Olight S35 - Review (Picture Heavy)

boboboy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, this is my first review so please tell me what you think of it :)

Specs:

"CREE XM-L LED
More than 590' (180 m) throw
Uses 3 x AA batteries (Included)
Three adjustable brightness levels with a strobe
Rugged aluminum body with anti-scratching type-III Hard=Anodizing
Orange peel reflector
Mil-spec: MIL-STD-810F
Water resistant to IPX-8 standards
Peak Beam Intensity: 8100
Weight (excluding batteries): 6.1 oz (173 g)
Size (L x D): 5" x 1.41" (128 x 36 mm)
Impact Resistance: 3.9 ft (1.2 m)
Includes: batteries, holster, key ring, and diffuser"

Heres some pics of how it looks:

20111005280.jpg

The packaging was pretty simple and nothing much, but still okay!

IMG_1691.jpg

The side of the light compared to a standard Duracell AA Battery.

IMG_1694.jpg

The battery tube with brand new GP ReCyko cells.

IMG_1719.jpg

The end of the battery tube, its made out of plastic but still feels really sturdy!

IMG_1720.jpg

The tailcap is attached to the battery tube, it also has a seal on the inside wich is an O-ring, this makes it very hard to change if necessary.

IMG_1718.jpg

Square threads, and nice grooves on the handle, feels really good in the hand and wont slip even if its wet!

IMG_1704.jpg

Switch and cooling fins, Very nice machining and anodization on this light.
The switch has a nice feel and can be pressed with the pinky finger if held in an overhand position.
IMG_1698.jpg

The S35 has a nice OP reflector and a stainless steel bezel, it also incorporates the "same" red ring around the lens with glow in the dark "beads" As some of the lights in the SR series.

IMG_1716.jpg

OP reflector and the nicely centered XM-L LED.

I found one thing wich i didn't like about this light and that is the dark spot in the middle of the beam (see picture below),
however this can only be seen if you hold it up very close to a surface

IMG_1727.jpg

The light comes with a diffuser, holster and a key ring. The holster is a very nice one with snug fit made out of Neoprene. the diffuser is a frosted piece of glass fastened inside a rubber cap wich fits nicely on the top of the light And the key ring, you all probably know what one of those looks like ;)

Beamshots:

as you can see the dark spot has magically vanished ;)

The shots were taken at max settings on both lights and with fresh, fully charged batteries.

Sunwayman M10R: 4Sevens CR123 3V 1500 mAh.

Olight S35: GP ReCyko 1.2V 2100 mAh.

IMG_1731copy.jpg

IMG_1732copy.jpg

IMG_1733COPY.jpg

IMG_1734copy.jpg

IMG_1735copy.jpg

IMG_1736copy.jpg

IMG_1737copy.jpg

Diffuser shots (S35 only)

IMG_1738copy.jpg

IMG_1739copy.jpg

I am really happy with both of these lights. The S35 is definitely my new favourite! it performs really well for a 3 AA light with good throw/flood.
It's worth getting if you want an 3xAA light, its medium sized and fits easily inside a pocket.

Here is some outdoor shots of the lights, as you requested. the tree/bushes in front of the camera is about 20 meters away.

10seccopy.jpg

10secm10rcopy.jpg

5seccopy.jpg

5secm10rcopy.jpg

1seccopy.jpg

1secm10rcopy.jpg

10secdiffusor.jpg

Thanks for reading, im looking forward to seeing the responses :)

Last edited:

Deal4

Enlightened
Hi boboboy!
Well, you put a ton of work into this and your pictures are very clear with good explanations! This is very good for someone who has posted a number of times, let alone from someone who has only a few posts! :thumbsup:
You obviously know a good bit about your lights, good idea to compare the beam shots with the Sunwayman as they are compareable lights.:)
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I'd love to see any others that you may have done. Very good job!:cool:
I see you are using some AA batteries that I'm not familiar with (GP ReCyko). How do they compare with Sanyo Eneloop? Where did you get them?
If you every get any outdoor beam shots I'd love to see them! Even better if you again compare it with the Sunwayman!
Thanks again! :rock:
Shad

N10

Newly Enlightened
nice review dude!...
on another note how would you compare the build quality to let's say a fenix(if u have any laying around) TK41 which would better be compared to the s65 but anyhow..

boboboy

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately i don't have any Fenix product.....yet ;) will maybe compare it to a fenix if i get one in the future :)

Deal4

Enlightened
Man boboboy, you rock!
I've been away from the computer for a few days, and I come back and you have some great outdoor beamshot! Nicely done!
Thanks for the thread about the batteries too!
Shad