Novatac 120P, SF L4, SF L1 cree (RCR123) comparison

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
A lot of people have been asking me for comparisons between the Novatac 120P and the L1 cree on RCR123's so I decided to take a few shots. Threw in the L4 for beam type comparison since most people know this one =)

Camera was a Panasonic DMC-LX1 set to ISO80 and white balance as cloudy on all shots, which gave the most realistic tint that my eye was seeing.

Keep in mind that the Novatac120P was on a full RCR123, L4 was on fresh SF primaries, and L1 was on an 80% or so RCR123. The 120P will be exactly the same whether it's on primaries or RCR's, but the L1 will be brighter using the RCR. This is not a comparison with the L1 on a primary since there's already a lot of those beamshots.

My wall is NOT white, it is slightly beige/tan so it looks slightly yellowish during the day under full sun.

First up, about 2 feet from wall so camera could capture the whole beam:
bigcompare.jpg

Hotspots aimed at painting, about 30 feet away:
bigcomparefar.jpg

Shutter speeds are reported on the left and apply to all pictures in the same row. Lights are listed on the top and apply to all pictures in the same column. 120P max on the left, L4 middle, L1 max on the right.

I'm kind of new to CPF but I've been helped so much on the board with my first few purchases so I felt obliged to give back a little :grin2:

Note: Using an RCR123a in the Surefire L1 is not recommended nor has it proven to be completely safe for the LED. As always, Surefire recommends you only use Surefire CR123a cells in the light. So far I haven't had any problems but do so at your own risk!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Pictures never do justice but the beam on that L1 look pretty impressive. Thanks for the Post!

ideefixe

Newly Enlightened
...and that's from just a lowly 65 lumens light. The L1's hotspot lights up a larger area when projected farther, making it more useful than the other two in this case.

jlomein

Enlightened
The L1 Cree takes RCR123? Where did I miss this information lol...not taking RCR123 was what prevented me from buying the E1L Cree.

Looks like I'm getting an L1 Cree. Thanks for the pictures!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 Cree takes RCR123? Where did I miss this information lol...not taking RCR123 was what prevented me from buying the E1L Cree.
Looks like I'm getting an L1 Cree. Thanks for the pictures!
Read the bottom of the original post:
Note: Using an RCR123a in the Surefire L1 is not recommended nor has it proven to be completely safe for the LED. As always, Surefire recommends you only use Surefire CR123a cells in the light. So far I haven't had any problems but do so at your own risk!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well, it is interesting to see the L1 in conjection with a RCR. It's obviously very bright indeed. Thanks for trying this out and sharing your pics with us. It makes we want to buy and L1 even more now...sigh.