Olight SR96 ?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It practically has just as much throw as the M22, but a couple thousand lumens stronger. I bet if I could somehow attach it to my tripod, it'll light up the soccer field better than the BS Terminator I use now. 2000 vs 4800 lumens, should be interesting.

The 1 meter doesn't matter to me, I don't usually drop lights this big on purpose:D

As much throw as a single 18650 light that is about 1/8 of the size...that doesn't seem like a selling point.

Yes, it is quite bright, 4800 lumens is gonna be bright no matter how you distribute them. But something like the TM26 makes a lot more sense - way smaller, more portable, better throw, plus the OLED display, and all for less money. Sure, the SR96 will be a little brighter, but that hardly seems worth losing throw, a real low, and portability. The proprietary battery pack is also a problem for me, though I know some people will view that as an advantage, I am not one of them.

I have never dropped any of my big lights either, but it is still cause for concern. As expensive as these lights are, I want to know that they will survive a little abuse. The IPX6 rating is more of a concern - you can't even put it in a bowl of water and be confident it will keep working.

Take all these issues together, and I'm back at the same conclusion...I just can't figure out what this light is designed to do. If you have a specific purpose already in mind, that is great - but you have many other choices in this price range which can do a whole lot more.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Olight in general - I have liked every Olight I have purchased, and I do think they are generally a very solid company...but that doesn't mean this particular model makes sense.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its a flood light.

Its designed to flood an area with light. If you are using it to pop the lights on and see an entire field at once, it will do that...if you want to walk the dog for 2 hours, it will do that, but at closer to 2,400 L for about half of that, and at ~ 1,500 Lumens for the rest.

As the beam is obviously a wide angled version....that amount of lumens is very spread out....so, the lux on the ground for that walk at 1,500 L will not be as glaring as normal...as it will be more evenly distributed with less of a hot spot.

There are many types of beams that can be useful in different circumstances. A flood pattern is great for seeing everything in front of you all at once....with the caveat that to GET the width, the length was compromised.

A thrower is great to reach distant targets, but is not great for seeing everything out there at once, as with a tighter beam, you need to sweep it around to take every thing in, and then stitch together a mental image of what was in the beam as it swept around, etc.

If doing a search for example in a forested area, there are no lines of sight over 100 meters typically...so having say the ability to put 1-5 lux on targets at 100 meters is all you need as a minimum spec.

5 lux at 100 meters calls for 50k cd for example, but 1 lux at 100 m only calls for 10k cd, and so forth.

That means that a light with around 30k cd will put about 3 lux on stuff about 100 M away....etc.

If that's your search radius...you're good to go, as all the extra lumens will be showing you stuff at that range across a wide field of view...and not just within a tight beam spot, etc.

On the other hand, if you need to see the opposite side of a ravine or river bank, etc, which might be 1000 M away, this is the wrong light, and the lights that CAN flood an entire field of view at that range are NOT going to be small enough to carry in your hand, etc....so the lumens are all concentrated into a smaller beam spot that CAN put lux on stuff 1000 M away.

The SMALL LED that allow a light to HAVE that throw tend to produce fewer lumens, partly of course due to them BEING SMALL...and, therefore, a wide beam angle is a tough row to hoe for them, and defeats their advantage in small effective surface area for more throw in the first place.

So to GET massive lumen output, they typically need a lot of smaller emitters working as a team, or fewer but more hearty emitters pulling the same load, etc....but, again, then you are using shear horsepower for throw.

Last edited:

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
When it says 300 odd metres, what does that actually mean? 300m seems a long way, 1/3rd longer than my entire street .

What sort of range would the floody light goto?

Edit just read it has to be 0.25 lux for distance, I'm guessing that's the centre, how do you know what the flood light distance is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
When it says 300 odd metres, what does that actually mean? 300m seems a long way, 1/3rd longer than my entire street .

What sort of range would the floods light goto?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

300 meters IS a long way....over 3 football fields in length.

The thing to remember though, is that range is to 0.25 lux.

