*Now Built* P7 has converted me from incan only to LED - now I need help building one

missionaryman

Enlightened
Re: P7 has converted me from incan only to LED - now I need help building one

ok I'm one step closer, I got a Fivemega 1.25D after all - I never seen gold before and liked it so I went for that instead. It's 1.25D long so I hope it's not too long for the KD 32650.

Now all I need is the mote sink, emitter and battery and we're cooking.
Do I need epoxy to glue the emitter to the heat sink? or is that an optional thing people do just to be diligent?

Norm

Retired Administrator

Do I need epoxy to glue the emitter to the heat sink? or is that an optional thing people do just to be diligent?
Arctic alumina is necessary IMHO.
Norm

Greg G

Enlightened

MissionaryMan, the bottom of those LED's must be electrically insulated from the heatsink. Arctic Alumina will do it, but when you glue the emitter down you don't want to put so much pressure on the emitter that it makes contact with the sink and shorts. What some guys do is put a very thin layer on the emitter first and let it cure, then mix up some more AA and glue the emitter down to the sink.

You want a thin layer, not a thick one.

If the heatsink you get is 100% anodized then it's no problem. Use as much pressure as you ike. The anodizing won't conduct current. On my light I took an anodized heatsink for a Seoul P4 and turned it in my lathe to accpet the P7, so the anodizing was gone where the LED mounted and I had to take care in glueing it down..

HTH.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

MissionaryMan, the bottom of those LED's must be electrically insulated from the heatsink.
I haven't insulated the P7 from the heat sink if you use an anodised heat sink even if you've had to grind off the locating tabs the heat sink itself is still isolated from the mag body by the anodising. My heat sink is positive as I wanted the best possible thermal connection so the AA is as thin as I could make it.
Norm

ambientmind

Enlightened

Sure you can. I've built a 9xAMC7135 before. I'll try a 10xAMC7135 next.

can you take a picture or make a diagram of how to do that? i was thinking of doing the same thing, but not sure how. thanks!!!

Greg G

Enlightened

I haven't insulated the P7 from the heat sink if you use an anodised heat sink even if you've had to grind off the locating tabs the heat sink itself is still isolated from the mag body by the anodising. My heat sink is positive as I wanted the best possible thermal connection so the AA is as thin as I could make it.
Norm

Good point, but I had to turn a few thousandths off the outside of my H22A heatsink, which exposed bare aluminum. It wouldn't go in. So, in my case I had to make sure there was no direct contact between the emiter and the heatsink.

missionaryman

Enlightened

I have got my heatsink on it's way, I bought this one at the bottom of the page and I'm thinking to get this driver from Kaidomain that's built specifically for the P7.

Anyone have any experience with either?

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened

I've used the Litemania/Fenix/Britelumen heatsink, D size. The heatsink slides right into the body and with thermal grease, it keeps it tight. It's a really nicely built heatsink, checkout my other post.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198339

The H22A P7 heatsinks should be out really soon. They are reported to be solid with tabs for self-centering. So far, the moat-sink appears to be the beefiest for thermal transfer.

I ordered the Kai AMC board a few weeks back, seems like it ships from a separate facility, is being built, or is out of stock. I really don't understand when Kai and DX say "in stock" or "ships in 2-3 days", yet when you check on status, days go by before it's even shipped. I ordered on 4/27, still has yet to arrive. If yours doesn't get shipped soon, and you need one, let me know and perhaps I can lend you one till you get yours. Just let me know. *sorry didn't realize you were in Australia, hopefully you get your order sooner than I do*

missionaryman

Enlightened

I've used the Litemania/Fenix/Britelumen heatsink, D size. The heatsink slides right into the body and with thermal grease, it keeps it tight. It's a really nicely built heatsink, checkout my other post.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198339

The H22A P7 heatsinks should be out really soon. They are reported to be solid with tabs for self-centering. So far, the moat-sink appears to be the beefiest for thermal transfer.

I ordered the Kai AMC board a few weeks back, seems like it ships from a separate facility, is being built, or is out of stock. I really don't understand when Kai and DX say "in stock" or "ships in 2-3 days", yet when you check on status, days go by before it's even shipped. I ordered on 4/27, still has yet to arrive. If yours doesn't get shipped soon, and you need one, let me know and perhaps I can lend you one till you get yours. Just let me know. *sorry didn't realize you were in Australia, hopefully you get your order sooner than I do*

Thanks mate that's real kind of you but I won't impose, I hate it when these sites basically straight out lie to get the sale and then just leave you waiting and waiting forever.

