Ordered Photon Freedom Micro - White beam. good keychain light?

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
fwiw, I've also never had a problem with the freedom batteries.

What do you all think of the Photon ReX? I've been considering it for a couple years now, I suppose I should just get one. Does anyone carry one? Do you like it? I think the website has said that a USB charger is coming soon for at least 2 years now :) I like the idea of a rechargeable coin cell light.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider it the ultimate keychain light. I believe it is about the smallest, toughest and probably the brightest. It has the most versatile UI while being simple to use. I prefer the covert version because it has no back-spill. I have a Freedom, an X-light as well as the older Photon II and Photon 3, all in white and some in red. I have been using them for many years. I have also tried the Inovas, Princeton Tech, and some others.

If you are worried about accidental activation, there are several ways to deal with that. It does have auto-shutoff as a hidden feature that can be activated or disabled. It could also be put into signal mode so it won't latch on. Or you can cover the switch with a snap-on accessory that comes with it that is intended as a base for a lanyard.

The variable brightness comes in handy when trying to preserve night vision or avoid distrubing others when they are sleeping. I suppose it would also be useful for military or police if they are trying to remain hidden but need a bit of light. It would also extend runtime considerably. I have never needed any of the flashing modes, but the UI is set up so that they never get in the way.

The X-light is very similar, but slightly larger, less water resistant and with the clear body, has more backspill. Both are bright, have the same UI and make a fine keychain light. I like the rubbery switch on the X-light better and it is even made of glow-in-the-dark material. Overall, I prefer the Freedom slightly.

The battery change is a little fiddly, but most coin cell lights are just as fiddly or worse. I wouldn't want to change batteries in the dark, but otherwise it is manageable. The batteries seem to last a very long time. I use mine daily and many months pass between battery changes.

Flic

Enlightened
I have to agree with Marduke and Lurker. This is a great light. Certainly an all-time CPF classic. The Freedom has a great (read easy) UI. It can withstand a lot of abuse, has excellent output (newer versions in particular) and is tiny. Battery changes have never been a problem for me, even without tools. And those batteries do last a very long time. If your keys never see rain, get a Fauxton. But if you want a dependable light that will give you years of service, get the Photon Freedom. You will not regret it.

passive101

Enlightened
I may consider a CR2 light in the future. I don't want a lot of weight on my keys and like to keep them very light. If I found one that was very small and the run time and brightness a long with a very low light setting was there I'd consider it when I had more money :thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm another fan of the Freedom and all its larger siblings. The orange LED model I have is great for those low light uses.

One thing I've noticed with mine is that it does not go into the hidden shutdown mode, like the ReX and Protons will, and apparently like white LED Freedoms will. I've wondered if this has something to do with it running on less voltage than the whites. Has anyone else with a red or orange Freedom noticed this?

Geoff

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm another fan of the Freedom and all its larger siblings. The orange LED model I have is great for those low light uses.

One thing I've noticed with mine is that it does not go into the hidden shutdown mode, like the ReX and Protons will, and apparently like white LED Freedoms will. I've wondered if this has something to do with it running on less voltage than the whites. Has anyone else with a red or orange Freedom noticed this?

Geoff

I think that has to do with generations. IIRC, the early generations did not have the feature. One of my upgraded whites is too old to have the feature. Even if yours is newly purchased, it would not surprise me if it was old stock, being an unpopular color not subject to the same LED upgrade advancements.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I have a Photon Freedom to the Max (White, covert nose)
on the zipper pull of each and every one of my coats & jackets.

They've been totally reliable and dependable. :thumbsup:

And very, very handy and useful. :kiss:

BTW, i find the covert-nose to be essential.

Can't stand to be "blinded" by my own light. :cool:

Let us know how you like it.

:candle:
_

hivoltage

Enlightened
Photons are excellent little pocket lights. Check out the rechargeable Rex!!!!!! Even brighter and still pocketable.

fyrstormer

Banned
The Photon 2 wins in my book, because the emitter is replaceable. I just changed out the emitters in the Photons I bought for my parents with Nichia GS', and I'm starting to think maybe I should swap them out again for the fancy LEDs that PhotonFanatic uses. Those things are crazy bright @ 6v.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a fistful of PFs -- a few in use and the rest stowed away. Most of mine are cyan but we also use some in white. It a top notch light for what it is and what it costs. (IIRC the PF starts at $9.95 at BatteryJunction) It has a whole raft of additional modes that never get in the way of everyday use, thanks to a very well thought out UI.

There are tricks and tweaks that cover a wide range of tasks -- I won't bore everyone with them. Suffice it to say that searches will turn up much more about variations in running PFs than what comes with them in the official documentation.

Cells (either cr2016s or cr2032s) could be ordered online in the neighborhood $0.35 each last time I checked -- I doubt that I'll ever have to order more.

I don't ever want to be without a PF. The PF at my neck is switched on more than all of my other lights combined.

One qualification: I have always carried mine on a short ss bead chain around my neck -- I've never carried one on a keychain and never will. That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I also would not own one without the covert nose option.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Photon 2 wins in my book, because the emitter is replaceable. I just changed out the emitters in the Photons I bought for my parents with Nichia GS', and I'm starting to think maybe I should swap them out again for the fancy LEDs that PhotonFanatic uses. Those things are crazy bright @ 6v.

The Freedom is super easy to upgrade. The emitter basically plugs right into the board with two sockets. I upgraded two that way, takes about 5 minutes.

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
I just checked with Photon few weeks ago regarding on any changes on their latest LED. And they are still using the GS version. Is there no other improved version other than GS for nichia 5mm LED?

fareast

Enlightened
Getting that plastic back cover off is really hard. You need to pry it off with a knife blade. After a few battery changes this cover will be in bad shape. It snaps in really hard, and does not come off easy because there is only a tiny nub you can use to pry it off.

Then to get the button batteries out you need to slip it out from under this fragile metal bar. This bar is very easy to bend. Then the operation of the light becomes unreliable.

I share your experience with the Freedom Micro's. Mine were the Camo versions which broke down all the time (the forth or fifth now already since last may. The last one to break was a UV one and it still needs to be shipped back etc. etc. It just seems I can't be bothered anymore with sending it back all the time. The Micro II's are way more reliable but the the battery swap in these... Try unscrewing these screws in the bush for a cell swap.

I feel bummed though, I know I am very lonely in this, most others have NOT had the experience I have had with the Freedom's (Camo's), even repaired ones broke again after a few on and off clicks.

I now use metal DD 10180 lights as replacements.

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, there's another reason to get a Photon 2 instead -- the casing is held together with four wristwatch screws, which are easy to remove if you have a tiny screwdriver.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Photons are great little lights. They do have their flaws, of course, but they are there when needed, and they are dependable.

I very much prefer the II for the KISS interface as opposed to the PF with the silly UI, but the II does not come in fancy colors and is not water tight ... and you have screws for battery replacement, which is annoying.

bernie

HatPhoton.jpg

PhotonAll.jpg

PhotonY.jpg

Striderpinksmall.jpg

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta think the smallest CR2 light is going to feel way bigger on the chain then a Freedom. My Arc AAA felt way bigger then the Freedom.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I have carried a Photon Freedom Micro around my neck for years and never had a problem with it. I use a small standard screwdriver to pry the battery cover open and get the batteries out. Takes no more than a few seconds.

All of my other EDC lights have varied over the years but the Photon Freedom stays around my neck. :)