• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ongoing wave of SunDrop XP

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
It's high time I started a thread on the SunDrop XP wave that has been hitting the beach well without such a thread. :eek:

In terms of how many of these will be available, I can't really say.

The SunDrop XP:

SunDropXP.jpg

The SunDrop XP is essentially an extended play version of the original SunDrop. The difference being in the converter and battery pack. The SunDrop XP has a SOB buck converter in its light engine and the battery pak is the 2x123 McClickie pak recently released. The Nichia high CRI 083 is driven at the same target current and using two batteries just extends the run time.

The price on these titanium SunDropXP lights is $460 plus shipping*.

These lights are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: SunDrop
Your CPF name
(if you have one)
Your real name and mailing address
phone number if international shipment
Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD.

Note:
The SunDrop XP offered here in this wave has a SOB333 driver for driving the Nichia High CRI LED and this converter can handle input voltage beyond 12 volts. This means that the 2x123 McClickie pak can use either CR123 or R123 cells with no concern. You might also have reasonable luck with a single 17650 Li-Ion cell if it fits in the pak. The LED may or may not be driven at the full target current level while for some portion of the battery discharge it may be below full current and in direct drive. At any rate, no harm to the LED or converter.By virtue of the nature of the light engine used in the SunDrop and now SunDrop XP, there are any number of converters which will work here and future waves may well have different drivers and output options. The Nichia 083 High CRI LED is essentially a 1 watt part so max drive should not exceed the spec of 350 mA.

* shipping is via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Global Priority mail. If you wish shipping via an alternative method, or signature confirmation or insurance on domestic shipments only, please specify in your e-mail order.

The Coach

Enlightened
WOW, I'm the first one, but I already have one coming in two parts. Good luck everyone, get'em while they're hot. :twothumbs

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess this here's a good place to post...

there was a question about if a 17650 would fit. this one slides in and out with no room to spare
notice the 6V on the XP LE
some difference in light output using a single 3.7v battery vice 2 batteries but usable. only a single 3v is dim
sd1zn0.jpg

i like the SD XP head on the old Skunkworks body. interesting is the inner diameter of the old tube is quite bigger then the new Ti pack swallowing any 17mm battery. the new tube has a lot more meat under the threads though.
sd2fe1.jpg

:goodjob: viva la "E" series

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Very nice Don. I was wondering, what would the runtime be on this light when using 2 primaries?
Thank you.
Yaesumofo

I read this and figured that it was a reasonable question deserving of better than just a guess. I did a run time test yesterday on one:

SunDropXP-RunTime.JPG

It looks like the flat regulation went for about 5 hours and 45 minutes. The SOB give you a nice additional amount of time once it drops out of regulation.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to removed the sticker from AW's Protected 17670 (1600mAH) for it to fit or it would have been stuck in the tube. One 17670 is dimmer than two primaries (by sight) and two Protected R123A (750 mAH) is a little brighter than two primaries per the light meter (by sight no difference). Thanks Don, using rechargeables makes this light really special!

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
SunDropXP-RunTime.JPG

It looks like the flat regulation went for about 5 hours and 45 minutes. The SOB give you a nice additional amount of time once it drops out of regulation.

Wow, 5 & 3/4 hours of flat output is impressive.
Is the run time of 1x123 sundrop is about half of that? around 2 & 3/4 ? :rolleyes:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wow, 5 & 3/4 hours of flat output is impressive.
Is the run time of 1x123 sundrop is about half of that? around 2 & 3/4 ? :rolleyes:

I would expect the runtime to be somewhat less than half, perhaps around 2.5 hrs.

The Coach

Enlightened
Lousy USPS, my head was supposed to be here today. :hairpull: I'll be waiting for that guy tomorrow. :xyxgun:

paulr

Flashaholic
Looks nice! I'll stay with the 1 cell version but the 2 cell pak looks very promising for more powerful lights that are hopefully in the pipeline?

GeorgeMaggos

Newly Enlightened
Hey Don,

the Ti 2x123 McClickie Pak was delivered yesterday :cool: & the SunDrop XP Head arrived today :thumbsup:
:thanks: for your time & all your effort :goodjob: I appreciate it :twothumbs​

:wow: this SunDrop XP is an awesome light :clap:

~George

IMG_0669a.jpg

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's here. I like! Same beautiful light, and a bit easier in the hand.
The additional run time will be welcome as well.

Looks like I could get a 17670 in here, but I'd never get it out again.
It's an AW, and the sticker was already removed.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be a tolerance in the battery diameters. Some fit better than others:thumbsup: