Old School E2E with MN03 & Z52

da.gee

Enlightened
My first incan.

Being a relative youngster to the forum every light I've purchased, and there's been way too many, has been an LED. In the Surefire line I have the E2L, G2L and 6PL. I really wanted to run the E2L on a 17670 and mine wouldn't accept them. So I picked up the E2E in the Marketplace mainly for the body. However, with the MN03, I can see the appeal of this light with a fresh set of primaries. It's darn bright on a new batch and the color is so much different (warmer, more accurate?) with the MN03. Kinda cool or warm as the case may be. I know old news for you people but it kind of surprised that the MN03 was so bright and the color rendition so much different than an LED with a bright incan. I guess it is rated at 60 lumens but I think I was expecting MagLite bright and was a bit taken aback when I saw it.

Does anyone know when the MN03 first showed up in the Surefire line?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you are enjoying the light. I'm not sure when the MN03 first came along, but I would guess it would be sometime in the late 90's when the E2 Executive first appeared. I recommend cleaning the threads with a toothpick and lubing them with nyogel 760G. I'm sorry I didn't have time to do this before mailing it.

da.gee

Enlightened
No worries ampdude. I will get them ship shape. I'm just having fun imagining what this would have been like to a 90's crowd used to much less. I suspect it dims rather quickly but I was surprised at its brightness on full strength. Packaging is cool too.

Yes it does fit the 17670 as you described and I've already played with swapping the parts on my E2L with success. So now I can have my E2L running on 17670 which was my original goal.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2e's are my goto lights. When traveling over seas I always take an E2O with a twisty switch with me. With a fully stocked SC3 (w/MNO3 LA) I have no worries.

An E2d lives in my backpack.

I also have an E2e in my work disaster kit.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Da.gee, you may want to consider an MN02 lamp, also. It seems almost as bright as the MN03, but will keep a whiter tint longer. There may now be better alternatives to the 02. Others more informed about this may post newer info.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect it dims rather quickly

Shouldn't dim quickly, after the initial brightness it should stay fairly constant for a good while. Especially if you use it in bursts to give the batteries time to recover. Primary batteries have about twice the capacity that RCR's do.

da.gee

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips and info all. I do appreciate it.

It is a very small light compared even to the the E2L. The twisty cap and especially the much smaller in length and girth head really make a difference in actual size and feel. It also has little indentations on the tailcap and body so you can line them up at the perfect momentary on spot. The shorty clip is so cute too.

I know you all know this stuff but it's new to me. I have some catching up to do and I'm easily entertained.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to disagree about the MN02 being not much dimmer than the MN03, but yes it runs a long time.

The MN03 runs at 1.25hrs which is usually plenty long enough for my usage. I try to take extra batteries with as well.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I would have to disagree about the MN02 being not much dimmer than the MN03, but yes it runs a long time.

The MN03 runs at 1.25hrs which is usually plenty long enough for my usage. I try to take extra batteries with as well.

From what I've seen, the difference between the MN02 and MN03 is basically half the hot-spot. Spill light is about equal. I still remember the 1st time I fired an E2E with the high-output MN03. So much light coming out of that little package. The light also is just the right size to fit my hand.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to be so disagreeable but have to disagree again, the spill light on the MN02 is much less also. I haven't fired one up in awhile so just to make sure I put an MN02 in another E2E I have and am comparing them side by side.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
Hey those LF LAs look to be great options for the E2E. Either would be really great but the EO is particularly tempting: 90 lumens/70 minutes. Do you think the lumen ratings are accurate?

Tailcaps too. The McTC + McClicky is calling my name.

I'm starting to realize why Surefires are so much fun. Many fun options.

Hey,wait a minute! Here I was just trying to get a 17670 body for my E2L and now look what you're doing to me. Are you guys stockholders?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Sorry to be so disagreeable but have to disagree again, the spill light on the MN02 is much less also. I haven't fired one up in awhile so just to make sure I put an MN02 in another E2E I have and am comparing them side by side.

No need to be sorry. If that's what you're seeing, than tha's what you're seeing. I'm going by memory of over a couple years ago. It wouldn't be the 1st time that my memory has failed me.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey those LF LAs look to be great options for the E2E. Either would be really great but the EO is particularly tempting: 90 lumens/70 minutes. Do you think the lumen ratings are accurate?

Not really. LF measures bulb lumens while SF measures actual output. Multiply the LF measurements by 0.65 to compare to surefire ratings. So its more like 60 lumens for 70 minutes or about the same output and runtime as the surefire lamp assemble but using a rechargeable battery.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
E2e's are my goto lights. When traveling over seas I always take an E2O with a twisty switch with me. With a fully stocked SC3 (w/MNO3 LA) I have no worries.

An E2d lives in my backpack.

I also have an E2e in my work disaster kit.

It is my emergency flashlight in my car. Well, one of them, I also have an Inove X5 for a longer run time. It was my first Surefire, and I like it a lot. I have another body with a Lumens factory 90 lumen bulb and a rechargeable in it that lives in the inner pocket of my parka.