Output or runtime?

Output or runtime, which do you prefer more?

• Output

Votes: 105 45.9%
  • Runtime

Votes: 124 54.1%

• Total voters

letezac

Newly Enlightened
My vote is for efficiency, but on brightness I prefer user selectable.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
It would seem that output vs runtime would be dictated by the circumstances, as they arise. Given an emergency, I could see where both would have their respective advantages. As an example: Get trapped in the dark, (insert you own circumstance here) and I mean really dark, no ambient light what-so-ever. I would think that a really low lumen output that would runs for days until help arrives, would be rather comforting, at least to me anyways.

Now having to get out of a certain situation, (insert your own circumstance here), in a strange setting, I think I would want everything my light could give me. I would want to see as far in front of me as possible, illuminate potential hazards, etc. Get out safely without injury.

Thankfully, our lighting choices get better almost on a daily basis. Very comforting indeed...

Bob

hopkins

Enlightened
I'm sure this thread is giving some ingenious people ideas for 'the perfect light'
Does it exist already?
Will it ever exist?
I look at my collection and say, "someday"!

I mod'd a Dorcy 3watt LED 6volt lantern with an extra resistor on
a switch for an ultra low beam - pushing only 5ma thru the 3watt
gives enough light to walk down a trail (that huge reflector) and should run for 'weeks' on new D cells - now thats runtime!

. Not the perfect light though cause its so big. But now its got runtime as well as blinding throw.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me (YMMV), burntime wins.

there are, to be sure, a lot of bright lights out there.

when one is a clear winner in the burntime category, it would be my choice.

again, though, with the lights that i'm familiar with, within each category of light, the burntimes are roughly similar too (unless one can run on a superior battery type).

so, bottom line, within each category of lights (which for me is based upon battery type, emitter/lamp type, max brightness), i generally pick the one with the longest burntime, sacrificing some throw, if necessary, and even a smoother, more artifact free beam pattern, within reason, for a longer burntime.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
here's a pic of my ultra long burn Dorcy 3watt LED 6volt lantern mod
Dorcyunderdrivenbeam002.jpg

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
I voted for Output. More specifically, usable output at 120 lumens with extra batteries to get through the night. However, most manufacturers aren't designing with just one of those goals in mind... nor do I buy that way. Thankfully, the emitter and battery technologies seem to be advancing symbiotically.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is interesting considering the deveopments in LED technology since this thread was started.

A measly 2 1/2 years later you can have both. Output and runtime.

Just look at the new Olight SR91, 450 lumens for 10 hours. That was an impossible dream back then, but a reality now.

Imagine what the next 2 1/2 years will bring. Max brightness 5000 lumens for 7 hours, 1000 lumens for 36 hours, 300 lumens for two weeks, moon mode the rest of your natural life.

Which is the very reason I've stopped buying lights at the moment. I'm sure by Christmas or early next year there will be newer, brighter and more efficient emmitters shoved into lights to make them even more outstanding.

So glad I'm here now and not back when my dad's 6D cell light was the only way to get brightness, all 120 lumens of it.

red02

Enlightened
Which do you prefer more between output and runtime (if you allowed to have one single stage light only, ie. between 120 lumens for 1 hour and 10 lumens for 12 hours)?

As for me, i am an efficient lights fan that tends to prefer runtime over output, so i can only consider a light to purchase if it has runtime at least for 12 hours with usable output (at least 10 lumens), so in case of power outage, i can be sure that there's still some decent light at least for one night. :candle:

I'm with OP on this one. While its fun to show off how bright a light is, whats the point if it can't work when its needed the most? When I buy lights runtime is probably the most important consideration. Even more so than battery options. Because I figure if the runtime is good, it doesn't really matter what batteries I have to mess with. While camping AAs are as hard to get as cr123s.

Output is practically last on the list so long as its reasonable.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Its like asking if you would prefer the temperature to be 120 degrees or 0 degrees. Neither one is comfortable but you can always put on more clothes if need be, but you can only take off so many clothes until you find yourself still hot and naked!

I voted for output as I can always carry more batteries. With a low output light you can have light for days, but if the light is not bright enough to illuminate what needs to be illuminated, the runtime doesn't do you much good.

Neither one is ideal and of course I prefer multimode. Hoping the Jetbeam III M I just ordered with great output and over 200 hours on low with an 18650 will be just about the perfect blend.

Last edited:

elho

Enlightened
Output, as long as runtime is >=30min. With non-proprietary cells you have infinite runtime as long as you have enough cells, so it is not really a question of runtime to me, but only how annoying changing the cell gets.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
120 Lumens for 1 hour would be my preference. I can always get 12.. 24...36 hours of runtime with extra cells.

Its impossible however to get 120 Lumens out of a 10 Lumen light.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Output, as long as runtime is >=30min. With non-proprietary cells you have infinite runtime as long as you have enough cells, so it is not really a question of runtime to me, but only how annoying changing the cell gets.

In my experience, any light that extinguishes it's power source in a 30 minute burn time will produce too much heat to run back to back battery changes.

-Eric