Olight S1 Mini Baton (Post #1 is now updated as review)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight S1 Mini Baton

LOL I don't think you read the original poster's words very carefully. What he said is accurate. Most of the companies you are listing do use separate lenses over optical systems such as reflectors, but not TIR optics, because the TIR optic is a lens. It seals against o-rings exactly the same way that the lens on a reflector does. Really I think Malkoff and OVEREADY might be the only ones with a lens over the TIR optic. But I believe that is largely due to the fact that those are modular "drop in" style lights. Particularly the OVEREADY, which is designed to have the optic and lens be user modifiable. Throw, medium, or flood optic, clear or frosted lens...

You need to read further down in the thread man. All of the companies I listed use a lens over their TIR optics, I even gave examples. In fact it is far more common to use a lens over an acrylic optic then not to in the flashlight industry. I get a laugh from guys like you and Enderman who shoot off their mouth before even doing research:shakehead.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

I have no complaints or arguments!!

I won this light in Olights give away last Friday!

I chose the CW version only because of another review where the photos were not pleasing for the NW CRI90 warmer version.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have no complaints or arguments!!

I won this light in Olights give away last Friday!

I chose the CW version only because of another review where the photos were not pleasing for the NW CRI90 warmer version.

Nice, congrats Capo:thumbsup:. Man you have been luck this year with draws eh:twothumbs.

Enderman

Enlightened

You need to read further down in the thread man. All of the companies I listed use a lens over their TIR optics, I even gave examples. In fact it is far more common to use a lens over an acrylic optic then not to in the flashlight industry. I get a laugh from guys like you and Enderman who shoot off their mouth before even doing research:shakehead.
All the "real" TIR flashlights from led lenser, coast, olight, fenix, etc never use glass in front of the TIR.

Just because an overpriced flashlight manufacturer making $400 flashlights puts a lens in front of their TIR doesn't mean it is magically the correct option.
In fact, the reason they probably put the lens there is because they simply reuse the body from a reflector light, or just make drop-ins, that use a TIR and then need some extra spacing to make it fit properly.

Your examples even involved drop ins, which aren't even a full flashlight, just a conversion fro reflector to LED which obviously will need different spacing, or stuff like the convoy which doesn't have a glass lens in front of the TIR unless you mod it yourself.
LOL it's hilarious how you don't don't even mention the top TIR flashlight brands such as coast or led lenser and instead choose to convince yourself with false information :rolleyes:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe you guys should get a room and have a private conversation

instead of arguing about who said what, about lights that are not the topic of this thread

fwiw, there is no glass lens on the S1 Mini.. thats just the facts

Im looking forward to buying an S1 Min High CRI, hoping for a post xmas sale, as a donor for my Cu S Mini, discussed here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR123-16340)&p=5162774&viewfull=1#post5162774

WDR65

Enlightened

I'm enjoying mine. I ordered the high cri version and have been impressed with the color rendition. I have an H1 nw and I noticed an improvement in what I could see with the hcri mini vs the h1. As for the splotchiness in the beam, I don't notice it outdoors or even anywhere except for directly shining it on light colored walls.

I think I'm going to order another one, these little lights are addictive.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened

I'm enjoying mine. I ordered the high cri version and have been impressed with the color rendition. I have an H1 nw and I noticed an improvement in what I could see with the hcri mini vs the h1. As for the splotchiness in the beam, I don't notice it outdoors or even anywhere except for directly shining it on light colored walls.

I think I'm going to order another one, these little lights are addictive.

In a bit over an hour they have a sale sale going on for the mini. 3 hours only from 0001 to 0300 hours. At the Olight store. Free i3E thrown in with it too I believe. That would be the time to get another.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have so many Olights I have lost count. Sitting on my desk to my right are I think...all the current versions of the S Mini Baton minus the awesome brass one which is my favorite out of them all because it is the heaviest. Lost it somewhere amongst all my other lights. Got the new and to me almost instant classic status Hi CRI S Mini Baton as well a couple weeks ago. Everything but the highest output level looks GREAT! I am pretty impressed. But then double click for max and all the sudden everything looks like really bright yellow and spotty green snot. No biggie really. The just as tiny as the exotic metal S Mini's, Hi CRI S Mini's non max output levels still look great and are very usable.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

they have a sale

in two days, Im tempted... Im guessing eastern standard.
Olight S1 Mini - 30% OFF + 1pcs gift box I3E - Dec.15th 12:00-3:00 AM

$35 is a good price.. I paid $36 for my Copper S Mini.. the beam is ridiculously green in the middle, coming from someone used to Nichias.. but no light is perfect :)
definite photographable constant flicker on the first two levels

24154878927_b5999fe782_b.jpg

38982909572_ee29fa792f_b.jpg

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened

Interesting to know about the flicker...