Any time I order from them I just put it on the back burner and try not to even think about it for a month. Then usually I only need to wait another month before I see the goods.

I wanted to get the mote sink but I don't think they're available any more because Wayne's falt out making P7 lights himself.
I hope the one I got will do ok

shakeylegs

Enlightened

can you take a picture or make a diagram of how to do that? i was thinking of doing the same thing, but not sure how. thanks!!!

Stefan has a nice thread showing a m@g mod with drivers made from multiple 7135 boards. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195358 Works great! I just put together a 1D P7 utilizing the driver and it blows the doors off of every other led I have. This one is running on 1 18650 until the emolis arrive. "Low" is about the brightness of "high" (not turbo) on my P3D. I didn't like the beam thrown by the stock m@g reflector. Instead, I used the P7 op reflector from DX. It blends the 4 die well and eliminates the donut hole. And, it still throws a massive Wall of Light as far as my Aurora WF600's tight little spot.
If you don't need multiple levels, do a simple direct drive. The ultrafire C2 makes a great pocketable host for a P7 direct drive and is pretty much a direct swap except for bypassing the existing circuit and opening up the reflector a bit. It gets hot quickly so it's best for wow factor and short spurts of use. And beware - once you use the P7, you may loose interest in "R"whatever bins.

M.S

Enlightened

I didn't like the beam thrown by the stock m@g reflector. Instead, I used the P7 op reflector from DX. It blends the 4 die well and eliminates the donut hole. And, it still throws a massive Wall of Light as far as my Aurora WF600's tight little spot.

Do you have beamshots of that? I built 3C P7 M@G yesterday and I don't like the stock or kai mop reflectors. For some reason the MOP does not smoothen the beam enough and it's asymmetrical too...

Edit: It was so cheap that I ordered one straight away... Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that they had those.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened

I'll try to capture one tonight:thinking:

Edit: add beamshots

On the left is the M@g P7 with stock reflector (unfocused enough to exaggerate the artifacts in the beam) - on the right an Ultrafire C2 P7 stock op reflector
MagP7StockReflectorleftC2P7right.jpg

On the left the M@g P7 with stock reflector focused ( artifacts are subtle in the photo but noticeable live) - right is the Ultrafire C2 again
P7MagstockreflectorleftC2P7right.jpg

Left is the M@g P7 with a DX P7 reflector focused (no artifacts visible) - right the C2 P7
MagP7DXReflectorleftC2P7right.jpg

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened

My emoli's from Jim should arrive Sat or Tues. Yippee.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

They (LED) are making progress, but I need a focussable hotspot, more realistic color, and not a flood beam. Still not seeing those features (except with aspheric lens) since LED is a flat, & mounted at bottom of reflector. Still prefer incans. :wave:

missionaryman

Enlightened

They (LED) are making progress, but I need a focussable hotspot, more realistic color, and not a flood beam. Still not seeing those features (except with aspheric lens) since LED is a flat, & mounted at bottom of reflector. Still prefer incans. :wave:

I agree they're not completely there yet and I still love my incans but 700 - 900 LMN for 2.5hrs in a single D cell body is worth owning no matter what your loyalty

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I agree they're not completely there yet and I still love my incans but 700 - 900 LMN for 2.5hrs in a single D cell body is worth owning no matter what your loyalty

Yeah, I can't argue with the benefits of that point....but there are 900 flooded lumens, and 900 focussed lumens. I know long run time is really important for many, and this gives them a great option. I'm never needing more than 30-45 mins for a single runtime....so I just have different priorities. I almost never need to keep my light on continuously when outside, so it lasts a lot longer for me.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

just wondering has anyone tried out 1 of those P7 collimators from litemania.com? http://www.litemania.com/front/php/product.php?product_no=801&main_cate_no=313&display_group=1

I seem to mostly see P7 in mags or with large reflectors...havent seen any using optical lenses yet

Now those look exciting, even if I can't quite understand the text at that link. This gets my attention though! Thanks! :eek:

Latest posts