Nuwai Rebels released; brief Q-100 review w/pics post #37

Niteowl

Enlightened
Re: Nuwai Rebels released

I am not familiar with the Nuwai lights, but that Q100 looks really nice. Any speculation on price point?

Tim

The Q-100 is a descendant of the Q-III introduced late summer of '04 IIRC. At that time it had a Lux-III S-binned star with a wide range of tinting. Reverse clicky, aluminum reflector, plastic lense, standard anodizing. I paid $60 for my first one. They soon leveled out to about $40-$45 and then around $35 on special prices. Battery Junction now has them for $23.

The big selling point was the ease with which they could be modded. It was very popular with many members of CPF well into '05. Swapping stars out were a breeze even for me. I eventually put a TWOH star, glass lense and 20mm IMS reflector in it. Never got around to upgrading the driver, though it would be easy. Had a two stage switch for a short while but went back to a single stage. The IMS gave it nice throw and I still use it at work frequently. I'll drag it home tonight and post a pick.

I bought two more in late '04 and one now has a SSC UVOH star with the stock reflector and has a great warm floody beam. The other sits waiting for something, maybe another SSC.

Rechargeable cells really gave the Q-III a punch, direct driving it I believe.

I really like the way the light feels in my hand. The size/length is just about perfect. It has always been a favorite of mine even as more expensive lights have tried to de-throne it.

As for speculating on the price, I couldn't control myself and ordered one from Nuwai last night. *Price deleted by request*. I've seen a L1T-V2 with the Rebel 80 and was impressed. I look forward to getting this one and checking it out with the larger reflector.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK....So I am at the Nuwai site, and I cannot for the life of me find a place to order direct. :hairpull: How did you order it directly from Nuwai Niteowl???

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Q-As for speculating on the price, I couldn't control myself and ordered one from Nuwai last night. $45 delivered. I've seen a L1T-V2 with the Rebel 80 and was impressed. I look forward to getting this one and checking it out with the larger reflector.

I recently got a couple of them from Battery Junction. In one of them I put a Rebel 0800 star from DX. According to my lightbox about 140lm. That's with the stock driver and a RCR123. The 0100 should be even brighter.

How did you order from the Nuwai site? I don't see a link to do this.

1 what

Enlightened

I asked EliteLED about the Q100 a couple of months ago and they emailed me saying they would be carying them as soon as they were available...I guess now we'll see...Wonder what the $ will be?:popcorn:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

How fortuitous. I left my shabby, worn, beat to there and back Q3 at a customer's and it may be some time before I return to reclaim it. This will be a great upgrade although it will be too new and shiny to operate properly. :crackup:

Just give me a few weeks....

Niteowl

Enlightened

OK....So I am at the Nuwai site, and I cannot for the life of me find a place to order direct. :hairpull: How did you order it directly from Nuwai Niteowl???

Sorry for the :hairpull:, should have mentioned how I ordered. I sent PayPal per Nuwai's e-mail instructions. PM me and I'll give more details, or contact them through their site. I did not get the impression it was a done just for me. I had asked about the Q-100 months ago which is why they e-mailed me.

If it's $** at the Nuwai site, I would think less from a stateside dealer.

Maybe, but don't count on it. Remember, the $** included shipping. I hope it's cheaper stateside as I want to get my father-in-law one of these if it meets my expectations. I want one of these for myself ASAP and don't have the patience to wait for a dealer to get them. It's fun to be one of the first to get something "new".

FYI, the N-1012L was US$**.00/unit per e-mail. I'm waiting for a reply regarding other's questions about the switch, lense, voltage input.

Forgot to drag my old Q-III back for a pic, maybe tomorrow nite.

EDIT 3-5-08:
Nuwai politely asked that I remove the prices from my posts as it was for "first ten trial sale". I was not made aware of that earlier. I do not know what adjusted cost may be.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nuwai operates in slow motion. When we CPFers hear about a light, we want it "right now". :)

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

Tell me about it. I REALLY want a TM-308XR but I have no idea where to find it.

Maybe the Target flashlight clearance will keep me occupied until I can buy a Nuwai. :(

Niteowl

Enlightened

I recieved an e-mail from Nuwai that the Q-100 had shipped Tuesday, via EMS.

Tracking shows;

"Status: Inbound Out of Customs
Your item cleared United States Customs at 3:28 PM on March 12, 2008."

I should have it by Friday.

I am waiting for answers regarding lens type, switch action, and driver specs. I suspect I may receive the light before I have the answers. I did not ask what dealers might carry the new lights. I will add that to my list.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wrote them an email concerning a direct purchase when I received the info from you on 3/5, and have not received a reply yet. Guess I'll wait till it arrives in the States.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

I just got an email with a direct order form for the 100/1012. I think I'll wait until the 308XR comes around. I'm curious to see what the folks that ordered one have to say.

