Opinions on the best LED light for Boating, Marine use & Remote Island Living

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you just need to get the lights you have modded then.

As far as boat mounted goes I would definitely look into some more running lights that way you know for sure you at least have those in case your flashlights fail. Check out superbrightleds,com for great quality lights for boats, cars, tractors, etc. I have purchase a lot from them and they have great products and customer service

TillooPond

Newly Enlightened
I have also started Googling the many light LED and HID light brands recommended in this post. My wife is going to hate you guys, I can see I am going to be spending some money for sure next time I get to the US and get some of these ordered up. I also forgot to mention we do not have a Home Depot out here, or really any good place to get flashlights. Marsh Harbour if the closest town with any real Hardware stores, but there is no options to get flashlights at all out here except a few RayoVacs and Duracells they sell at the local hardware store. Once we take the C40 over to the US (a couple times a year), then I can order from the internet and have it sent to the marina as long as my timing is good on ordering it where it will arrive in time before I leave.

TillooPond

Newly Enlightened
Until it falls in the water...

I always wear my lights on either a lanyard or a shoulder strap. I have dropped more lights going between the dock and boat that I can count and learned my lesson on that early on. Luckily I almost always am able to retrieve the lights (sometimes a few days later) and I have never lost function of a Fenix or Nitecore light from being submerged, even for several days. I do make sure my o-rings have a light coating on Nyogel because there is a high probability of submersion with any of my lights.

TillooPond

Newly Enlightened
I did want to apologize also for the delay in responding to this. We had 35 mph winds yesterday and no internet all day and was off Cay all day today. Because we do not have options on an island for cable or DSL, our only option is to pick it up via a receiver dish from Marsh Harbour (about 9 miles away). It is anything but ideal because when it blows hard, rains, or the conditions are not ideal we lose internet. I am waiting for satellite internet to hit the Bahamas, but no current services are allowed to operate in this country yet.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
You already have a small fortune in the lights you already have so what's a little more lol. Also check out X Vision Cannons. They are 12v led spot lights that seem to have a pretty good following in the off road world. Ted won't throw as far as an hid system or maxabeam but they would make good boat mounted lights.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did want to apologize also for the delay in responding to this. We had 35 mph winds yesterday and no internet all day. Because we do not have options on an island for cable or DSL, our only option is to pick it up via a receiver dish from Marsh Harbour (about 9 miles away). It is anything but ideal because when it blows hard, rains, or the conditions are not ideal we lose internet. I am waiting for satellite internet to hit the Bahamas, but no current services are allowed to operate in this country yet.

No big deal man, that is completely understandable. My gripe is when somebody who isn't in those conditions comes on here and asks for a recommendation, a bunch of people take time to give suggestions, but we never hear from the OP after their first post.

TillooPond

Newly Enlightened
If going to the HID lights, along with Maxabeam and Surefire Hellfighter, look at XeVision/Lemax LX70 or LX50. You seem to have the led part covered.

Good video. Looking forward to the next parts.

Thank you for the comment on the video. It is funny, everyone out here see's me driving all the time at night with my wife or kids up front with the RC40 and me using the TM36 and asks me about flashlights. Most people out here (locals anyways) have never seen flashlights that bright and people are always asking me about it, and I am anything but an expert. I was kind of tired of answering the question that I thought I could just direct them to the video for a detailed explanation of what I am using, and why. As well as the different configurations I have found for the various lights that work best for us.

I already shot the 2nd part which is just small lights, headlamps, dive lights and a few other. The final one I want to do of comparing the different lights on some distance shots from my boat to shore or from our docks to various outcrops down the island. There is so much salt spray in the air here if you use a wider beam like the TM15, it kills the distance. It almost looks like snow with a wide beam light bouncing off all the salt particles in the air. however it seems the TK61 and TM36 perform the best for me and are able to cut through the salt in the air, but the battery munching is a problem so I am going to take a serious look at some of these other options.

Last edited:

TillooPond

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you just need to get the lights you have modded then.

