Olight H2R review (Headlamp/right angle, 18650, XHP50)

maukka

Enlightened
Thank you for this very well done review and all of your time. If I end up getting one it will be the NW version, and use Q30's. I am waiting for the M2R to be released.

I'd probably stick to the bundled high drain cells or a VTC6. They seem to be able to access turbo longer than a 30Q.

I did some testing by first discharging 1000 mAh out of some batteries (Bundled Olight, Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, Sanyo GA, BL, LG MH1, Panasonic 18650B) and seeing if they could enable turbo. At the first round every battery was able to run turbo for about 40 sec, but the 18650B did blink once to indicate low voltage.

On the second round after about 20 minutes the 30Q and 18650B weren't able to access turbo anymore. At this time the Sanyo BL and LG MH1 blinked for low voltage.

Just do this to the bundled 3000 mAh Olight and you're good to go.

qMLQTNj.jpg

Zak

Enlightened
I think I like Armytek's version better, even though Olight's driver is more efficient and the charging is faster. Armytek has a better UI and much better thermal regulation. Peak output is lower, but I think sustainable output under most conditions is higher.

All that pales in comparison to the fact that the Wizard isn't prone to exploding in your pocket because Armytek actually does know what a diode is for and no current will flow from the tail contacts.

the Kwan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the cool review it made good reading, about as comprehensive as it gets.

maukka

Enlightened
Update: according to Olight's engineers there's over current protection on the battery at 27 amps. So shorting the tailcap contacts will not damage the battery or the light.

fonfan

Enlightened
What? Permanent battery Voltage on charging contacts and magnet in tailcap - geniusly. Buy R-olight and isolate special R-battery?

howardq99

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! I just picked one up on a lightning deal on Amazon...$76.46 with next day delivery.

Chad Varnadore

Newly Enlightened
Does the H2R get too hot to hold after a while on high (600 lumen) mode, just as if it were on Turbo? Or does it remain cooler, more akin a 400 or lower lumen output? The Armytek gets surprisingly HOT even on Turbo1 (700+ lumens). After about 5 minutes, it's almost too hot to lower the mode without turning it off and letting it cool first, since the clicky is on the side of the head and thus you have to rest your other finger on the opposite side of the head to double click down to standard brightness levels.

maukka

Enlightened
On high, the H2R is still holdable (<46°C) after half an hour in room temperature.

Chad Varnadore

Newly Enlightened
On high, the H2R is still holdable (<46°C) after half an hour in room temperature.

Thanks! I might have to try the H2R too then. I have frequent need to leave it on for 20-30 minutes at a time and the added 240 lumens would be nice for some jobs, if it's not too hot to clip to a shirt like the Armytek gets in it's 700+ lumen mode.

ven

Flashaholic
Great review maukka, thanks as always for your time and effort. I am kind of torn, been weighing a headlamp for ages now and (ZL is out as i can not find one UK side to suit my wants) the NC hc30 and Olight h2r seem to be the front runners( i know get both...........may happen anyway). But ideally one as use would be work mainly. Has to be NW flavour, no cool .......... Not bothered too much on reach, as most uses will be close up or within 10ft. The frosted h2r seems more suitable over the hc30 reflector, but the mode groups look more suitable on the hc30!!! :banghead: The charge option of the h2r also will be handy as it grows old swapping cells out as it is!

Maybe not the usual question here, but will the headband open up enough to fit a hard hat? As thats where it would live most of the time.

:)

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got myself a NW H2R for 59 euros thanks to Amazon flash sale and I must say I am blown away by the quality of the beam. It is simply perfect : smooth spread, no donut, no edge tint shift, perfect medium-wide angle (for a headlamp), and the tint is nothing short of the most neutral, tintless, I have ever seen thus far. Maybe a little warm for some but still far from incan and I absolutely love it.

BTW I have the updated tailcap (voltage is there but no current will flow through it) and the button click is okay (could be stronger but it is there).

On all levels up to medium, this thing will run forever. High will run for more than 2hrs, that is impressive.
After all I think the turbo mode will be the least used, along with SOS.

I am quite freaking pleased with this kit. BTW I believe it could fit on a hard helmet (but can't check I haven't one).

KriegerKrieg

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the Zebralight is a MKII not MKIII it doesn't have the smooth ridge in the middle of the light.

SKV89

Enlightened
Wow such a great informative review. I ordered an Olight H2R and the new Acbeam H150 with XHP70.2. Can't wait to play with it. Originally I was going to go for the new Zebralight XHP50.2 headlamp but from your review and other places I've read, it seems Zebralights are really not that efficient.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow such a great informative review. I ordered an Olight H2R and the new Acbeam H150 with XHP70.2. Can't wait to play with it. Originally I was going to go for the new Zebralight XHP50.2 headlamp but from your review and other places I've read, it seems Zebralights are really not that efficient.

His review was on a model with an older generation emitter which is less efficient. And, it was of a model with much higher CRI emitter which also reduces efficiency. It's apples vs oranges. You have to compare similar models if you want to see the true differences. Zebralight has the most advanced drivers in the industry and they are always among the most efficient.

It should also be noted that you are splitting hairs as the lights from all the brands you are looking at are quite efficient. And, efficiency is only a small part of the picture when selecting a brand or model. Other things like build quality, ruggedness, UI design and flexibility, CRI ratings, Tint, warranty and customer support, size and weight, etc. should be taken into account and I can tell you for certain that ZL is superior to your other two options in most if not all of these areas.

Last edited: