'd add to my original post about mine flickering/strobing on the low levels. In actual use this has not turned out to be a problem. The flickering is minimal enough that I don't notice it unlesss actually looking for it. Others more sensitive to this kind of thing may be bothered. I still consider it a bug, although one I can easily live with.

I'm not being a NovaTac apologist. I'm just saying I'm satisfied with what I have recieved for my $150. I use the light every day and it has replaced my perfectly functioning U60XRGT.

As we all say....your mileage may vary.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
I believe it would not have seen, if I not had read it here. It arises only if I press the second pre-programmed level through on high and then release the button. It is however hardly observe with first releases not at all only with many repeats. This problem is not so big to send it to Nt for warranty replacement.