Olight X6 Marauder (6x XM-L, Rechargeable) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Not sure I understand the ergonomics of this light. It would seem the most likely deployment of this light would be from a vehicle like a truck or boat running on a DC cord direct with the battery reserved for short term excursions away from the vehicle. With the expense and weight of spare batteries it does not seem feasable for deployment for long term overland searching. Therefore it would seem that a pistol/spotlight grip would be much more ergonomic for use out a window or out the cabin of a boat.

Dotcircle

Newly Enlightened
Maybe something to replace my Niteye B30 in time. Imagine 5000 lumen bike light :naughty:

MrFunk

Newly Enlightened
Hi, thanks for the review, I just bought one but sometimes it makes a lil bit of noise ( a sort of whistle) is it normal? I asked Olight and they said yes.
Anyone has experiences with that ?
Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi, thanks for the review, I just bought one but sometimes it makes a lil bit of noise ( a sort of whistle) is it normal? I asked Olight and they said yes.
Anyone has experiences with that ?
It is likely inductor whine/hum. This is a common issue on many lights that use inductors, but its presentation can be highly variable (i.e., intensity and pitch varies with drive level). It's basically a resonance frequency hum due to the vibration of inductor coils at specific currents/voltages. It's "normal" in the sense that it is a basical physical property of an inductor, and is hard to control for. I discuss it at some length at the end of my flashlight circuit primer video.

Short answer is there is nothing you practically can do about it, I'm afraid.

MrFunk

Newly Enlightened
It is likely inductor whine/hum. This is a common issue on many lights that use inductors, but its presentation can be highly variable (i.e., intensity and pitch varies with drive level). It's basically a resonance frequency hum due to the vibration of inductor coils at specific currents/voltages. It's "normal" in the sense that it is a basical physical property of an inductor, and is hard to control for. I discuss it at some length at the end of my flashlight circuit primer video.

Short answer is there is nothing you practically can do about it, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the gr8 reply as always Selfbuilt :)

coldstar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, the beam pattern is really impressive...
And I think its shape is interesting. It reminds me of a mosquito killer lamp...:naughty:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt,

I have some questions,

1 Whats the difference between the fenix TK75 and the Olight X6 Marauder? X6 Has more beamdistance, and higher Cd number, thats all i know

2 Is the Olight X6 brighter than a carheadlight/s of a todays mazda,volkswagen, toyota,or ford?

3 How long can the x6 and the batterypack last? For years?

4 What is the beamdistance of the X6 on low, mid and high?

Remco

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1 Whats the difference between the fenix TK75 and the Olight X6 Marauder? X6 Has more beamdistance, and higher Cd number, thats all i know
The TK75 is rated at 2600 lumens - the X6 is rated at 5000 lumens.

2 Is the Olight X6 brighter than a carheadlight/s of a todays mazda,volkswagen, toyota,or ford?
"Brighter" is a relative term - do you mean overall output or throw. Certainly, in terms of output, both lights exceed a typical headlamp (you will have to check with the automative section experts for more info, but I believe a typical non-halogen car headlamp is considered to be around 1200 lumens - but don't quote me on that). In terms of throw, I don't know how the various car headlamps are rated, but I suspect the the TK75 would exceed it. Again, you would have to asked the automative experts to know more.

3 How long can the x6 and the batterypack last? For years?
Yes, it should be able to last years under typical use. More extensive use would reduce the lifetime, like with any Li-ion device.

4 What is the beamdistance of the X6 on low, mid and high?
So, I didn't measure them. But you could roughly estimate by the drop in output (i.e., Med is about a quarter as bright, so lux would like drop by a similar amount - you can work back to throw).
Remco

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The X6 has a higher cd, so it throws further than the TK75. I think both would out throw a car high beam....by a lot.

OTF for an average car is closer to ~ 750 -850 lumens (the higher numbers are emitter lumens, etc...), way dimmer than either the TK75 or X6.

The cd for the two lights was only given for high, so you might just use a proportional drop to be ball park.

The ANSI distances use 0.25 lux to delineate the beam's range limit.

So, if 0.25 lux is what you consider the end of the beam distance, you can use the meters of range listed in the reviews for the high's, and then take the proportion that the lower setting run at to reduce the predicted range proportionally.

Normally, its not relevant, as if things are far off, you're in HIGH anyway...and lower settings are MOST commonly used to just see where you're going close up.

:D

RemcoM

Enlightened
The TK75 is rated at 2600 lumens - the X6 is rated at 5000 lumens.

"Brighter" is a relative term - do you mean overall output or throw. Certainly, in terms of output, both lights exceed a typical headlamp (you will have to check with the automative section experts for more info, but I believe a typical non-halogen car headlamp is considered to be around 1200 lumens - but don't quote me on that). In terms of throw, I don't know how the various car headlamps are rated, but I suspect the the TK75 would exceed it. Again, you would have to asked the automative experts to know more.

Yes, it should be able to last years under typical use. More extensive use would reduce the lifetime, like with any Li-ion device.

So, I didn't measure them. But you could roughly estimate by the drop in output (i.e., Med is about a quarter as bright, so lux would like drop by a similar amount - you can work back to throw).
Remco

Thank you for your reply.

1 Whats the difference in the beam pattern ,between the Fenix TK75, and the Olight X6 Marauder on turbo mode?

X6 puts out nearly twice as much lumens as the TK75, so, is the beam of the X6 much more floodier than the TK75?

Twice as much lumens to spread out, What kind of beam can i expect from both lights?

2 What about the strobe mode of the X6? Is that impressive?

3 Is the low mode of the X6, bright enough to walk around in the forest at night?

Remco

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1 Whats the difference in the beam pattern ,between the Fenix TK75, and the Olight X6 Marauder on turbo mode?
X6 puts out nearly twice as much lumens as the TK75, so, is the beam of the X6 much more floodier than the TK75?
Twice as much lumens to spread out, What kind of beam can i expect from both lights?
The X6 is floodier, yes. You can see outdoor shots in this review that compare the X6 to other lights (but not the TK75, which is newer). I have some discussion of the TK75 beam in its own review, but outdoor shots are still pending, dependent on weather.

2 What about the strobe mode of the X6? Is that impressive?
It is a fairly typical fast strobe, of ~9.5 Hz. I find these too fast for signalling purposes, but some seem to consider them "tactical".

3 Is the low mode of the X6, bright enough to walk around in the forest at night?
I haven't tried that, but given the output, yes the X6 is bright enough. It may in fact be brigther than you want for this task, depending what kind of forest we are talking about (i.e., 270 estimated lumens on low is fairly bright).

RemcoM

Enlightened
The X6 is floodier, yes. You can see outdoor shots in this review that compare the X6 to other lights (but not the TK75, which is newer). I have some discussion of the TK75 beam in its own review, but outdoor shots are still pending, dependent on weather.

It is a fairly typical fast strobe, of ~9.5 Hz. I find these too fast for signalling purposes, but some seem to consider them "tactical".

I haven't tried that, but given the output, yes the X6 is bright enough. It may in fact be brigther than you want for this task, depending what kind of forest we are talking about (i.e., 270 estimated lumens on low is fairly bright).

So, i can see nearly as twice the output of the TK75, when i shine the X6 outside on high,

Do i see that double output as more flood and more throw? The marauder has a bit more throw/more beamdistance.

Is the TK75 and the X6 strong enough to fall on the ground from 1 meter? Manufacturer said, impact resistance of 1 meters, Im extremely carefull, of how i handle the TK75, and the X6. I not want to damage it.

Remco

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So, i can see nearly as twice the output of the TK75, when i shine the X6 outside on high,
Do i see that double output as more flood and more throw? The marauder has a bit more throw/more beamdistance.
No - the X6 has twice the output, but the human visual perception is not linear to output. Indeed, we perceive the intensity of most sensory system according to specific power relationships. Even in two lights with the same beam pattern, twice the output will not seem twice as bright to us.

And these two lights have very different beam patterns, which further confounds their direct comparison. Up close, the X6 will look brighter due to the wider and floodier beam. At a distance, the TK75 will seem very close to it.

Is the TK75 and the X6 strong enough to fall on the ground from 1 meter? Manufacturer said, impact resistance of 1 meters, Im extremely carefull, of how i handle the TK75, and the X6. I not want to damage it.
That's what most manufacturers rate their lights at - but it's hard to know how well any one sample will hold up. I would certainly try to return any light that fails after a 1m drop - but there is no way anyone can help you predict that.

RemcoM

Enlightened
No - the X6 has twice the output, but the human visual perception is not linear to output. Indeed, we perceive the intensity of most sensory system according to specific power relationships. Even in two lights with the same beam pattern, twice the output will not seem twice as bright to us.

And these two lights have very different beam patterns, which further confounds their direct comparison. Up close, the X6 will look brighter due to the wider and floodier beam. At a distance, the TK75 will seem very close to it.

That's what most manufacturers rate their lights at - but it's hard to know how well any one sample will hold up. I would certainly try to return any light that fails after a 1m drop - but there is no way anyone can help you predict that.

So, you measured 270 lumen on low mode, 1500 lumen on mid mode, and 5100 lumen on highmode?

1 Why is it that he gives more lumens ,than the specifications are telling?

2 I received my Olight X6 now, is there a good chance that i also report 270, on low, 1500 on med, and 5100 on high?

3 How do you measured the X6 with no cooling? How do you do that?

4 Does the X6 get hot, while its on low, med, and high?

Remco

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So, you measured 270 lumen on low mode, 1500 lumen on mid mode, and 5100 lumen on highmode?
1 Why is it that he gives more lumens ,than the specifications are telling?
My lumen estimates are just that - estimates - based on my testing method (all described on my www.flashlightreviews.ca website). The point is that I consistently compare all the lights I receive in the same way, so that you can compare their relative performance at different levels.

Not all manufacturer specs can be counted on to be entirely reliable. But you have to keep in mind that I typically only have one sample of each light, and there is bound to be some variability in performance across individual samples.

3 How do you measured the X6 with no cooling? How do you do that?
Sorry, I would have thought that was self-evident - no cooling means that no external cooling is applied (i.e., the light just sits there, in a corner of my office, with its head inside my lightbox). I typically do all my runtimes with fan cooling, unless otherwise specified.

4 Does the X6 get hot, while its on low, med, and high?
It certainly gets hot on Hi - my runtimes in the review show surface temperature readings. I don't find it unusually warm on Lo or Med.

RemcoM

Enlightened
My lumen estimates are just that - estimates - based on my testing method (all described on my www.flashlightreviews.ca website). The point is that I consistently compare all the lights I receive in the same way, so that you can compare their relative performance at different levels.

Not all manufacturer specs can be counted on to be entirely reliable. But you have to keep in mind that I typically only have one sample of each light, and there is bound to be some variability in performance across individual samples.

Sorry, I would have thought that was self-evident - no cooling means that no external cooling is applied (i.e., the light just sits there, in a corner of my office, with its head inside my lightbox). I typically do all my runtimes with fan cooling, unless otherwise specified.

It certainly gets hot on Hi - my runtimes in the review show surface temperature readings. I don't find it unusually warm on Lo or Med.

How is it possible that the X6 can throw very far, but it has orange peel reflectors?

I thought, only smooth reflectors can throw far.