Ordered a 15mw 532nm "Classic" pen from Wicked..

SmithB

Newly Enlightened
Last...Monday? Received it today...pretty damn fast shipping, I must say, considering it came from China.

I've got my GBS-100, but I wanted something portable with a little less danger. In all honesty, I'll probably end up selling the GBS-100 within a short amount of time.

I ordered the 15mw, but the sticker on mine says <30mw. From what I read on their forums, they sometimes upgrade you if they don't have what you ordered in stock, and someone else also received a 30 for a 15.

This thing IS awful damn bright. It really puts a spot on the wall. I'm at the office (I also ordered Wicked goggles) and put them on. I grabbed a magnifying glass, and I could make smoke off of my black leather wallet.

It was also able to burn a pinhole through a garbage bag, WITHOUT the magnifying glass.

Could a typical 15mw do that, or did I really get something more in the 30+ range?

Comparing the dot to my 100mw, it's obviously not THAT bright, but it does put a nice dot on the wall, like I said...also, I put it under my desk by my computer where it's kinda dusty, and I could faintly see the beam.

Seems like a pretty good deal for $99, regardless...powered by 2 AAA batteries.

Athoul

Enlightened
Your laser is operating at closer to 30mW and you got the next model up from the 15mW, the 25mW. They used to carry this model at one point, but stopped. The only thing is, because it is around 30mW you will still need to be weary of speckular reflections.

Athoul

Enlightened
LOL good point. But hey you got a lucky break, it's not everyday these things happen. ;)

SmithB

Newly Enlightened
Athoul said:
Your laser is operating at closer to 30mW and you got the next model up from the 15mW, the 25mW. They used to carry this model at one point, but stopped. The only thing is, because it is around 30mW you will still need to be weary of speckular reflections.

Yeah...I was actually wanting to purposely buy a lower-powered laser. I can't wrong them for sending me one more powerful than what I ordered, but still.

Now I need to order a 5mw leadlight or something.