Operation Enlightenment!***CLOSED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 1st post: Just got my TL-3 here in IRAQ. Thank

You need a stock number for the batteries so Uncle Sam can pay for them. Show the battery to your supply sarge and have them order some. Show the flashlight to your commander and tell them to order some for everyone.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Be safe.

Blades

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bryan, we are proud of you and everybody else over there. You tell your buds for us, OK?

That TL-3 Xenon is one of the best "bang for your buck" lights out there.

BC

Keep on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif < that ain't a horse, it's an a$$

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Blades said:
You need a stock number for the batteries so Uncle Sam can pay for them. Show the battery to your supply sarge and have them order some. Show the flashlight to your commander and tell them to order some for everyone.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Be safe.
Blades

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea. Problem is getting them before I leave in MARCH. Everthing is by priority. Unfortunatly this would be a low one. We cant even get waterproofing for our boots thru US mail because its flamable. Supply cant get it with out lots of special paperwork to send it on a special aircraft setup to ship flamable supplies. AHHHH! I wont get started on that. Sorry to get side tracked. I think I will push for some things like this when I get back.
Thank you,
Bryan

wwglen

Enlightened

Get a CMG Infinity Ultra in "AA". Use everyones elses "DEAD" batteries in you ultra for 1-2 hours extra use.

Also get a couple of the Dorcy "AAA" Led lights from Wal-Mart. Good for give aways.

A couple years ago I took a Jumbo RED/ORANGE LED and with a 40 ohm resistor in series soldered it into a PR base. Worked GREAT in the Angle Head Flashlight. Medium /Short range use but brighter than a angle light with the red filter on it. Runtime was outragious. I used it for a kids night light throug 4 nights of no power after Hurricane Floyd. No noticable output over that time.

I gave the bulb to my nephhew who graduated from West Point a 2 years ago. I do not know if he uses it or not.

wwglen.

BillM

Newly Enlightened

Just had to add my 2 cents worth. I got an Anglelux a couple weeks ago and I am totally impressed with it for brightness (1w), fairly narrow beam, good throw and long battery life. At worst it would make a great backuplight if you ran low on 123 batteries. Another approach would be to get and Everled "bulb". It fits in all sorts of flashlights (including the anglehead) with a wide range of voltages. If you are worried about theft, you can take the Everled out of a light when it's prudent.

I like your idea of an Arc AA for walks to the can & such. My Surefire L4 eats a pair of 123 about every hour of use but what a light! The L5 looks even more impressive if you do not mind the extra size.

In any case, you are right to get lights until you have the ones you want and need.

Thanks for serving our great country!

Bill

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to chime in here too. I got two Anglelux's from Wayne about 2 weeks ago. One is for my Dad who wont use "pretty" flashlights.

I've got to tell you I am impressed with these lights. They are bright, tough sturdy lights, with good color and good beam patterns. The long runtime and D-batts they use are a big plus for 123 phobes.

Two thumbs up for these!

GregR

Sutro_SoundWerks

Newly Enlightened

OFF TOPIC, But it makes me sick that are armed services issue CRAP flashlights to or soldiers to the point they have to buy their own. Surefires,Streamlight, ect. should be issue.Period! Maybe we should do a group donation thing? Flashlights not used anymore,extra boxes of cr123's,ect.. I feel guilty sittin here with my light toys in my warm livingroom knowing these guys/gals are stuck in the desert w/hostiles runnin around.Makes Ya Think. Thanks Goose, Thanks all you Guys. Have a good christmas if possible.

PS. Goose maybe you should drop a addy in here or email an administrator of the forum, bout the light donation idea.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greengoose welcome to the best forum around. Thank you for your service to our country. How about Kiwi brand mink oil its a paste with silicone and lanolin and has no cautions pertaining to flammability?Do you think it might make it? It comes in a metal container.

RadarGreg

Enlightened

Greengoose, if you have your supply order the batteries under NSN 6125-01-505-2787, you can get the batteries without having to buy them at the PX. Since several military systems use these batteries, they should be in stock somewhere in Iraq. I'll see if I can pinpoint a SSA that has a stock of them and let you know.