AT 300 meters, you can't really see much with 0.25 lux. Most people say they can see the beam ON something, but can't resolve WHAT the beam is on/details at that range and lux level.

Most people seem to need closer to 1-5 lux to resolve details, depending on the contrast.

So, if a light has a rating of 26,400 cd, that means it hits 0.25 lux at 325 meters....and as 0.25 lux is the standard lux level for ANSI spec range....that's what they quote...and at least you can compare to others on an apples and apples basis.

The USEFUL range though is (For all lights) always shorter at long ranges....as you really want more like 1-5 lux, not 0.25 lux if the target is over 200 m away anyway.

If you use 1 lux as you minimum useful lux level, the square root of the cd is the range in meters to 1 lux.

So, the root of 26,400 cd = ~ 162 meters.

162 meters is STILL a long way away...but a lot less than the 325 meters to the ANSI range, etc.

This is why I said this light is primarily suited for ~ 100 meter type ranges...as it WILL light up an entire football field at one shot with no sweeping.....which is useful in many circumstances.

This goes for ALL flashlights and their ANSI ranges...its just the labeling convention we are stuck with.

RCLumens

Enlightened
TEEJ, those are great points indeed! At least in my world, I don't think I'd imagine such flood. An entire football field one chunk at a time could be pretty cool - just figuring with such a huge light it would go a little further. It's obviously got one main application - and most lights of this nature have always tried for some level of combination. If Olight releases some beamshots of just that - a football field being lit up in its entirety, that might just pose an awe factor to get people buying.

Also, if in the case of doing S&R in the woods - do you happen to know the type of tint that these LEDs put out? is it cool white or more neutral?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
TEEJ, those are great points indeed! At least in my world, I don't think I'd imagine such flood. An entire football field one chunk at a time could be pretty cool - just figuring with such a huge light it would go a little further. It's obviously got one main application - and most lights of this nature have always tried for some level of combination. If Olight releases some beamshots of just that - a football field being lit up in its entirety, that might just pose an awe factor to get people buying.

Also, if in the case of doing S&R in the woods - do you happen to know the type of tint that these LEDs put out? is it cool white or more neutral?

In S&R, frankly, the tint is not really important...seeing is mostly done with eyes as night adapted as possible, and when fully night adapted, your vision is mostly in black and white.

As it steals LED power to make the light warmer...most effective searching is done with whiter lights to maximize the amount of light to see with. The HIDs on the other hand have very warm looking beams, naturally.

One thing that tends to further cloud the tint waters is that I might de-dome lights that need more range, as that about doubles the cd. When dedomed, the tints tend to be shifted a bit warmer, so if it started as a cool white, it might look like a neutral after dedomed, etc.

:D

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Not listed as in stock yet, but the SR96 is listed on my favorite store for $349. Must be getting close to a release.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Not listed as in stock yet, but the SR96 is listed on my favorite store for $349. Must be getting close to a release.

Can't remember which site but they said by the 1st October they should have them in.
Guessing we will have to wait till then for more pics and a review.

Magnumb

Newly Enlightened
I'm new, long time lurker!

Here are my thoughts

1) disappointed at the throw, they already have a floody X6 Marauder
2) thermal stepdown is rediculous. I'm all for protecting the investment, but this shows a lack of design prowess in the sinking area. Now you might say, "ya but look at how hard they drive these lights" well after 5 minutes you own a newer sr95..if they have to step down after 5 minutes there is a design issue, be it too many of this type of LED, not enough of a heat sink (mass is so important here) make the flashlight head too machined to light and those outer fins do absolutely nothing.
3) to buy this light you need to be happy with 50% power for the majority of its use.
4) if 5 min is all you get, the this not a 4800lmn flashlight! It's a 2400 lumen flashlight with a 5 minute turbo mode.

i was looking forward to this light very much but my RC-40 I opted for is still the better option right now,because it has the ability to maintain max output until some unidentifiable time that no one has hit yet.

when I started hearing positive things about thermal stepdown on olight models, I got nervous and decided reviewers aren't looking at this right. This is not a plus, this is compensation for poor cooling design. I knew this new one would suffer this so I went RC40.

i would have bought this too, but finding out its a flood light also was a deal breaker. This is really more of a one piece upgrade for the X6 marauder.

just opinion now, but I think the missed the mark, and fenix was wise. I'm sure we will all get the olight we want one day, but this will be more niche to me.

Thanks for reading

Magnumb

Last edited:

viperxp

Enlightened
There is one shop already offering the flashlight for 388$. On it's page there is a lot's of information, even more then on Olight page.
Due to CPF rules I cannot post a link , just Google it and you will find.
Here are 2 photos taken from there.

786527445_236.jpg

786528802_749.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I'm new, long time lurker!

Here are my thoughts

1) disappointed at the throw, they already have a floody X6 Marauder
2) thermal stepdown is rediculous. I'm all for protecting the investment, but this shows a lack of design prowess in the sinking area. Now you might say, "ya but look at how hard they drive these lights" well after 5 minutes you own a newer sr95..if they have to step down after 5 minutes there is a design issue, be it too many of this type of LED, not enough of a heat sink (mass is so important here) make the flashlight head too machined to light and those outer fins do absolutely nothing.
3) to buy this light you need to be happy with 50% power for the majority of its use.
4) if 5 min is all you get, the this not a 4800lmn flashlight! It's a 2400 lumen flashlight with a 5 minute turbo mode.

i was looking forward to this light very much but my RC-40 I opted for is still the better option right now,because it has the ability to maintain max output until some unidentifiable time that no one has hit yet.

when I started hearing positive things about thermal stepdown on olight models, I got nervous and decided reviewers aren't looking at this right. This is not a plus, this is compensation for poor cooling design. I knew this new one would suffer this so I went RC40.

i would have bought this too, but finding out its a flood light also was a deal breaker. This is really more of a one piece upgrade for the X6 marauder.

just opinion now, but I think the missed the mark, and fenix was wise. I'm sure we will all get the olight we want one day, but this will be more niche to me.

Thanks for reading

Magnumb

I agree with all these thoughts!

When looking at the pictures it has a powerful wide beam,but all the other features especially the 50% effect stepdown i don´t like. I want full power all the way without any stepdown ,even if that means i have to buy a flashlight with less lumens. I know now for sure i will go for the RC40 instead.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
When looking at lights with step down...I think some people look at it backwards. The main REASON I think they look at it backwards, as its PRESENTED backwards, on purpose of course, by the ads for the lights. (No way to hit "Return", so apologizing for spacing....).........It would be like a car being advertised as having nitrous, and publishing the specs for the nitrous boosted performance in the ads...and the non-boosted in the specs too. The lights are doing this....and to not look paltry in comparison to their competitors, they all end up doing it..............BUT, we can look at the specs, and interpret what we see. If we see a light that can pop up to a larger output for a short period....we should look at it as we'd look at a car that could hit the nitrous if needed. IE: The specs do say its this output over this time....and, if those specs work for you, then its a good choice. If you NEED the boosted numbers to be available 100% of the time, then, its NOT a good light for you. You would then choose a higher output light....who's cruise speed is the same as the other's boost speed, etc...............Most people may not use every light on its 100% out put, they might use it on a lower output, and, boost it up when they need more light for a bit............so turbo type settings do have a use........in that the size and form factor required to maintain a higher output can be impractical, and a smaller light that can hop up as needed can be a reasonable alternative....for those people..............I just use the cruise specs to choose the lights, and consider the ability to have a short burst of extra output as gravy. :D

Last edited:

jhovan

Newly Enlightened
The specs make this statement....
"OLlight SR series are designed for commonly battery pack , making it perfect compatibility with the former SR-series flashlights."

This makes me believe they may offer just the light for those that already have an SR90?

firelord777

Enlightened
I think they mean the light can use battery packs from previous flashlights, I've never heard of Olight selling just the head. You can try and ask them though, it wouldn't hurt:)

RCLumens

Enlightened
I think also that a light this large would carry the capacity for a longer run on high/nitrous... My SR92 has about 8 hours on low setting and high at about 90 min...which is the 1700 or so lumens that it cranks out. this broad beam will need to be seen and reviewed - I;m not at the stage where I'd feel comfortable with the high output levels and throw for the size, weight, and price... The RC40 seems more in line...However I'm always up for learning - and have yet to light up an ENTIRE football field with a flashlight without the need to sweep... Perhaps this could be the deal - and when the lumens hit the eye will help with deciding...

Magnumb

Newly Enlightened
When looking at lights with step down...I think some people look at it backwards. The main REASON I think they look at it backwards, as its PRESENTED backwards, on purpose of course, by the ads for the lights. (No way to hit "Return", so apologizing for spacing....).........It would be like a car being advertised as having nitrous, and publishing the specs for the nitrous boosted performance in the ads...and the non-boosted in the specs too. The lights are doing this....and to not look paltry in comparison to their competitors, they all end up doing it..............BUT, we can look at the specs, and interpret what we see. If we see a light that can pop up to a larger output for a short period....we should look at it as we'd look at a car that could hit the nitrous if needed. IE: The specs do say its this output over this time....and, if those specs work for you, then its a good choice. If you NEED the boosted numbers to be available 100% of the time, then, its NOT a good light for you. You would then choose a higher output light....who's cruise speed is the same as the other's boost speed, etc...............Most people may not use every light on its 100% out put, they might use it on a lower output, and, boost it up when they need more light for a bit............so turbo type settings do have a use........in that the size and form factor required to maintain a higher output can be impractical, and a smaller light that can hop up as needed can be a reasonable alternative....for those people..............I just use the cruise specs to choose the lights, and consider the ability to have a short burst of extra output as gravy. :D

Nah, pretty sure people will look at this correctly. The reality is, most people were expecting a successor to the sr90/92/95 and really this is a compact X6 Marauder. Floody beam, little throw. The naming convention is completely wrong given the properties of this light vs others in the SR range.

this should be an X series light. From that standpoint, this I can see being a disappointment for many people.

the other issue playing into this (if I had to guess) is that in sticking with their existing battery system, they have done so to cut down on development costs. By limiting themselves to this battery pack, they had to be even more aggressive in step-down than they are on the X6. They are pushing the properties of the battery to provide limited high output to hungry LED's

i think they have created an awkward animal here only because of the above reasons and expectations setup by the use of a throwy series of flashlights nomenclature. This doesn't mean it's a bad flashlight at all, it's jut that expectations will adjust accordingly and I'm she they will sell a lot.

Anyone looking for an answer to the Fenix RC40 will have to look elsewhere, which is OK because it's normal for companies to have different focuses.

cheers

liquidwater

Newly Enlightened
Nah, pretty sure people will look at this correctly. The reality is, most people were expecting a successor to the sr90/92/95 and really this is a compact X6 Marauder. Floody beam, little throw. The naming convention is completely wrong given the properties of this light vs others in the SR range.

this should be an X series light. From that standpoint, this I can see being a disappointment for many people.

the other issue playing into this (if I had to guess) is that in sticking with their existing battery system, they have done so to cut down on development costs. By limiting themselves to this battery pack, they had to be even more aggressive in step-down than they are on the X6. They are pushing the properties of the battery to provide limited high output to hungry LED's

i think they have created an awkward animal here only because of the above reasons and expectations setup by the use of a throwy series of flashlights nomenclature. This doesn't mean it's a bad flashlight at all, it's jut that expectations will adjust accordingly and I'm she they will sell a lot.

Anyone looking for an answer to the Fenix RC40 will have to look elsewhere, which is OK because it's normal for companies to have different focuses.

cheers

actually the olight x6 throws 100k lux, thats a nice thrower and a lot more than the olight sr96 24k lux..