As far as boat mounted goes I would definitely look into some more running lights that way you know for sure you at least have those in case your flashlights fail. Check out superbrightleds,com for great quality lights for boats, cars, tractors, etc. I have purchase a lot from them and they have great products and customer service

Thanks Tac Gunner for introducing me to SuperBrightLED, I think you should hit up for a commission. I have been on that site for a half of an hour and I can see they are going to end up getting deep into my wallet on my next trip state side. Great tip!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tac Gunner for introducing me to SuperBrightLED, I think you should hit up for a commission. I have been on that site for a half of an hour and I can see they are going to end up getting deep into my wallet on my next trip state side. Great tip!

Lol or at least some more coupon codes, I'm not sure the number of times I've recommended them. My only advise when ordering from them is do pay attention to the IP ratings. For a while I was using some of their accent light modules to light up the grills of trucks but after about a year they have all stopped working due to water damage. I knew the lights were rated for no more than splashes but figured where they would be mounted it would be ok, I guess I was wrong lol. That is the only problem I have had and I'm almost 95% sure it was my fault for using the wrong product for the application. Use coupon code RE319 for 5% off and if you sign up for emails they run sales of 10% and sometimes 15%. They are based just outside of St. Louis, MO and it usually takes 3 to 4 days for items to arrive to me in central, ky.

Last edited:

tedjanxt

Enlightened
I always wear my lights on either a lanyard or a shoulder strap. I have dropped more lights going between the dock and boat that I can count and learned my lesson on that early on. Luckily I almost always am able to retrieve the lights (sometimes a few days later) and I have never lost function of a Fenix or Nitecore light from being submerged, even for several days. I do make sure my o-rings have a light coating on Nyogel because there is a high probability of submersion with any of my lights.
Yea but the light I responded to is the size of an old school lunchbox.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea but the light I responded to is the size of an old school lunchbox.

The light itself is not that big, only with the battery pack does it become mildly cumbersome. I suggested maxabeam to him as a boat powered light, not with battery pack. It's an extremely well made product that performs unlike any other, hence it's respected by most members here. I have 2, one for home w/Lipo pack and one for car that uses the cig outlet only. I have great respect for LED and HID but I wouldn't trade my maxabeams for either. One would serve the OP quite well since they were designed for his purposes.

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Was not aware the pack seperates! That's pretty cool actually, I was assuming something like a small SLA battery.

I still stand by my statement that his boats need onboard light, pronto.

TillooPond

Newly Enlightened
The light itself is not that big, only with the battery pack does it become mildly cumbersome. I suggested maxabeam to him as a boat powered light, not with battery pack. It's an extremely well made product that performs unlike any other, hence it's respected by most members here. I have 2, one for home w/Lipo pack and one for car that uses the cig outlet only. I have great respect for LED and HID but I wouldn't trade my maxabeams for either. One would serve the OP quite well since they were designed for his purposes.

Been researching up the MaxaBeam also to wire in as you suggest. I agree that this will be a great solution for our Goto night runner, the Albury 23. A little worried about wiring anything into the 86 Ocean Master 31' because her electrical system is....well....I'll put it this way. The outboard engines, ignition and a tac are the only functioning electrical components that have not lost function. 30 years of running in the Bahamas for that boat have made the electrical system a mess of corroded wires. But it is on the list to re-wire at some point in the future. The vessel is a fish slaying machine and would be worth the investment at some point.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been researching up the MaxaBeam also to wire in as you suggest. I agree that this will be a great solution for our Goto night runner, the Albury 23. A little worried about wiring anything into the 86 Ocean Master 31' because her electrical system is....well....I'll put it this way. The outboard engines, ignition and a tac are the only functioning electrical components that have not lost function. 30 years of running in the Bahamas for that boat have made the electrical system a mess of corroded wires. But it is on the list to re-wire at some point in the future. The vessel is a fish slaying machine and would be worth the investment at some point.

Once you hold one in your hand, fire it up and focus it to spot..... You'll giggle. It's like holding a 2 mile long light saber. They are well built, high quality lights that preform like no other. :)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Maxa Beam MBS-450A light which when built by Peak was designed for remote control as well as hand held use. It's a second generation light, so it only outputs 6 million candle power. I might be persuaded to sell this one, as I have four others. PM if interested.

These lights really throw a pencil point beam which at night on the water can be defocused to broaden your view, then focused to pin point distant objects.