Niteowl

Enlightened

It's here. Some rushed teaser pics. I have to get to work, I'll post comments tonight.

EDIT: less than stellar pics and comments added.

000_2683.jpg

It sure got here quick. Surprised to find it boxed. Simple lift off lid with foam insert. Fairly sturdy velcro belt holster. No cell, basic instructions with "specs".

000_2685.jpg

Side by side you can see the Q-100 is a little shorter, ~3/16"-1/4". Most of the difference is in the head. The lens is not recessed as far, ~1/8" less. The tail cap is perhaps 1/16" shorter. No knurling around the head, it's ~1/16 smaller in diameter. Knurling on body is longer with less tailcap overlap. The clip is attached with screws that require a triangle shaped tip. The finish has a very nice matte.

000_2686-1.jpg

One big difference from the Q-III, is the the switch is recessed. It tailstands nicely but is difficult to activate with thumb while held in fist. There is a gap between the boot and the switch. The boot is flat and lightly checkered. It is a reverse clicky..... It is constructed different with a metal retainer that contacts the bare battery tube end. The battery tube threads are anodized, tailcap threads are bare. There is a plastic ring around the positive contact to prevent reverse polarity.

000_2687-1.jpg

There are three deeper "scallops" in the bezel as opposed to five in the Q-III. With the shallower depth of the bezel, this results in a pronounced shaping of the spill. Lens is plastic.

Sorry, no beamshots for you yet. It is very bright. Walks all over the Q-III as expected. I would take an unscientific guess of ~100-120 lumens maybe. I'm going by a SSC in a Q-III and a Cree P-4 in an M1 (30mm textured reflector). It's hard to tell as the hot spot is larger than the Q-III, but more pronunced. It's a very useful beam pattern for most of my uses. I would think the 200 lumen rating from Nuwai is optimistic emitter lumens.

What I like that stands out;
The appearance- the HA finish is beautiful, seems sleeker. Tailcap/body more balanced. Simply

What I don't like that stands out;
The recessed switch, big time. I couldn't get the metal retaining ring out tonight to check the guts, but I will, and make the switch more thumb friendly if possible. Plastic lens, why? I've got a Q-III mineral glass that I hope fits.

Overall;
I'd have liked it to be brighter (as usual), but it'll do just fine. Once I get the clip off, glass lens in, and re-do the switch, I'll be more than happy. Honestly, I rarely ever get anything just the way I like it and anticipate a little work. But a plastic lens on such a nice light?

As is, I'd give it a 3 out of 5 in satisfaction. It's a keeper.

Last edited:

Niteowl

Enlightened
tint, tint, ......what color is the tint?

Funny you mention that. :)

The next morning I'm looking the light over and realize I didn't commment one one of the major points of an LED light for most folks around here. I thought about that while comparing it to a SSC USVOH in a Q-III and realized it had no remarkable tint that I apparently thought worth mentioning. Silly me.

So now, I have pulled out a half-dozen lights that I'm familiar with and come to the conclusion that it has no tint. It is white, maybe a tiny hint of yellow to it. I only say that comparing it to other tints.

More news to deliver. I got the head and tail apart, via the very hot water, vise and strap wrench method.

Not only is the lens plastic, it appears to be glued onto the outer surface of a ridge that runs on the inside of the bezel. The reflector is no longer threaded in like the Q-III and rests against the inside surface of the ridge. The reflector appeared to be stuck to what ever the Rebel is mounted on, and at this time I choose not to explore futher and did not try to remove it. As a result, I have no idea what the circuitry looks like.

As for the switch, Once the retainer ring was removed there was a wavy copper contact washer I had to remove. It was in pretty snug. I tried to push the switch out but the PCB was very tight. Again, I backed off.

Less important, the clip has different screws that use a triangular recess that I have no bit for and have not seen.

Once I get the clip off, glass lens in, and re-do the switch, I'll be more than happy.

Well, I couldn't do any of that.......

As is, I'd give it a 3 out of 5 in satisfaction. It's a keeper.

I'll still rate it 3 out of 5, but am re-thinking the keeper part largely due to it's plastic lens and lack of ease in modding, for me, at least. I think I'd rather mod one of my Q-III's with a Cree star/reflector or SSC. The Q-100 certainly won't have the impact the Q-III did when it came out in '04. Too many other offerings that meet or beat it's performance.

I've heard the selling point may be ~$40, maybe a little less.

A glued on plastic lens....... :ohgeez: :ohgeez: :ohgeez: