OMG, the T1 is everything it is hyped up to be!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: OMG, the T1 is everything it is hyped up to be

The SL Jr. Lux is regulated, with a pretty flat run (Roy) to one hour and sixteen minutes, before rapid drop off. This run time means Streamlight is driving the snot out of it.

My Jr equals my new Gerber THREE watt LX3.0 in brightness.

I love them both because they use AA's !!!!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
The SL Jr. Lux is regulated, with a pretty flat run (Roy) to one hour and sixteen minutes, before rapid drop off. This run time means Streamlight is driving the snot out of it.

My Jr equals my new Gerber THREE watt LX3.0 in brightness.

I love them both because they use AA's !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll add to what John already said, that running a pair of NiMH rechargeable AA cells in the SL Jr. Lux results in TWO hours of regulated runtime. I would imagine that a pair of lithium AA cells might do the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

nonbox

Banned

T1 is amazing but I wish the knurling was like the upcoming T4 knurling. I like the cross hatch style knurling. The only other thing I would like improvement on is the length. It's a little long for a single cr123 light. I would pay extra for an all HAIII finished version with out the chrome bezel.

Leeoniya

Enlightened

its interesting if you look at the side of the box it comes in, you get a good impression of how far back from the front of the flashlight the emitter is due to the TIROS optics. and if you keep it on for a while you start feeling the heat being dissipated....almost from the middle of the light's length! it's very unusual., so u have to figure that the optics are take up about 35%-40% of the light's length, in addition add the regulation circuitry, and possibly a heatsink plate. and after you add the 1xCR123A battery, you have your T1 length. i dont think the optics would work as well if they were made any shorter, and they're the primary reason it looks more like a 2xCR123A light than a single cell version...cause the optics take up almost exactly the space of one cell. so dont hope for a shorter single cell light with the same optics from inova, it looks like it's physically impossible.

Ikonomi

Enlightened

Nerd posted some pictures of the actual TIROS optics: here's the thread, in case someone interested hasn't seen it.

That explains the length of the TIROS lights -- the optics themselves are longer than a CR123 battery. That said, the length of these lights doesn't bother me at all.

nonbox

Banned

What would happen if the tiros optic was shortened? I would sacrifice some throw & lumens for a shorter flashlight.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably not. It's total internal reflection after all. I'm not sure if the optic is really necessary.

Leeoniya

Enlightened

that's a good question, i would assume that it would almost definitely turn it into a flood light, at which point you can be happy with that if u like flood. the thing about optics is that there is a "sweet spot" for focus, and anything that doesnt hit it is usually out of focus, reflectors are more tolerant to the location of the light source along their length. i dont want to sound like an expert which i am not, but i'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that glass, and optics in general have what is called angle of total internal reflection
http://physics.bu.edu/py106/notes/Internal.html
once you move the light source, the angle between the light source and the optics internal walls becomes something other than this magic angle and you have a lot o light that does not get contained within the optic and gets diffused. as for reflectors, they are solid so they will always reflect all the light, no matter what angle it is at. which is an interesting point....do they make mirror coated optics? so there is a reflective surface on the outside walls? it might be the best of both worlds. or maybe i dont know what i'm talking about. : ). you can get a shorter light, but i dont think you can mod optics like cutting reflectors, i'm pretty sure you will lose most of your throw. unless you find optics that were originall designed with a shorter focal point...like the Frean LP, Elektrolumens 30mm...oh wait, any optics that arent inova's TIROS...but thats what you have to put up with for throw. it's not too hard to make a flood reflector, the only obstacle there is getting a smooth beam.

Leeoniya

Enlightened

actually if you look at the link i posted, the critical angle is fairly large for total internal reflection, the TIROS optics systems says it gets 90% of the light. where's the other 10% it's the 10% that goes out almost to the side of the emitter, where the critical angle is not met. and the only way to meet it is to have a much wider optic that can reflect the full 160 degree periphery of a high dome or 110 degrees of a low dome emitter.

Longbow

Enlightened

I've been playing with my new T1 for a week. It's a G-R-E-A-T light. Excellent switch operation, very bright white beam. The beam certainly has enough side-spill for most purposes and the almost unnoticeable "Saturn" rings disappear past ten feet. Impeccable workmanship, HA III finish, attractive, and easy to pocket carry, Inova has truly unveiled a milestone product. Warranteed for a lifetime!!!

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened

I've been very pleased with my T1. It's a perfect closet light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bobspel

Newly Enlightened

I agree, the T1 is a great light! I've had mine for a few months now, and it is the only flashlight I consistly reach for when I want to light up something, without dragging out the big ol'3D Maglight. It has a nice feel to it in hand, with my thumb on the switch. I always carry it in my jacket pocket so that I have it close by when I'm out. I think I'll get a second one just for in-house use.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing the tiros does is round out the square shape of the luxeon.
--------------------
Free E.T.

aiea

Newly Enlightened

Ever since I found CPF, I've bought the T1, XO, and T3 (took a chunk out of my saving)! Although the T3 is brighter, I found myself using the T1 the most because of the great balance of size and output!