Also, for your boots, Kiwi has a new desert boot care kit available. It has some cleaner, leather treatment to waterproof them and a boot deodorizer. The kits run about 8 bucks and are available in the PXs. If you can't find them there, email me and I'll see what Santa can do for Christmas for you. Stay safe,

RadarGreg

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good luck and god bless all the service members out there.

I might be leaving soon for Iraq, so e-mail me for a shipping address.

I will try my best to hook you up, RadarGreg - Kodak Max CR 123's right? My unit has a few........35 or so boxes of these (12 per box.) Also lots of rayovac Maximum plus AA's and AAA's, Energizer C's and D's, and 9 Volts. I borrow two or three CR 123's every now and then for my Scorpion and TT 1L.

Also the new Kiwi Desert boot care kit is ok from my initial use of it on one of my friends timberlands. $8 from the PX I go too. It has a scrub brush, a suede soft brush, a eraser bar, a bottle of cleaner, a bottle of protector, a bottle of protectant, and a small towel in a package with instructions.

If you are going rechargables and want something nice, a Tigerlight is nice. I also saw on their website they have a new Picatinny (sp?)/rail mount/MOLLE.

Good luck, stay safe,and happy holidays,
Jason

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF, Greengoose! You must be working Base Security and/or AP (Air Police. if the AF still calls it that). That X5(T) is great for its long runtime (for CR123A based lights).

Listen to us long enough, and you will have enough lights to fill a C5 Galaxy. Batteries not included. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralf

Enlightened

... Just impressed that you have
email, WWW, orders from flashlight sellers in the US
at your servcie in Iraq ...

Cheers and all the best
Ralf

RadarGreg

Enlightened

This is the NEW military. Satellite phones, internet and email are not just luxuries, but necessities. I wouldn't be surprised if Dubya in Washington didn't have a video feed right as the first GI pulled Saddam from his hideout. There were plans to have every infantryman with a head mounted camera, internet and email capable computer as part of their field gear. I think it ran into a problem with the weight of the batteries her would have to haul around, and it was quite distracting to get an email from mom in the middle of a firefight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

RadarGreg

Enlightened

Greengoose, you can also try ordering the batteries under the NSN 6135-01-351-1131. This will get you a package of 12 batteries. The cost is $24.98 and is Class IX. Kodak is the manufacturer and a box of these should feed your light for a while. I hope this helps.

RadarGreg

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bryan Thanks for your service. As for the USGI flashlights, about the best straight forward mod I found was to use a Halogen, or Xenon replacement bulb. If you can get the Writeright pda covers, and cover the lens, that might help as well.

jbroker83

Enlightened

I, personally, am surprised that our military isn't supplied with a Surefire G2 or something similar. Rugged, tough, reliable, and adequately bright for most, I would think that the Gov't could work out a deal with SF for a bulk order...it would seem a good idea that all soldiers/servicemen/women have a quality lighting tool...

Aren't like the CIA or FBI issued 6P's right after the academy??

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

FBI and Federal air marshals are issued a Z2 combatlight with P60 lamp...

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Not wishing to detract from the thread but I am staggered by the patriotism and goodwill shown to your fellow countrymen serving in Iraq. As a 'Brit' and ex UK serviceman I am so overwhelmed by what I have read in this thread of like minded folk trying to help their servicemen serving their country.

I am just saddend that the British MOD and the UK population as a whole aren't as supportive to our own servicemen. If what I've read is correct we (as a country) haven't even allowed any presents to be sent from home to our boys. The official reason being that it would cost too much and would cause problems with the supply train. Can you believe that?

I have always admired America and this thread just kinda confirms my feelings!

Doug

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

Wow. I woke up this evening and I couldnt belive my eyes when I seen how many people responded to my post. You guys are way cool. I really dont feel right accepting donations but I know I would be doing the same for others over here if I were back in the states. If anything is donated I will sure spread the wealth among my co-workers. I really want to thank everyone for the written support. I read each and every reply back to the folks here in the work tent and it sure made their day.

My address is:

Bryan McFalls
Operation Iraqi Freedom
33nd AEW / 64 ERS
APO AE 09358

We'll keep doing our best. Thanks. (Salute back at ya!)

Status
Not open for further replies.