Outlook back-up advice needed.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The programming team got new towers that we will be configuring next week.

I forgot what to do with Outlook. I'm not sure I ever knew everything.

I need advice.

I'm excited about these new machines and don't want to make a mistake.

They are Dell Precision 650s. Intel Xeon dual-processor running at 3.06GHz. Dual channel DDR 1280MHz SDRAM memory. The Dell site says they can be upgraded to 4 gig DDR SDRAM. I haven't counted all the fans yet but I see two fans drawing against a 1.5" tall 'chamber' that captures all of the real estate of the footprint of the case.

You know how you can just grab most towers and one- hand them? Well, maybe size15s or treek13 could but I can just barely hold them in one hand. Walking around with one and opening a door is not much of an option for me. They gotta be 45 lbs. These are some horses fellers.

I'm mostly interested in advice on not making a mistake with Outlook back-ups and back-ups in general. Some of you have already advised me that Eraser is a good thing for a specific purpose. However, if any of you have knowledge about these towers I would be very interested in that. Information I get from CPFers continues to cause co-workers to think I'm a genius.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are computers not towers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Look in the help/about of outlook and see if it is running in Corporate/workgroup or Internet Mail Only. If corp/wrkgroup then go to tools/services and see if there is a Microsoft Exchange service. If so then look at the delivery tab and see if your mail is being delivered to personla folders or the exchange server. If the exchange server then your set and once you install outlook on the new computer your mail will still be there. Thats the ideal way to setup in an office environment.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eugene -

Thanks.

It's being sent to personal folders. Can I save them to a B drive then put them back in Outlook on the new machine or should I just drag them into the Exchange Inbox?

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
A B drive? Not sure what kind of drive you have as B, but I hope its more than a floppy as pst's are usually big. Yes you can copy the pst file, burn to a cd, over the network whichever. The pst contains everything but account information and mail rules.