For whatever it's worth, the acrylic lens and the magnetic tail cap are potential deal breakers for me because I'm thinking about keychain carry, and for me the light transmission losses and the vulnerability to scratches as well as things like sparks and heat remind me why I try so hard to avoid acrylic lenses. A glass lens isn't impossible. Lens light uses them. Very thick. Super sturdy. My life experience with lights, especially those used at work, is that acrylic lenses get scuffed and scratched even just by trying to clean them and they do suffer reduced light transmission when it happens. The magnet is just annoying on the keys when it sucks up other stuff on the keys, or when it sticks to things while you are walking or working, or when it destroys the nice compass you carry on your keys and the compass no longer points north.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Post #1 now updated with my full review of the lights... I'm quite happy with the HCRI despite the initial doubts reading other reviews with negative comments about the beam profile. In actual use, the color rendering is as good as those Nichia 219B R9050 LED.

Below are a few photos for comparisons...
rqFVTuj.jpg

pTjG6pu.jpg

9DjvjPJ.jpg

lwhADCo.jpg

and a collage of selected lights from a group of 30+ photos taken...
7IfjfDr.png

you can access the full album here: https://imgur.com/a/gaXKQ

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the photos, including the control shot, and all the other LEDs

compare the color of the floor tiles and you will see the XP-G3 cannot match the Nichias ability to show Red:
rookiedaddy said:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
hey jon, yup, you are spot-on about the RED tone reproduction of the 90-CRI XP-G3. That is exactly where it is "under-doing" (or "under-performing"). However, as with most warmer tint, the Nichia of 4000K and 4500K are "over-doing" (or "over-performing") the RED tone and practically almost everything else. There is no doubt that the 4000K-4500K tint cast are more pleasing to the eyes but for overall accurate color reproduction, neither has any advantage over the other. :grin2:
from the group, the best color reproduction belongs to the Nichia 183 5000K... a tint-less experience... :kiss:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
To Jon & rookiedaddy, thanks so much for those posts-they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I really appreciate the time it takes to provide control and consistency. The only tech equipment I had that did not have multiple backup redundancy on was my digital camera. When it broke I thought I could meet my needs with the camera on my IPOD 6.....wrong. Since the Four Sevens going out of business clearance sale has taken all of this years and next years budget, I have to hope Santa gives me a new camera....
Anyway, I have a pretty good collection of Olights-the only exception is that after getting every finish in the S1Baton series I did not buy all of "Mini" batons. I just took advantage of their sale and bought a black copper Mini S1. Thanks so much for the review, and Jonathan thanks for the PWM photo- that may have been why I did not jump into the Minis as fast as I usually do...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best color reproduction belongs to the Nichia 183 5000K... a tint-less experience... :kiss:

congrats on your lights!
and thanks for the excellent photos!

Im glad oLight is offering higher CRI options than previous Minis, and also that they are Nichia compatible.

I almost ordered the High Cri, but for now, Im exploring the Low CRI experience of my Cu S Mini..
Coming from full time Nichia carry, the CW is so apalling, I find it comical.
Im amazed what a tint snob I can be, but, no light is perfect and Im loving my copper experience

Im secretly hoping 0Light will follow with a Copper High CRI S Mini... please let them know a Nichia is preferred.

Jonathan thanks for the PWM photo- that may have been why I did not jump into the Minis as fast as I usually do...

well, don't blame me, I bought an S Mini anyway... lol
blame maukka: clic pic for his full review
maukka said:
Possibly visible flicker on moonlight mode
and fwiw, its not really PWM, its actually constant current flicker...

Last edited: